‹ Prequel: Purple Hearts

Hope

Torn

The Present

Hope couldn’t sleep for thinking about her 18th birthday party the next day. All her friends were coming; some she hadn’t seen for ages like, Eddy. There was also going to be a visit from a couple of members of MCR who were touring again. She’d only met them once before when they came to the house for one of her grandfather’s birthdays. Aunt Ramona had told her that her mother had once been engaged to Gerard. She loved her Aunt Ramona as much as she loved her mother, yeah, her mother and her were pretty close and they shared so much but she found out a lot more about her mother by talking to Aunt Ramona. There was lots about her mother she’d found out from her and she wished sometimes that her mother would open up just that little bit more to her, it was as though she hid the past away for some reason.

She hated talking about ‘the accident.’ That’s how people talked about it, well when they talked about it. It was hardly spoken about, especially not by her mother who had died and been brought back to life apparently. Of course she herself couldn’t remember it because she had only been a few days old at the time.

Walking to her bedroom mirror, thoughts of the crash made her check her scar in the mirror once more. It had faded over the years but it was still visible but she hated it, she hated herself sometimes, she was too skinny, her hair was dark and wild and her eyes too close together.. Well, that’s what she thought but everyone else seemed to think she was pretty. They must be blind she thought running her finger over the long scar across her cheekbone. If only she could look like Charlotte with her golden hair, blue eyes, long legs and great figure. It just wasn’t fair. Charlotte who was her best friend along with her twin brother Jared. Charlies children who he’d never got to meet.

She still couldn’t believe that her mother had been engaged to Gerard Way. He was so good looking, even at his age, some of her friends had the hots for him but she couldn’t be bothered to tell them that she’d met him once. Well, they’d see it for themselves tomorrow because he was coming along with his brother Mikey.

My mother had been engaged to Gerard Way. Weird. Would I ever be engaged? Who would want me like that?

Would she herself ever be engaged? She hoped so; her feelings for Eddy were strong at the moment. They’d grown close the last time she’d seen him and he would be there tomorrow at the party.

But then there was Jared. She knew he liked her; he’d always been around, like a cousin. They shared so much, she was sure he liked her more than he’d ever told her but it wasn’t him she wanted.

Going once more to the window she watched them all in the garden getting everything ready for the party. The members of Green Day were standing around holding their drinks and laughing at her grandfather as always, he was always making them laugh. It was hard to believe that they’d split up for some time all those years ago and had got back together the night of the 'the accident'. They were still making records, still so popular and involved with so many charities and humanitarian organisations. She couldn’t imagine a world without Green Day.

She looked over at her dress hanging on the door in its zip up bag, a black silk dress. She always chose black; she was wearing a black dress the last time she’d seen Eddy. She remembered his eyes looking at her wearing it then he’d commented on how she’d looked.

She couldn’t wait to see him tomorrow.

The Past

Tre had gone home to get changed; he hadn’t slept the whole night. None of them had up until now; now that Franky had woken and was going to be OK they could relax a little but Billie didn’t want to leave the hospital just yet. He looked and felt awful but as he sat on the chair alongside where Franky lay, he took her hand in his and thanked God that she was back with them.

She’d died yesterday but luckily they'd managed to resuscitate her before they were about to give up on her. Thank God she was back with him. It was devastating that they hadn’t been able to do that with Charlie. For poor Charlie had died instantly in the crash, the crash where the driver of the lorry had lost control and had ploughed into Franky's little mini. Charlie had driven them home from the gig that evening because Hope had asked him to, she was tired from lack of sleep so her and Hope had sat in the back while Adrienne and Charlie had got into the front.

It was Adrienne that had told him all this.

Poor Adrienne who was lying in the room next door.

He’d literally just had to tell his ex wife who he was still so very fond of that her boyfriend Charlie had died. After sobbing uncontrollably she’d gone on to tell him that she was pregnant with Charlie’s twins and that he’d wouldn’t ever see his babies grow up, how was she going to cope without Charlie? She’d loved him so much.

He’d held her and let her cry and he’d told her that he’d be there for her, he’d always be there and he’d do anything she wanted. Of course he would, she was the mother of his children, they’d had a rough time in the past but they’d got through it. They’d shared so much together; they’d had some good times while they were married. So how could he abandon her now?

Then there was little Hope. She was in hospital too but would be coming out later and Tre and Julia were taking her home with them. She’d had a cut on her cheek and had to have ten stitches but they’d said it would fade in time and would be OK. Poor little soul had almost lost her mother. Billie felt sick thinking about it. They’d nearly lost Franky, she’d nearly left him. What would he do without her?

Franky stirred in front of him and opened her huge blue eyes. He loved her so much and couldn’t wait to begin their life together but he had to tell her now that her old friend Charlie had died in the accident. It was something he was dreading.

She was going to miss Charlie and so was Adrienne.

He was going to have to be there for both of them, the only two women he’d ever loved.

Billie just hoped things wouldn’t get complicated because Adrienne was going to need more care than Franky because she’d been told she’d never walk again and with two little babies on the way she was going to need him more, probably more than Franky would.