‹ Prequel: Purple Hearts

Hope

Tomorrow

"Hey Jakob, are you OK?" Shouted Adrienne.

Jakob didn't answer. He wasn't OK, not really. Sometimes he felt normal and other times he didn't. What was normal anyway? He thought. He needed to speak to someone about how he was feeling, he was confused. This girl Amy had asked him out today, she was pretty, yeah but....he didn't want to go out with her. There was someone else. Someone else that he really quite liked and hadn't stopped thinking about for a couple of weeks now. Josh. Josh who sat next to him in History lessons. He had the hots for Josh, he didn't want to have the hots for Josh but he did. He wanted to have the hots for Amy like most of the other kids in his class and...if he didn't go out with her, they'd all guess his secret.

"Jakob! Are you up there? I've made some food for you?" He heard his mother's voice once more.

"Coming!" He shouted back. He didn't know who to turn to, may be he'd just go out with Amy after all, she was pretty and he was sure he'd get to like her. Suddenly he thought of Franky and wondered if he could get to talk to her about things. She was open and seemed quite caring and understanding, he'd known her for years and he'd often asked her things about his homework. He knew he could open up to her easily. Yes. Franky seemed a good choice.

**

"Where the fucking hell have you been?" Shouted Tre as he heard the key in the front door. He'd been getting so worried.

"What? What's wrong?" Said Julia coming into the house, litte Hope in her arms.

"Where have you been? I've been calling you." Said Tre looking anxiously at Julia.

"I've been next door Tre, like I said in my note." She said frowning at him. What was his problem?

"What note?" Said Tre. Had he overreacted here? She'd been gone ages.

"This note," she said going into the kitchen and removing a Drumming Magazine from the kitchen table. Underneath was a note.

Tre took it.

Tre. i've just popped next door to see that old lady that has moved in. She saw me out walking with little Hope earlier and said would I come in and keep her company. I'll try not to be too long, my phone is out of charge but just knock if you need me home.

Love you, J xx


Tre sighed. "I'm sorry Julia, I don't know what came over me, its just that you were gone ages and I didn't know where you were. Sorry."

"Its OK Tre but....you got real angy with me just then, you scared me." Julia said and he had, the way he'd shouted at her, she hadn't seen him like that before. She hoped everything was OK with him. With them. Was he having his doubts about her living here after all. She hoped not, she loved him with all her heart, if only she could fall pregnant and have his baby, she was sure that would make them even closer. Why couldn't nature do its work? She thought to herself as Tre came to her and held her tight. He didn't say anything and neither did she.

**

"Right, I'm going to have to get out of this bed and go and get Hope." Said Franky, rolling over to look at Billie, he was dozing, she knew he wasn't asleep, she knew him so well.

"Hey," he said, his eyes opening wide, "I'll go, I need to talk to Tre about a couple of those new songs. How about I take her some food over there and then I'll feed her and give you some more time to yourself."

"If you're sure," said Franky thinking how thoughtful Billie was. She could do with a nice soak in the bath and she wanted to call up Bono's wife, tell her she was still interested in the charity work.

"Course I'm sure, its...going to be great you know." Said Billie leaning over and kissing her on the lips, those sweet heart shaped lips that she adored.

She watched him get out of bed and dress himself in his usual black jeans, a scruffy old t shirt that was once white but was now a greyish shade was flung over his head, mussing up his hair and she smiled as he tried to locate the pair of socks that had been thrown somewhere earlier during their throes of passion.

"Gotcha," said Billie reaching under the bed then sitting down on the bed, he put the socks on.

"I love you," she said, "and I'm going to enjoy watching you get dressed every day."

"While I," said Billie, "will enjoy watching you get un-dressed." He said coming over to the bed and hugging her. "Now get some time to yourself, you hear? I'll call you when I'm leaving Tre's."

"OK," said Franky said but then Billie noticed her glancing away. She looked thoughtful all of a sudden.

"Are you OK?" Billie asked.

She turned to him. "I'm fine, just fine. Don't be too long, I want to cook you something special." She said.

"I won't." Billie replied then was gone.

She was surprised that he hadn't realised what she'd been thinking, he always seemed to know about her feelings and tomorrow...she thought he would have remembered about tomorrow.

**

Ramona lay on her bed.

She heard her father and Julia bickering earlier, so unlike them she thought, they never ever argued and she began to wonder if it was because of the date tomorrow.

It must be.

There was no other reason for it and it made her feel guilty once again for the way she'd been back then.

**

After taking her bath and feeling slightly disappointed with Billie as she'd soaked, Franky put on her robe and brushed her damp hair from her face and decided to get herself a cup of coffee but as she got to the bottom of the stairs the doorbell went. It couldn't be Bilie back already she thought then glanced at the figure through the glass.

Tall.

Slim.

She recognised the build as she watched the figure run his hand through his hair.

It was Gerard.