Sequel: Seasons Change
Status: complete.

There's No Penguins In Alaska

VII

(Winter.)

“Winter? Winter sweetie please wake up!” I could hear a voice half yell half sob.

I tried to open my eyes but they seemed like 10 pound weights on my eyes.

“Mmm…” I mumbled to let the person know I was alive.

Something grasped me tight around the waist.

“Oh my God Winter. I thought you were dead!! Don’t ever scare me like that again.” now I could tell it was Alex.

“Alex? What happened? Where are we?” I asked my eyes slowly adjusting to the area.

“Oh sweetie. The boat tipped and then kinda sunk. I’m sorry. We should have just stayed on the dock like you wanted. I’m so sorry. Now we’ll probably die of starvation or something. Omg what if no one finds us? SHIT!”

“Wow wow. Where are we? Jeez answer me the first time.” I mumbled the last part.

“Umm…some island. I’m not sure. I just got you to the nearest dry land I could find. You needed CPR. You choked on a lot of water there kid.”’

“Ok. So we’re stuck on an island with no food, water, or a way back home?” I asked sitting up to glare at Alex.

“Yup. Pretty much. Now it’s a waiting game. We just have to wait until grams sees that we’re missing and then they’ll find us. Easy.”

“This is all your fault. You just had to fool around didn’t you?” by this time I was standing up, stomping my foot and clenching my fists.

“Well if you didn’t go all cry baby on me I wouldn’t have even touched you in the first place! You know what I bet you are bad in bed! Go cry now. I’m going to search the island” he turned and stormed off.

“Yea well if someone comes I’ll make sure to tell them you died!” I yelled after him.

‘I knew I shouldn’t have trusted him! SHIT! Now what are we gonna do?’

I broke down. I fell to the ground wrapping my arms around my legs which were tucked under my chin. I sat there and cried until dark. That’s when things got scary.

I could here the howling of a savage animal from a distance.

“Please God! Don’t let me be eaten!!” I prayed.

“oh don’t be such a baby. You aren’t going to be eaten.” I jumped at the sound of Alex’s voice.

“What the fuck. You scared me.” I turned to look at him. He had a bunch of sticks in his hands. “what are you doing with those?”

“making a fire.” he began to form a tee-pee with the branches.

“Oh ok. Hey look I’m sorry about earlier. But I think it’s safe to say that we can’t really be friends. We should just stay away from each other after this.” my eyes were trained on my feet. I couldn’t look him in the eyes, or even anywhere on his body.

“umm…if that’s the way you want it. Ok then. But for now we stick together.” he had started the fire and sat himself about and inch from me.

“Ok. Well where do we sleep?” I asked looking around at my surroundings.

“Umm…the ground?”

“Oh yeah!” ewwie!! I just decided to lay back and try to relax.

Next thing I know Alex is wrapping his arms around me.

“I thought I told you not to touch me. The last time you disobeyed that rule we got stuck here. So get of!!” I yelled pushing his arms off of me.

“Please just tonight. I need someone to hold.” he looked to sad to deny.

“Fine but after tonight no more. I swear you‘re bipolar.”

“Promise!” I settled myself into his chest and closed my eyes.

“Hey Alex. Who was that Shane kid?” I asked.

“Oh Shawn. umm…he’s just an ex. No biggie.” he visibly tensed when Shawn was mentioned.

“You know you can tell me right? I won’t say anything.”

“well he was my first boyfriend. I was 14 he was 16. I thought it was so cool to have a boyfriend that could drive. But we hooked up a few times, then he started getting mean. he told me that I was scum and no one would ever love me. He started cheating on me. He said I was lucky to have him at all. I guess I started to doubt him so he broke up with me. He told me I‘d never get anyone ever again.” he was on the verge of tears.

“Hey don’t believe him. Anyone would want to be with you.” I reassured him. “I mean look at all the guys you hook up with.”

“Yea just not the person I want.” he mumbled. “And besides they only want me for sex. That’s all I’m good for.”

I smacked him on the chest hard. “Hey! Don’t talk like that! You’ll find someone. Trust me” only I didn’t say I wished it was me.

He just nodded and closed his eyes. I could hear his breath even out indicating sleep.

“Good night Alex.” I whispered as I kiss his cheek and fell into a peaceful dreamland.