‹ Prequel: Purple Hearts

Hope

The Party - 4

"Hi Hope," said Eddy.

"Eddy!" Says Hope and flings herself onto him. "I'm so glad you came. Where's your parents?"

"Well Dad, Dad won't be coming," said Eddy as he came into the house, "he's feeling unwell and Mom, well, I thought she'd be here by now, she rushed off ahead of me."

"I don't think she is here, come on, come through and meet everyone."

**

Franky's face was white, ashen white.

"Hannah I don't believe it. Eddy is my half brother?"

Franky was pacing up and down in her bedroom, Hannah, still distraught and a total mess was sitting on the bed nervously playing with a tissue.

Hannah nodded.

"And Eddy is my father's son and you've kept it from him for all these years?" She said, her voice getting higher as realisation set in.

She looked at Hannah's face. She didn't know what she felt for her. Sorry? Disgusted? How could she be disgusted for she herself had done the very same thing and this was another side to the story. She herself had kept Hope away from half brothers, step sisters. She should be ashamed too.

She sat down beside Hannah and put her arm around her.

"He has to know and he has to know soon. You know that don't you?"

Of course he does, he has to know like they have to know. You should be ashamed of yourself Franky, you've kept a father from his daughter, all those missing years that they could have shared. You're shameful.

"I know. I'm scared, I'm ashamed and disgusted with myself." Hannah said.

"What about Ed does he know?"

Hannah nodded. "He's always known, he pretented Eddy was his so he could be with me. he hates me now, has hated me for years, he's left us."

"I'm sorry Hannah, god, what a mess."

"It is, oh Franky please, please can you get Tre and do this with me. He needs to know and...so does Eddy. I think Eddy likes Hope, he needs to know before something happens between them."

"I agree. Listen, let me go and get Dad for you."

"I'm scared. Oh Franky, you don't know how this feels."

"Actually Hannah, I do and before I get Dad I think there's something you should know."

**

"Tre, I'm so very sorry. Its unforgiveable of me." Hannah said. She felt sick, sick to the stomach. Tre's face hadn't changed while telling him. She wanted a reaction but so far she was getting nothing from him.

"I have another son? Eddy's my son." Tre said and wandered over to the window. His eyes found his newly found son talking to his grandaughter Hope. They were smiling at each other. Hope looked so happy. Shit.

"Yes. He's your son and Ed knew and brought him up as his own."

"Hannah, I know why you did this. Because of the way I treated you. Discarding you when I knew you felt something for me."

"Yes Tre that's why I did it but...you didn't deserve it, not really." Hannah looked at Franky unable to believe what she'd told her about Hope's father or fathers, she'd always thought that Franky was just so perfect without any troubles or worries. She'd always thought she had the perfect life.

How wrong she'd been.

**

"You like Eddy don't you?" Ramona said to Hope.

"Yeah...yeah I like Eddy, he's cool." Hope said as she drank the last of the champagne from the glass.

"Just...cool?" Ramona said.

"Oh shut up Ramona."

"No, I won't shut up, I think you really like him. I saw him looking at you earlier, I think he likes you."

"I said shut up, so what if he likes me. Anyway, have Charlotte and Jared arrived yet?"

"Of course not, don't you think you'd have heard Charlotte's voice if she was?"

"I know."

"Yeah, you just wanted to change the subject. Ooh...he's coming over."

"Oh...shut up Ramona!" Hope said as she turned to Eddy.

"Can I get you another drink Hope?" Eddy said.

"Yeah, why not. Thanks." Hope said then Eddy turned to her.

"Your friends Charlotte and Jared, they're coming aren't they, they were such good fun the last time I came."

"Of course they're coming, they wouldn't miss it for the world."

"Good...that's good." Said Eddy.

**

"So where is she?" Came this loud voice. Charlotte, loud but such fun.

"I'm here," said Hope coming to the door to meet her best friend and her twin, Jared.

"Happy Birthday," said Jared kissing Hope on the cheek. "You look good."

"Thanks." Hope said taking the gift they'd brought. "Come on in."

But Charlotte had already gone through and none of them noticed Eddy watching them.

**

"Mom? You OK?" Said Charlotte. Adrienne was alone in the kitchen.

"I'm fine sweetheart. Just fine."

"You just look a little...sad, that's all, you thinking about Dad?"

"Yes, I'm thinking about Dad. I loved him you know, I loved Charlie your father so much but now, now its time to move on. I've been asked out on a date and....and I'm not sure if I should go or not."

"Of course you should go," said Charlotte loudly. She couldn't do anything quietly. "Who is it? Tell me?"

"Its...its Gerard."

"Oh my god, thats great, wait until I tell everyone." Said Charlotte and Adrienne knew that her secret was blown, the whole world would now know that she was going out on a date with Gerard.

**

"Here's your drink. You OK?" Said Eddy.

"I'm fine, thanks, its good to see you again, will you be here for long?" She asks him.

"Yes, I'm staying, hopefully going to live here, get some work and stay. I love it in California."

"That's great, we can see so much more of you."

"I know, its going to be great round here."

**

Charlotte watches Eddy and Hope together and a stab of jealously like she's never felt before goes through her. Hope looks beautiful, Eddy gorgeous, they'd make a great couple. A beautiful couple. Perfect.

What was she to do?

**

"Franky are you OK?" Said Jared. He loved Franky, she was so easy to talk to and fun. He'd bumped into her as he came out of the bathroom, he felt nervous this evening but he had to do it.

"Hi Jared, yes, yes I'm fine, just tired, its been a busy day." And it was going to be a long night, of that she was sure. "Are you OK?" She asked Jared. She loved this boy like her own daughter, always had time for everyone.

"Can I talk to you please Franky." Then he blushed.

"What is it Jared, of course you can talk to me. Are you OK?"

"I'm fine its just that...I'm in love with Hope."

"Oh Jared." Said Franky. This she wasn't expecting. Poor guy. She was sure that Hope didn't feel the same way.

"Yeah, I know, I'm a lost cause but, I've decided to tell her."

"Are you sure thats the right thing Jared, really?" Franky said. Her head was pounding with everything today. This she didn't need.

"I just need to say it Franky. I need to tell her." Then he was gone, disappeared out into the garden to find Hope while Franky went to find Eddy, to find him and take him to his mother where she was going to explain all about Tre.