‹ Prequel: Purple Hearts

Hope

He Remembered

He looked good.

He looked...gorgeous, like before, like when she first met him back then, he looked how he looked when she first really got to talk to him at the Grammys.

And...his eyes, could...no, no they were nothing like Hope's eyes...or were they? Were they the same shape as his? The very same colour?

Her heart pounded in her chest as he looked down at her and she drew her robe together self consciously.

"Hey," said his voice.

"Hi....Gerard, you...you were the last person I was expecting." She said.

"I know, sorry, may be I should have called up first but I was in the area. I called at Billie's house and Adrienne...poor Adrienne, we chatted and she told me all about you and Billie. I can't believe how she is and...poor, poor Charlie, I can't believe it."

"I know. I know, its been a terrible time but....look," she said feeling as though she should invite him in. What would Billie think if she found him here? "Why don't you come in?"

"I'd like that." He said entering the hallway.

"I'll quickly go and get changed, go through," she said indicating the sitting room.

"Thanks," said Gerard.

While she was getting changed she knew.

She knew he was no longer drinking and taking drugs, she could just tell. He'd gone and cleaned himself up, as promised, with the help of Billie.

Sighing, she brushed her damp hair through.

Gerard could be Hope's father, he's always wanted kids, he told me she thought as she placed the hairbrush down onto the dressing table and if...if Hope was his then I'm keeping him from his daughter and that....that's cruel she thought.

She didn't know what to think but she knew it would have to come out sooner or later and she felt scared. Julia and her father would help her, she'd speak to them tomorrow about how to go about it.

"So, how are you?" She asked on entering the living room, he'd been over checking out some photographs, the one of Hope.

"I'm good, I got out of rehab a couple of weeks ago and...I wanted to stop by and say thanks to Billie. I thought he'd be here."

"He's at Dads, discussing something or other. Hope's there too." She said. Why had she brought Hope up?

"She's beautiful, congratulations." Gerard said turning once more to her picture. "She doesn't look like you."

"A little may be," said Franky knowing she didnt' look a bit like her. "She's a good girl but very lively. Would you like a coffee?"

"No, I promised to meet up with Mikey for dinner." He responded.

"Say hi to him won't you." Franky said, she'd always liked his brother.

"I will. I...I've bought a new apartment, near to the old one," he said then reached into his pocket and bought out a card. She looked at it, it had his address and phone number.

She wondered if she'd ever have to contact him.

"Thanks, I'll let Billie know you called, he's bound to want to catch up with you."

"He's a good guy. You're happy Franky...aren't you? I realised earlier what tomorrow is. I can't believe its been four years since your mother passed."

"It seems like a lifetime ago but I still miss her as if it was this morning." Franky said turning his address card over and over in her hand.

He'd remembered.

He'd remembered and Billie hadn't.

"Come here." Said Gerard noticing how upset he'd become.

So she did, she went to him and let him wrap his arms around her as she cried gently onto his black tee shirt.

"I'm sorry," she said then sniffed and looked up at him.

"Its ok Franky, its not the first time you've cried on me." He said then he laughed and so did she as he reached into his pocket for his hanky.

She giggled. "Its not the first time you've given me a hanky for my snotty nose either," she said.

"And you never did give it back."

"I don't know where it is now." She said then blew her nose loudly causing him to laugh once more.

"I...I'd better go. May be you and Billie could come over and see the new apartment sometime and Franky I have to say that I'm so sorry for what I did. I lost you because of it and its my biggest regret," he said sincerely.

Franky just nodded as she watched him leave the room and heard the front door close.

Then, for some reason that she couldn't explain she ran to the front door to watch him walk down the street.

He'd remembered tomorrow.

And Billie hadn't.