‹ Prequel: Purple Hearts

Hope

Surprise!

Franky had settled Hope in well. She was a good little baby, she slept and smiled often. But Franky was fucked off.

With Billie.

He’d been gone two days now and he’d only communicated by text. Admittedly he’d said he’d loved her in the texts and said he wanted to be with her soon and couldn’t wait to see her but every time she’d called his phone it clicked over to voicemail and when she’d heard that she couldn’t be bothered to even leave him a message.

Dad was up to something too she thought and she’d hardly seen him. Julia said he’d gone to visit Mike as Jen wasn’t that well but somehow she didn’t believe him because she’d visited Mike and Jen herself and he hadn’t been there. This worried her. He was in love with Julia, she knew this, they couldn’t keep their hands off each other so she was sure that her Dad wasn’t having an affair or something. She’d catch him later to find out what was going on.

She was worried about Jen too but while she was there Ramona, Emily and Estelle were there too and seemed to be running around after little Sam while Jen stayed in bed. Mike had said he would get the doctor out to Jen but she didn’t want it yet. She wished she could do more to help but she was busy enough herself with Hope.

**

The house was empty, it was peaceful and quiet and Franky was quite enjoying the rest. Julia had taken Hope out. She was in the basement when the doorbell went so climbed up to the top and noticed Charlie’s tall frame through the glass door.

“Hey Charlie,” said Franky as Charlie came through the door, stopping low as always to give Franky a hug.

“Hi,” said Charlie. “I was just passing and thought I’d look in on my oldest friend and her little girl,” he said.

“Hope’s out with Julia. Julia can’t keep her hands off her, I think secretly she’d like a baby of her own with Dad. I hope it happens for them.” Franky said ushering Charlie into the kitchen.

“Me too, they’re great together,” he said sitting down at the table.

“There’s something I want to tell you,” said Charlie. “I’m so excited Franky, I can’t hold it in. Adrienne’s having twins and I’m so pleased. We can’t wait.”

“Oh my god Charlie, I’m so happy for you, come here,” Franky said holding putting her arms around him. Charlie, a dad, she couldn’t believe it; he’d make such a great dad. She couldn’t wait to see him with his children.

“We were going to tell you all this evening while we’re all out.” He said.

“This evening?” Said Franky.

“Yes, your Dad’s booked us all to see some band or other, he’s booked a box for us all so we get a good view. He did tell you didn’t he?”

“Yes but I’d forgotten. I really don’t want to go, I’d rather get a hot bath and go to bed. Hope still gets me up three times in the night you know.” Said Franky.

“Try and come, I think your father is excited about this band.” Said Charlie. “Do you know what they’re called?”

“I haven’t a clue, I know nothing about them but I have a feeling he’s up to something. I’m wondering now if he’s going to take this band under his wing…you know, manage them may be, he’s so interested in them…whoever they are.”

“Yes he’s brought them up a few times. Listen, when Adrienne tells you about the babies, please act surprised, I think she wants to tell you herself.”

”Of course I will,” said Frank going to sit opposite him.

“I can’t wait. I love Adrienne so very much but sometimes it’s almost too good to be true. I can’t wait to be a Dad and watch them grow and hopefully all our kids will be friends together, its going to be great isn’t it Franky.”

“Yeah, you know, I’m so glad you came over to America, its great having you around especially since I haven’t got mum.”

“I love it here and wish I’d done it sooner,” he said checking his watch. “Listen I’m going to have to go.” He said standing up. Franky stood up too.

“Oh, I meant to ask you earlier, have you told Billie yet…about Hope?”

Franky didn’t answer and Charlie knew.

“Franky please tell him, if it isn’t him that’s her father then so be it but…he needs to know.”

“I know. I’ll do it soon.”

**

It was early evening and everyone was rushing about getting ready to go and see this band.

“Franky!” shouted Tre.

Franky sighed, she had a headache and Hope hadn’t settled all afternoon and she really couldn’t face going out anywhere.

“Yeah?” Shouted Franky.

“I’m going now.”

“Now?” Said Franky, “I thought we were all going together.” She said frowning at her Dad. He looked great, his eyes were sparkling so may be she would go after all, if this was his new project, looking after this band then she’d better go along to support them. He looked excited about them. Whoever they were.

“Yeah, I’m meeting Mike there.”

”Oh is Jen going too?” Franky said.

“No, she’s not well. I think Mike’s concerned for her so he’s definitely getting the doc out to her tomorrow.”

“So what about Sam?” Said Franky.

“Mike’s sister is coming over to look after him. It doesn’t look good to me…listen honey I’m going now. I also said to Charlie that you’d drive over and get him and Adrienne. That OK?”

“I suppose so.”

“I knew you wouldn’t mind. Hey…come here and give me a hug,” said Tre taking his daughter in his arms. “I know I should have asked you first but I knew you wouldn’t mind taking them.”

”Are you sure its OK to bring Hope?” Said Frank as they pulled apart.

“Of course, you’d better bring her.” Said Tre. “See you later honey.” Then he was gone.

**

Ramona was extra excited and Franky couldn’t work out why. She was actually getting on her nerves about this gig. My god it was only some band playing. She was sure Ramona knew something, may be her father had told her he was going to manage them. Julia was driving Ramona, Emily and Estelle, those three were so close and she could hear them discussing Joey Armstrong and heard Ramona say that she hoped he’d be there.

When she got to Adrienne’s and Charlie’s, Charlie offered to driver her little mini but Franky said she’d may be she’d drive them there but could he drive them all home. She’d strapped little Hope into the back in her baby seat and Adrienne insisted on sitting next to her, making cooing noises and stroking her hand.

“So do you know anything about this band Franky?” Adrienne whispered so as not to disturb little Hope.

“I know nothing and to be quite honest I’m not really interested. I have this feeling dad’s up to something with this band, may be he wants our support when he tells us he’s going to manage them.”

“Could be. I hope they’re good, I’ve not seen a live band for ages.” Said Adrienne.

“I haven’t seem one since Green Day,” said Franky.

“I miss hearing them,” said Adrienne.

“Me too.” Said Franky and Charlie at the same time.

**

There were quite a few people crowded into the venue and their little box was up to the left of the stage so they had a great view.

“Where the hell is Dad?” Said Franky to Julia. “He left ages before us, why isn’t he here?”

“He’s probably out the back with the band,” said Ramona.

“What do you know Ramona? Is your father going to manage this new band or something? Is that what it is?” Said Julia who was sure that was what it was and he was going to surprise them with the news after they’d heard the band.

“I thought Uncle Mike was coming?” Said Franky but no one seemed to answer her because suddenly the lights went down and then some cheering began.

Then the noise that came next was unmistakeable.

Those first few chords were totally unmistakeable.

It was the first part of American Idiot.

How weird thought Franky, her Dad wanted to manage a band who played Green Day songs?

But then it all became clear because right in front of her eyes Tre, Mike and Billie came on stage, Tre running towards the drums, smiling all over his face, Billie going over to the microphone to begin singing and Mike playing his bass over to the left of the stage.

Franky and everyone else in their box gasped. So this was what it was all about thought Franky. They’d been planning this gig, Billie probably hadn’t even been away anywhere and it was obvious where her father had now been. They’d all been together, rehearsing probably.

She glanced across at Ramona who was smiling at her.

“You knew,” mouthed Franky to her half sister. Ramona just nodded and Franky was pleased that she knew and she was sure that she’d know for some time. It was what Ramona had needed from her father, something just the two of them knew.

They played amazingly, it was as though they hadn’t been away but the song ended too quickly and the lights came up.

Was that it? Thought Franky. Just a one off song, may be that’s all it would be, just a one off song. For a moment then she’d hoped they’d got together, got back together like they should do.

Billie was speaking into the microphone.

“Hey….you guys. Thank you for coming here tonight. We just thought we’d surprise you all with a little song there and I’m glad you all remembered the words,” he said smiling. He was in his element here and it saddened Franky to think that it may be just that one song before the other band came on.

“I have a few things to say, two important things. Firstly,” he said and then he turned and looked up to our little box, he was looking directly at me. We all waved at him, smiling but he looked serious suddenly. “I’d like to ask the woman I love to marry me. Will you Franky?” He shouted, cheers in the audience beginning. “You will marry me won’t you?” I heard.

I was shocked and put my hand up to my neck. Billie had asked me to marry him, here in front of an audience full of people.

“I will,” I said back to him and for that split second it was like it was just me and him there. “Of course I will.”

He smiled at me, his grin wide and did that thing he did sometimes, putting both his hands together to form a heart, over his heart. God I loved him so much.

Once the audience had calmed down and the spotlight had been removed from our box, Billie spoke again.

“OK…you guys.the other thing I wanted to say was…its about us,” and he put his arm out indicating Mike and Tre. “Green Day, we’re back together and tonight, we’ve got some new songs for you all to listen to…and may be we’ll play a few old favourites too.”

The cloud were screeching and roaring.

So they were back together.

I was so happy for them and just seeing them there, all three of them playing I knew they’d done the right thing.

Like I had in saying I’d marry Billie, it was perfect, it was just right apart from the one thing I needed to tell him.

I so wished I’d told him about Hope sooner.