Status: A work in progress.

The Fantasy

.08

Once outside the wall Hadley immediately looked for Verne, first at the place they had appointed, and then a desperate search of the southern Wasteland. He was growing anxious for the first time today; there was no sign of people anywhere. A sudden panic seized him, he could never go back to Cogitden, and if Verne was wrong… if he was wrong, he would be completely alone in the world. No one, least of all an old man, could get anywhere in this apocalyptic world alone. He called out for Verne, looking to hear the voice in his head with some direction, but there was nothing. He felt alone and abandoned, and suddenly very scared. He sat underneath a scarred and blackened tree that hadn’t grown in years, just waiting. He was waiting for Verne to come, to be caught, for anyone to come, for someone or something to show him the way. Nearly an hour later someone did come, two some ones. They were two young men, there WERE people. Hope coursed through Hadley subduing the panic. Neither of the men seemed to notice him, until he spoke.

“Verne?” Hadley said cautiously. They turned to face him, and Hadley quickly put the knife behind his back, a first impression with blood on his hands would not bode well if he was to lead.

“No.” The first replied. The second shook his head.

“I’m looking for–”

“There’s no one here by the name of Verne,” said the second man.

“There has to be,” said Hadley, almost desperate. “We’ve been–” He was cut off again.

“I’m Adev,” said the first, “and this is Rue,” he motioned to the second. There’s no one in the Wasteland by the name of Verne.”

“But Verne–” Hadley was at a loss for words. Verne was Hadley’s most trusted man. He would not have let Hadley down, at least, not on purpose.

“Do you see anyone?” Rue began angrily. “There’s nothing and no one here. I don’t know who you and why you came to this god-forsaken place because you won’t be finding anything.” Hadley was now getting angry.

“I am Hadley, and I don’t know or care if you remember me or not but there must be someone here–”

“Hadley!” Adev yelled, “Hadley!” Rue looked confused, and Adev continued yelling. “Hadley is the piece of shit that landed us here. My father fought against him years ago.

“Hadley?” Rue looked down at him, a sneer forming on his face. “Oh almighty king, whatever would you want from us lower class?” He said sarcastically.

“He’s plundered all his precious resources hasn’t he?” Adev added. “And now he’s come looking to take ours.”

“We never took your resources!” Hadley cut in, “And I’m not looking to take them now!”

“Was the poor little King thrown out of his city?” Rue said mockingly. Hadley grew angrier. He had felt more emotions today than he had in the entire year.

“Guess what? We have no resources,” Adev dropped the blow on Hadley. There was a cruel silence for a moment, with both Adev and Rue looking for Hadley’s reaction.

“No–” he started, “No! You, you’re not serious. I won’t believe a couple of debauched idiots like you. This isn’t happening!” He burst out.

“Well you’d better believe it.” Adev said maliciously.

“But the wind–”

“Yes there’s wind, great observation. The only thing the wind does is tear down our shelters and rip the lives of our friends away. Welcome to reality, this is the only reality you’ve left us to shape our lives with, it’s all there is. I don’t know –or care– what kind of life you’ve been dreaming up in there but it doesn’t exist here.” Rue smiled with evil intent.

“Get the hell away from me! You’re both liars! I won’t believe you!” Hadley jumped up violently, with the knife in his hand. Their expressions changed from mocking to serious.

“We’re not that friendly…” Rue said menacingly, he and Adev pulled out knives of their own, which looked as if they’d seen much more service.

Hadley turned and ran. He wanted out of the madness, to find someone with reason, someone who could show him the way, and give him what he needed to lead. He’d barely made it four strides when he felt the cold of a blade in his back, and fell heavily onto the ground, in shock. The breath was driven from his body and he made no sound, in his mind he saw Aten dying, the same fate had befallen him. He was pitched into a world of pain when he felt the knife wrenched out of his back. A foot in his side pushed him onto his back, and sent waves of pain through his body. He saw Rue and Adev standing over him, Rue’s knife dripping blood, his blood.

“Pathetic,” he heard Adev’s voice through the haze of pain.

“They– they can’t…” he gave up. He turned his head looking away from his murderers, but all he saw was his blood soaking the ground. It was the last thing he saw before his eyes closed, for the last time.

“God he was mad.” Rue commented, wiping the blood off his knife.

“Or desperate,” added Adev.

“He used to be brilliant, but he was wrong this time.” Rue stated, “This world is past redemption.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I figured out the layout glitch, my home computer screen is MUCH larger than an older computer screen, so I changed it to fit my screen. Logging on at school it was pretty obvious. I changed it back to regular, so it should be ok now.

And there will be an epilogue, it's half written at the moment. And I have two other companion stories that are in the same setting, so if I ever get around to finished those, there will sequels/prequels.