‹ Prequel: Purple Hearts

Hope

An Unwanted Visitor

They'd been busy for most of the morning getting ready for everyone's arrival. She'd called nearly everyone up and they were all due to come, she was pretty excited and Billie had been great, he'd prepared loads of food and was now showering before everyone arrived. Hope was taking a nap and Franky was all dressed and ready. She checked herself in the hall mirror. She looked tired, her hair needed to be cut but she felt good at the moment, better than yesterday, she felt she had more energy, she suddenly felt she wanted to do something.

But what?

She just didn't know.

The house phone rang then, disturbing her from her thoughts and she was surprised to hear Bono's wife at the other end.

"That's so kind of you, thank you for remembering," she said into the phone. "Yes, yes I'm still interested in supporting the charity, I'd love to do as much as I can. Yes I still write, though not since Hope has been born, somehow I just don't get the time. In Ireland? I don't know, I'm not sure. I'll...think about it. Thank you so much and thank you for calling me. I'll let you know. Bye."

So, thought Franky, Bono's wife wanted her to go to Ireland, to go there for a few weeks and help her with some charity issues. She said that Bono was interested in reading some of her songs, that he had a band and he was sure that some of her songs would suit them. How would he know about her songs? May be Billie had spoken to him before about some of her work. How could she go now though? Bono's wife said that her and Hope could both go, there were plenty of people to take care of Hope while she did some charity work, that she had a fantastic nanny of her own who looked after her children and she would help Franky out.

She'd love to go, she'd love to go and spend time there doing what she was meant to do. To write and support the breast cancer charity but she wasn't sure it was the right thing to do right now. Was it?

**

"Did I hear the phone?" Billie said as he came into the room. He was dressed but his hair was wet and he was rubbing it dry with a towel, that jet black hair she adored.

"It was Bono's wife." Franky said then went on to explain to him what she'd said. He had his back to her as she was telling him, fiddling around with some mugs on kitchen surface, not looking at her as she spoke. When she'd finished explaining there was total silence. He hates the idea she thought, I shouldn't have even thought for an instant that it was the right thing for me to do.

"You should go," he said turning to her.

She knew he wasn't entirely happy with the situation but...she also knew that he'd never stop her from doing something that she wanted to do. That was what he was like. "If you really want to go then you should do it. Don't ever regret not doing something you want to do. I'll be busy here, we're going to organise the new album and speak to some new management. Go Franky, its only for a few weeks, it will do you good. Its your own thing remember."

He came towards her then and hugged her. How could she have doubted him yesterday, how could she suddenly have these weird feelings for Gerard again when she had someone like Billie right here, wanting her like he did?

She was an idiot.

"I'd like to go but if you don't want me to Billie that's fine." She said speaking into his chest.

"Franky, I don't want you to go but I'd like you to go. For yourself. You understand?" He said and she did. Of course she understood him.

She loved him so much.

**

Everyone had come.

Everyone had come to remember her mother. How could they possibly forget her? She'd left an imprint on nearly everyone who'd met her and those who'd only heard about her.

Stories had been told, some photographs had been shown and everyone was in a happy mood. Franky stood at the kitchen window, watching everyone, everyone that mattered to her was here.

"Hey Franky," said a voice and she turned.

It was Joey.

Joey, who had once had this huge crush on her, a pretty dangerous crush but it was all forgotten now. He'd grown up, grown up into a handsome young man so much like his Dad. He was a good guy, a talented photographer and had looked up to her old friend Charlie. She hoped he'd be successful.

"Hi Joey, you OK?" Franky responded.

"I'm...OK. Listen Franky, can I ask you something?" He said coming to stand alongside her, his voice dropping as though he didn't want anyone else to hear. Not that there was anyone else in the room.

"Of course." Franky said, wondering what he had to say. "What is it?"

"There's this girl." He said glancing down. "I...really like her and...I don't know what to do about it."

Franky smiled, Joey was pretty shy around girls and always had been. She was sure that Ramona had a thing for him once, she'd seen the odd glance Ramona had given him but just recently she hadn't noticed it. May be there was nothing between them after all.

"Just go for it." Franky said remembering all the years she'd wasted when she could have been with Billie. "If you like her, tell her or ask her out. Just get in there Joey and do it, she'll either say yes and you'll wonder why you were worried about ever talking to her in the first place or...or she'll reject you and if she does," she said putting her hand out onto his arm. "Then she wasn't worth it in the first place. Don't waste time on this one, if you really like her, do it. Because in the end, you'll regret it if you don't."

"Somehow I knew you were going to say something like that. I'll do it soon, I like her so much. Thanks Franky." He said then bent to kiss her cheek then was gone, out the kitchen to join the others in the garden. She couldn't help but smile at him.

**

After Joey had spoken to her she could hear Hope waking from her nap so went upstairs to get her, entering her bedroom she sees that someone is already there.

Its Ramona and she glances up when Franky opens the door.

"She's gorgeous, Franky, I hope you didn't mind me coming in here. I heard her when I was in the bathroom."

"Of course I don't mind. I think she knows you already." Franky said watching Ramona lift her daughter from the crib.

"I saw you talking to Joey earlier." Ramona said. "What...what was he saying to you?"

"I don't know if I should tell you," Franky said, "he asked me something in confidence."

"Oh. Was it...was it about some girl?" Ramona said then began making cooing noises at Hope.

"It...might have been." Franky responded, knowing she shouldn't really be saying anything at all. "Why do you want to know?"

"No reason." Ramona said and then Franky could see it in her eyes. She still liked Joey, she must havealways liked him, from right back.

"You like him don't you?" She asked. Ramona would only deny it if she was wrong about this.

Then Ramona walked over and handed Hope to Franky. "No. I don't like him."

"Oh?" Franky said, surprised she was sure she did. She was sure she could see it in her.

"I don't like him Franky because I love him."

"Oh Ramona," said Franky. "I thought you liked him some time ago."

"I still do. I always have. I can't eat because of him. I can't eat and I can't sleep."

"I thought you'd been losing weight. Please be careful Ramona."

"But I'm fat, I'm fat and ugly and....,"

"Ramona stop it. Stop this or I'm telling Dad."

Ramona sighed. "I...want to be slim like you."

"I'm too thin, look at my knobbly knees and bony elbows, and look at you. You're curvy, you have a gorgeous figure, you have boobies I'd die for," Franky said trying to make light of the situation but she was worried about Ramona. She'd always wanted to be like her. Why? For the life of her she didn't know.

"Just be yourself Ramona, you're different to me, you're so intelligent and bright. Don't live in my shadow. We're different people."

"How do I get Joey to notice me?" Ramona said.

"Well you're going about it all wrong. You've known Joey for so long, can't you just tell him. Tell him how you feel Ramona and then you'll know."

"I think he likes someone else." Ramona said.

Franky didn't like to tell her that was what they'd been discussing. She felt concerned, worried about what Ramona was going to do to herself over her feelings for Joey.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door disturbing their conversation and a head popped itself round the door.

It was Hannah.

"Hey!" Said Franky, excited to see her friend of old. "I wondered when you were going to get here."

"Sorry we're late, we got a little held up but....we're here now and....James is with us."