Alone

Period 2: Physics

"Honestly, we have a seating chart?!" I exclaimed, looking up at the board where a projector displayed out seating arrangements. I scanned around, looking for my name. I found it, but instantly regretted it.

"Oh. Hello." came the voice-- well, not quite voice. The sound that came out resembles more of nails against a chalk board-- of Catherine. See, Catherine and I had had a mutual hatred of one another since kindergarten. Why? Quick flashback:

"You're rainbow is out of order." Catherine said from next to me, her voice like squeeky nails back in the day.

"What are you talking about, it's beautiful!" I exclaimed.

"Don't you know anything about Roy G. Biv?" she snobbishly replied.

"Uh, no. What, is he one of your mom's friends?"

"No, stupid. It means your rainbow starts with Red, not purple." She folded her arms across her chest.

"That doesn't even make sense. Don't call me stupid; I at least know people aren't colors." I stuck my tongue out. Then the cutest school fight in history went down and I beat the tar out of a five year old Catherine. We haven't made amends yet.

"So, how was your summer?" I pretended to care.

"As if you care." She replied, looking straight at the board.

"Wow, you must've taken 'Mind-Reading 101' at the JC or something!" I exclaimed sarcastically.

She scowled. "Listen, I'd prefer if we didn't have to talk. Make this easy, alright?"

"Oh, that can be arranged." I assured her. Just then, Jenny, who I'd known since the third grade walked in. I found her on the seating chart at the front of the class.Right next to Katie!

"Hey Jenny! I have a proposition for you!" I rushed up to her.

"Oh, hi Danni! What's up?" she asked. Sweet little Jenny, you had to love her.

"How would you feel about changing your name to Daniella every day around this time?" My eyes were pleading as I looked into hers.

"Uh, why?" she asked, a very quizical face.

"Well, you know how things are between me and Catherine, right? Guess this teacher is still going by the old alphabetical order seating chart. Please, I need to have a good record this year." I said, prepared to get down and beg her. God, I hate Catherine.

"Uh, sure. Can't be any harm in that. Just for role call, right?"

"Yeah. Like, write your own name on tests, of course." I assured her. And with that, the deal was made.

I took my new seat next to Katie. "So how's your first day going?" She asked.

"As of now, quite lucky. But I say that having only gone to one class. How about yours?"

"God, I got stuck with PE again! Can you believe that? Just 'cause I didn't dress out enough last semester!"

"What a load of bull. Talk to your-"

"Good morning, students. My name is Mr. Smith. Welcome to the hardest class at East View High." interrupted a tall black man. And suddenly, my morning started to seem as I had predicted.