‹ Prequel: Purple Hearts

Hope

Billie Speaks To Franky

I moved away from the window, my heart racing and feeling so disappointed because he hadn’t come. Why not? Had he changed his mind about us after I’d told him only two days ago, finally, finally told him that I loved him? I thought that was what he wanted to hear. May be he hadn’t want it after all.

I walked away from the window, I could hear that Dad was back in the house, I could hear him saying goodbye to Charlie and Adrienne and Mike and Aunt Jen. I fleetingly wondered how she was feeling now, better I hoped after her lie down. I must catch up with her properly and make the effort to go and see her.

Then there was a knock at the door, it was Dad, I knew it was and he was going to tell me that Billie didn’t want me after all. I glanced over at Hope in her crib, my tiny little gorgeous bundle. Perhaps he doesn’t want you, perhaps you’ve complicated matters I thought but then you could be his. I was going to have to tell him.

“Franky?” I could hear Dad’s voice outside the door, I wanted to find out why Billie hadn’t come but then at the same time I didn’t, I didn’t want to be disappointed yet again.

**

“You go straight to bed when we get home,” said Mike to Jen. He was a little concerned for her, she looked dreadful and had slept most of the time at Tre’s house. Sam had been looked after all evening mainly by Estelle, Ramona and Emily. May be he should call up a doctor and get him to come out for a visit, perhaps she needed a pick-me-up.

“I’d like that,” said Jen closing her eyes in the front seat of their car as Mike put the baby seat containing Sam in the back, he closed the door and then drove them home.

Not once did she look back at her son. In her mind she didn’t want to get attached to him because what was the point?

**

“Shall we finally tell them tomorrow?” Asked Adrienne linking her arm through Charlie’s as they walked home together.

“Of course we can,” said Charlie smiling at Adrienne’s eagerness.

“It’s going to be great, all the kids growing up together and now ours will be joining them.” She said. I’m so excited, I’ve always wanted a little girl and now we are going to have two of them. Twin girls, how fantastic Charlie,” she said excitedly. She never thought she’d find love again like this, not after what her and Billie once shared. She thought that was her lot. She’d had a thing for Tre some time back but that embarrassingly came to nothing. Now she had her Charlie, she loved him so much and she was going to have his daughters.

**

“Stay away from Joey.” Said Ellie. They were just about to leave, Ramona was in the hallway saying goodbye when Joey realised he’d left something behind and had left her alone with Ellie.

“What?” Said Ramona, shocked but then not shocked at this girls words.

“You heard. I’ve seen you looking at him. He’s mine, you hear? Go and get yourself your own boyfriend, fat girl,” she said spitting the words at Ramona, hoping to scare her but Ramona wasn’t scared easily. She was a tough cookie, just like her father had always called her.

Just then Joey arrived, kissed Ramona on the cheek and said his goodbyes, Ellie said her goodbyes too then mouthed ‘fat girl’ once more at Ramona. She felt sorry for Joey, stuck with her. Of course she liked him but if he liked this girl Ellie then that was up to him, hopefully he’d find out soon what she was really like.

**

“Can I come in?” Said Tre poking his head around the door.

“Of course,” said Franky. Lets get it over with then.

“Billie didn’t come back with me,” said Tre going over to his daughter. She wasn’t looking at him, just staring down at little Hope.

“I know.” She said.

“He wants you to go there,” said Tre.

”What?” said Franky. He wants me to go there. He still wants me?

”He wants you to go there, so that he can talk with you properly and I can’t say that I blame him, the two of you won’t get a chance to talk in this house.” Said Tre.

“He wants me to go to his I…I didn’t expect that,” said Franky. “I’ll have to pack some things for Hope,” she said.

“Why don’t you leave her here with us, Julia can’t wait to get her hands on her, she’ll be fine.”

“I don’t know how long I’ll be,” said Franky suddenly feeling apprehensive about leaving her daughter for the first time.

“Listen, if you intend to stay for quite a while then I can always bring Hope to you,” said Tre, “but spend a couple of hours with him, it’ll do the both of you good. He needs to know about Hope.” Said Tre.

“I know,” said Franky bending over and kissing her daughter.

“You want me to take you?” Said Tre.

”No, its fine, I can drive myself over. I’ll call you in a while to see how she is,” said Franky.

“Of course, but she’ll be fine with us,” he said watching his daughter leave the bedroom.

He hoped it all worked out OK for her. He’d talked with Billie for ages and Billie had told him his feelings about being too old but Tre could only suggest that he talk to Franky about that, she was the one that he should be talking to. A little bit of him thought Billie was being selfish, Franky had just had a baby after all, and she didn’t need this.
**

He seemed to take ages to answer the door but it probably wasn’t ages, it was probably just me feeling anxious about the whole thing. I’d decided to tell him about Hope, may be not this evening but very very soon. I was nervous about how he was going to react but it had to be said, it was only fair.

“Hi,” he said opening the door wide as usual to let me in.

As I brushed past him I could smell his body scent, I loved it and I loved him so much, I just hope he realised how much. I was ready to be with him at last, I’d pack up everything right now and bring Hope here to just be with him, one little family.

“How are you?” He said. I couldn’t read his face. For the first time in the entire time I’d known him I couldn’t read him and this disturbed me a little.

“I’m…good,” I said nervously, why the hell was I feeling nervous? The air felt slightly awkward and I couldn’t work out why. I knew he loved me, he’d told me and I him.

“And that beautiful little daughter of yours?” He said indicating to go through to the Living Room.

“She’s wonderful,” and she could be your daughter, I hope she is. I thought as I went and sat down on his huge sofa.

But he didn’t sit next to me, just stood there looking at me, awkwardly and then he spoke.

“I need to speak with you,” he said then turned away.

“Oh. Is everything OK?” I asked, my heart starting to pound.

“Well, you know I love you don’t you?” He said looking at me. He looked tired and worried about something.

“Yes and I love you too,” I responded. What was it he had to tell me?

“I love you Franky but…what I need to tell you, I’m not sure you’re going to like.”