Sequel: Seasons Change
Status: complete.

There's No Penguins In Alaska

VI

(Winter.)

"Mmm…so tired.” I rolled over and bumped into something big and soft.

I slowly opened my eyes to cease being blinded by the morning sun.

“Morning baby.” My eyes popped open to the size of baseballs.

“What the fuck?!” I yelled springing up off the bed. Well I tried to anyway. I was held in place by Alex’s arms which apparently hadn’t left my body all night.

“I thought I said no cuddling.” I hissed. “Let me go you ass.” he was really strong.

“Nope not until I get a good mourning kiss.” he closed his eyes and puckered his lips.

“Guess we’re gonna be here for a while then. Make yourself comfy.” I said settling into his chest. I leaned all my weight onto him and did everything imaginable to make him uncomfortable.

Nothing worked.

“As long as I’m holding onto you I’m very comfortable.” damn.

“You know why do you even hit on me? All your trying to do is get in my pants and then you’ll dump me just like all your other boy toys. So no. just stay away from me.” by this time tears had started to well up in the corners of my eyes. His arms loosened and I pushed away from him as fast as I could, running into my bathroom.

I could hear him pounding on the locked door and calling my name but I never answered. A shower was the best bet so I striped and hopped in the scolding hot water. I just stood there, tears leaking from my eyes, for about a half an hour. Staring into space and trying not to remember the past.

There was more knocking at the door.

“Hey sweetie. It’s Summer. Can you come out. I’m worried about you. Alex said you just ran off. What’s wrong?” summer spoke quietly.

“Nothing. I just don’t wanna talk about it. I’m fine.”

“You don’t sound it. Please just come out. Alex isn’t even here. He went home.”

I turned off the shower and placed a towel around my waist before unlocking the door, coming face to face with Summer.

She wrapped arms around my thin frame and hugged me tight.

“Shh…sweetie it’s ok.”

We moved to sit on the edge of the bed as I buried my face into her shoulder and cried tears I thought were long gone by now.

“what’s got you so upset honey?” she asked.

“just something that happened with Alex and it made me remember.”

“oh babe. Come on you got to forget that stuff. Live life. It’s ok to hit some bumps along the way, but you have to pick yourself up and keep going.” she has a point but I’m just too stubborn.

“Yea ok.” I mumbled.

“Hey get your swim trunks on. We’re going out on the jet skis. Me and Abby. You and Alex.” she said jumping up and moving to my closet. Probably to get me swim trunks.

“Why do you always pair me with Alex?”

“so I can be with Abby.” she stated as she tossed me a pair of black, red, and grey plaid trunks.

“Hmm…and is it because you like Abby? Do you have a little crush?”

“Maybe. Maybe not. Why?”

Now changed into my trunks and I slipped on a black wife beater.

“Just asking I think you’d make a cute couple.” I wink and started on my way to the dock.

Of course once we got to the dock Summer and Abby left Alex and I by ourselves. Unfortunately.

“Hey man. Whatever I did to upset you. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“Yea whatever. Just don’t touch me.” I whispered harshly. I could see a hint of sadness in his eyes, but I don’t see why.

I mean come on. Why would he want me? I’m ugly, mean, basically mute when I’m not being an ass. All he wants is sex. Can’t he get that from someone else?

“Ok. Well let’s get on this ski and have some fun.” I suggested as he hopped on. On god I have to be in the back? No I change my mind. I can’t.

“Umm…no. I’m just gonna sit here. Enjoy the shore. You go.” I plopped down on the edge of the dock dangling my bare feet in the water.

“Hey how about this. We go out on one of the paddle boats and talk.”

He untied the little paddle boat from the dock and jumped in. “Come on. Please?” he pouted his bottom lip.

“Fine.” I got into the other side and we were off.

After about 15 minutes of me saying nothing Alex broke the silence.

“So tell me about yourself.” Alex suggested.

“Like what? Do you want my life story or something?” I asked paddling a little faster hoping that we’d get where we’re going and go home.

“Yes I do. I’ll give you mine in return.” he just wouldn’t take his eyes off of me.

“No. it’s personal.” I growled. “Besides why the fuck do you think I want your life story?”

That’s when I started to think that maybe I should be nicer.

“I don’t know. I shouldn’t have said anything. No one else cares. Why should you?” he mumbled under his breath. I’m lucky I even heard him. He look about ready to cry.

“No no. I’m sorry. Go ahead talk away.” he smiled slightly.

“Ok. I’m 19. My full name is Alexander Scott Churchill. I’m two years older than Abby. I was born in Pennsylvania. And lived there until I was three. That’s when we moved into the mega mansion over there. Yuck. I don’t know my biological father. But I love Abby’s dad as if her were my own. I hate my mother. I love all kinds of music but mostly screamo. I lost my virginity at age 13. The last six years have been all about sex for me. I don’t know why. I’m just like that. I don’t believe in love but maybe someone someday can change that. Hmm…I smoke a lot. And I used to do drugs but that didn’t last very long. I don’t know what else. Your turn?” he smiled in my direction.

Shit. May as well tell him. FUCK! First Grams, then Abby, now Alex? What are these people doing to me? Why am I trusting them?

“Fine. But if this gets out, you’re dead. So you want the whole story or the edited version?”

“Deal. The whole story.”

We shook hands on it.

“Uh…I’m 16. My full name is Winter Mitchell Birch. I’m 3 minutes older than Summer. I was born in Idaho.” we both laughed. “My parents die in a car crash when I was 2. After that Summer and I were sent to live with my grandparents in Cali. Mr. and Mrs. Manning didn’t even know we were alive until about a month ago. I called Grams one day because life got so bad I needed to get out.” I paused for a moment trying to hold back more tears.

“Why was life so bad? If you don’t mind my asking.” we had come to a dead stop cause neither of us were paddling.

“Umm…my ‘grandpa’ and I used to get in fights all the time. They usually ended with me having a bloody lips or a broken nose. He didn’t like me being gay. But that I could handle. The other thing was that I had this amazing boyfriend, Zeek, and we had some much fun together. We were together for 4 months. It was great. He was my escape from home life. Until he got what he wanted. I had sex with him and then I woke up the next morning to a note next to my pillow.”

“what did it say?” Alex asked, curiosity oozing out of every word spoken.

“it said ‘Winter sorry but we’re done. I’ve realized that I don’t like men. Hate to hurt your feelings…well not really. No Love, Zeek.’ he broke my heart. Here it was all a joke. He never even wanted to be with me. His friends dared him to or whatever.”

Alex had placed his on my and stroked it with his thumb.

“I’m so sorry Winter. You don’t deserve that.”

“No it gets worse. During our relationship I told him all of my secrets. About my grandpa and stuff. He told everyone. The whole school knew it all by the end of the week. He told them I was so terrible in bed that I turned him straight, even though he never was gay. That‘s when my ‘guiltiest pleasure’ comes in. I started doing a little heroin. At the time I thought it was the best thing ever. Luckily I didn’t get to far into it by the time Summer got me to quit. ”

By the time I was done I was completely in tears. Alex wrapped his arms around my shoulders and pulled me into him.

“Shh…sweetie it’s ok. I won’t let anyone hurt you ever again.” he cooed as he rocked us back and forth. His hands rubbed my sides and as I stopped crying I giggled a little.

“What are you laughing at?” he asked looking down at me.

“Nothing just a ticklish spot.” I blushed.

“Oh really. You mean right…here?”

He grabbed my sides and started tickling me harder.

“AHH!!! Stop It!!!” I laughed so hard my eyes watered.

He straddled my waist and gripped my waist fiercely.

“What…Are you..trying…to do…make me ..piss…myself?” I gasped between breaths.

The boat was rocking dangerously. “Alex stop you’re gonna flipp…AH!” I screamed.

Splash!

The boat tipped over and threw Alex and I into the freezing water below.

Did I mention that I can’t swim. I flailed my limbs and grasped for air but all I got was water. I started to choke and I couldn’t breath. Before I knew it my vision for blurry. I could faintly hear someone calling my name but I’m not sure who or what.

Then I just blacked out.