‹ Prequel: Purple Hearts

Hope

Just Hurry Home To Me

"James is here?" Franky said, shocked, shocked because although Hannah had said he was around she really didn't think he'd come now, not to the party, not while everyone was here. Everyone hated him, had he forgotten?

"Yes. He's downstairs talking to your father." Hannah said.

"Oh my god, Dad'll be so angry, I have to get down there before a fight starts." She said standing up but Hannah came forward and spoke to her.

"They're talking, its OK, I think...I think you'll understand when you see him."

"Understand? Understand what?" Franky said, confused. She couldn't believe that James had turned up, evil James who had caused so much trouble for her, evil James who Billie would kill if he saw him, let alone have him in the house.

"He's changed. He's grown up and he's sorry. It was the drink and the drugs that made him like he was, we didn't realise that he was on them since he was young, he was fourteen when someone got him into them. He's clean and its all thanks to Billie."

Franky was confused, so now James was going to be the good guy and because he'd been on drugs it was as though he was forgiven. Well, she couldn't forgive him, he'd split her and Gerard up and had almost raped her once. He'd tricked her into sleeping with him. Had everyone forgotten this?

"I don't think I want to see him. Not here, not now." Franky said but then heard a knock at the bedroom door. It opened and she saw two faces. Her father's and Billies.

"James is here," Tre said.

"He wants to talk with you," Billie said.

"I can't see him. I don't want to see him." Said Franky but as soon as she said it she knew she was wrong, they'd obviously spoken to him and wanted her to speak to him too. She felt like a brat for refusing. But he'd almost raped her. They must have forgotten what he was really like.

"He won't stay," said Hannah, "he just wants to make his peace with you, its part of his recovery process. He's moved on."

So he'd moved on. Had she? Had she moved on? Of course not because James could be Hope's father.

All this had to end soon, she was going to have to find out and then may be she could move on properly.

"OK. OK, I'll see him."

**

He looked good, very good. He'd put weight on, his hair was clean and he had that old sparkle in his eyes that she remembered when she was younger and had first met Hannah.

"I'm sorry to intrude Franky but...I needed to speak to you. I'm going away soon with my new band. I have a girlfriend and we're doing a small tour."

"You look well," Franky said mustering up the courage to speak to him. There was no way that she wanted him to be the father. No way.

"Thanks. Listen Franky, I'm not going to stay long but I had to say I'm sorry for what I've done and that if I could turn the clock back in any way then I would. Please forgive me, I was young and full of drugs. I kept it secret but then it took a hold. I spent thousands of dollars and hated myself but still couldn't stop. When I met you I thought I could change but I couldn't and i just made it worse for myself. I...really loved you Franky but i have someone else now, I'm going to ask her to marry me on this tour and we want to start a family soon. But I have to say that if it wasn't for Billie I...I could be dead now, dead in a gutter somewhere. I owe him so much, I could never repay him in any way. He's a good guy, I'm glad you're together. He's right for you, he always was, its a shame we didn't see it back then." He laughed then, a small laugh and his face lit up and suddenly it was the old James.

"I hope she says yes," Franky said and suddenly she felt as though she wanted him to be happy, even after all he'd done. "I hope it all works out for you."

"Thanks. Hey, I hear you have a beautiful daughter." James said as he started opening the front door to leave.

"Yes. Yes I do, she's beautiful." Franky responded. And she could be yours.

**

Later, in bed Billie drew her to him in a tight hug.

"So, have you decided? Are you going to Ireland to help Bono's wife?"

He felt her nod against his chest. "Yes, I'm going to go soon, just for a little while, its something I feel i should do. Are you sure you're OK with it?" She said.

"Of course its OK with me, I love you, I always will, just hurry home to me, yeah." Billie said pulling her to him even tighter, if that was possible.

"Don't worry, I won't stay away long." Franky said, closing her eyes against him.

But she was wrong because she didn't return to California for three years.