‹ Prequel: Made To Be

New Beginnings

Studio

I arrived at the studio ten minutes before my hour was up an immediately went to the top floor session booths. This was where I did all my recording when I was still properly with the band. Now I was just volunteer help. Sure it paid well, but it left me with too much free time.

I had just set up my guitar and I was about to talk to the band when one of the security guys came up to me.

“There’s this guy downstairs asking for you. Says you invited him to sit in. His name’s Kryce.”

“Yes, he’s a good friend of mine. Bring him up.” I turned away from the guard like guy and went back into the booth where the band was. “Ok guys, let me see what you’ve got, and what you need help on.”

They started in on a few of their ideas to improve their sound, then a knock sounded from the door. “Hold that thought guys, I’ve got to get this.” I walked over to the door and opened it.

“A recording studio? You work at a recording studio?” Kryce asked.

“What? No hug?” I asked smiling playfully.

He smiled too the pulled me into a tight hug. “What exactly do you do here?” he asked when we pulled apart.

“Well, I used to be signed under this label a couple years back, but since the twins cae along, I’m brought in as volunteer help, or something like that. I’m also kind of doing a solo album, but it’s on halt for a little while.” I explained.

“Wow.” His eyes went all wide when he heard my story. “I buy a guy a drink at the bar, and he’s a singer. Damn that’s lucky.”

“Yeah, but I’ve got to get to work. Don’t be afraid to toss something in for me, any help is good help.” I laughed and went back to my seat and Kryce sat beside me soon after.

It was about two hours into our session when one of the band members addressed me directly. “Shylar, what have you been working on lately? I haven’t heard any news of your album’s release, is everything going good?” It was the drummer who had spoken to me. We had been ok friends in high school, but we never really did talk all that much.

“It’s not going so well…writers block. I got a chorus down for this one song, but that’s about it.”

“Can we hear it? Please?” he asked.

“Awe come on Shy, I’d like to see what you can do.” That was the first time Kryce ever called me Shy. I didn’t even tell him that nickname…maybe he picked it up since he got here.

“Alright.” I picked up my guitar and retuned it a little before starting in on a set of chords, and then lyrics.

Nothing matters anymore
Trying to find the open door
To a life that’s so much better
Then the state he was left in
Never finding that one person
Who can pick up all the pieces
Of what’s left of his shattered heart
And the empty soul he has become

I finished it up the set my guitar back on the stand. They all looked at me with smiles of understanding and I felt a hand grasp my own. I looked over at Kryce and he smiled softly and brushed a tear off my cheek.

I hadn’t realized I was crying until he did that. I felt kind of stupid for crying in front of the band, but it they knew my story they’d understand.

“You miss him don’t you?” Kryce asked.

I nodded and sniffled a little bit before hugging him tightly. I was crying hard, but I managed to be quiet about it. It wasn’t easy, but I managed it.

“What made you write that Shy?” Liam, the singer asked.

I sniffled softly then began. “My high school boyfriend, then husband, died two years ago. Car crash. He lived just long enough for me to get to the hospital, tell him I loved him and give him one last kiss before I had to say goodbye.” Tears fell down my cheeks again as everyone said their own form of condolences. I got hugs from everyone as well.

“I didn’t know you were gay.” The drummer asked. I think is name was Jake. “I mean, I had my suspicions, but seeing you with Kryce there and then that story kind of proves it.”

“Kind of?” I ask.

“Well yeah, I mean, you know, I haven’t seen any real physical proof so I don’t really know.” he stuttered.

I was about to open my mouth to respond when Kryce pulled me into him and kissed me roughly, but passionately. I don’t know how that works, but it just does. I kissed him back and placed my hand on the side of his neck. He did the same.

After a few seconds he pulled away and looked at Jake. “Proof enough?” Jake nodded.

“You…kissed…me.”

“And I’d do it again in a heartbeat.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments:
Hayley_Horizon