‹ Prequel: Purple Hearts

Hope

Going Home

I had only been in hospital for two days, now I was allowed home and I couldn’t wait. I remembered back to the previous day when everyone had visited and had crowded around this very bed to get a photograph taken. It had been so noisy and there was lots of laughter and fun and I smiled to myself remembering that my little Hope had slept through nearly every minute of it and this pleased me knowing that in a household like ours with loud music and constant noise it was something that she would have to live with.

So far, she had proved to be such a good baby and I couldn’t wait to get her home, to show her where she lived and to meet my faithful dog Milton. I wondered what he’d make of her, we had Milton’s girlfriend living with us too now and had named her Rose, the little dog that we’d had to take in. She’d lived next door with an evil man but that wasn’t something I wanted to think about right then. That was all from my past.

I was just packing up Hope’s things and mine too when there was a knock on the door. I looked up and through the window of the hospital door I could see Hannah peering in.

So she’d come. I wasn’t sure whether or not I’d see her again.

I hadn’t seen her for months; there’d been a disagreement with her brother who had caused trouble with Gerard, he’d got him involved with drinking and drug taking. Hannah of course had sided with James, we’d had a falling out and hadn’t spoken for some time but I missed her company.

I smiled at her and indicated that it was OK to come in. She waddled into the hospital room, still hugely pregnant and I remembered those early days when we both found out we were pregnant and how we said how great it would be that our kids could grow up together. For a while back then I thought it would never happen because of the rift between us but now, seeing her face there was a possibility after all. Everything was OK again.

“I had to come,” she said coming straight over to me and giving me a huge squeeze. “So...where’s your little princess then?” She said going over to Hope’s crib. “Oh my god Franky she’s beautiful but…she doesn’t look like you at all. Is she like the father?” She said.

How was I to know? It could be one of three people but nearly everyone thought it was a one-night stand that I’d had in England. Hannah was one of these people that hadn’t got a clue that the father could either be her brother James, Gerard Way who I had almost married or Billie.

Billie.

I’d loved him forever and had only finally admitted it to him while I was giving birth.

Billie who I so wanted to be the father of Hope but now, I wasn’t sure what to do. How would I ever find out without involving Gerard and James? What if it turned out that the wrong person was the father? May be it was best just not finding out at all.

“I…I can’t really remember,” I said.

“Well he couldn’t have been that good looking for you to not remember him,” Hannah said getting Hope out of the crib, which slightly annoyed me as Hope had been sleeping and I didn’t want to disturb her. Shouldn’t Hannah have asked me if it was OK to pick my daughter up? May be I was being stupid, she was only giving her a cuddle and I didn’t want to start an argument.

“Ouch,” said Hannah all of a sudden and placing the wriggling Hope back into her crib gripped her stomach.

“Are you OK Hannah?” I asked going to her.

“I think…it’s started,” she said.

“Really? Let me get a nurse,” I said to her then pressed the buzzer by the side of my bed.

Hannah was panting through the pain as a nurse arrived into the room and checked her over.

“Yes, you are definitely in labour said the nurse after examining Hannah. Come with me and I’ll walk you slowly down to the delivery room.” She kindly said as she took Hannah’s arm and led her towards the door.

“Franky could you let Ed know so that he can get here as soon as possible,” said Hannah, her faced flushed with nervousness and excitement.

“Of course,” said Franky. “I’ll call him up now.”

Then before Hannah got to the door, it flew open and Tre stood there.

“Taxi for Mom and beautiful baby,” he said, the proud granddad a grin appearing on his face.

“Hi Dad, you’re early, I wasn’t expecting you for half an hour. Listen, we have some more exciting news, Hannah’s about to go and have her baby,” said Franky looking at her Dad.

“That’s great,” said Tre going over to Hannah and giving her a peck on the cheek. “Good luck sweetheart.” He said then went to Franky and gave her a huge hug.

As Hannah was being led away she couldn’t help but glance back at him but he was totally oblivious to her.

Tre.

Who she still couldn’t quite erase from her mind. He was the father of her baby and didn’t even know it. The only other person to know it was Ed, her husband who’d always loved her but she knew she’d never love in return.

Hannah had decided early on that she didn’t want Tre to know about the baby because of the way he’d treated her.

But a tiny little part of her wondered if one day, he’d ever find out.