He Caught My Eye

Deep Black Eyes

“Please remember to read page 17 to 20 of your textbook,” Mr. Brown reminded the class as the students filed out rowdily. “Try not to be late for tomorrow’s class.”

Naomi Leroy kept her textbook in her backpack hurriedly, thankful that the third Chemistry class of the year was finally over. She never enjoyed the subject very much, and disliked it more than Math. Smoothing her dress as she stood up, she paced out the doorway and stopped upon meeting Laura’s gaze. The blonde girl towered over her in four-inch heels.

“Get out of the way, Leroy,” she hissed, venom dripping with every word. “It’s a pain to see you this early in the morning.”

Laura Miller was arguably the most popular girl in junior year at Victoria High School, but she was also notably mean and arrogant. Her looks had earned her the overwhelming popularity. Naomi was not surprised at that—Laura was indeed beautiful. She had a head of long, silky platinum-blonde hair that cascaded down her shoulders gracefully. Her eyes were a luminous blue, the kind that made people linger their gazes on. Light freckles dotted over her sharp nose and high cheekbones, softening the harsh features. Her statuesque beauty was undeniable.

Naomi met her eyes coolly. She knew Laura did not like her and was used to her snide remarks. Breaking eye contact, she stepped away quietly and threaded down the hallway.

“Wise choice, Leroy,” Laura hollered as the distance between them grew. “I’m in a particularly good mood today. You wouldn’t want to ruin it.”

Naomi rolled her eyes. Dropping her backpack gently beside her locker, she turned the combination lock. She was about to reach in to take her books when someone slammed the locker door shut. To her amazement, she had pulled back her hands in time. She looked at her best friend with purposely narrowed eyes.

Ellyn Caruthers bounced around her ecstatically, words tumbling out of her mouth randomly. Naomi sighed, observing her, and wondered what it was this time that had got her all worked up. She laid a hand on her best friend’s shoulder and shook her head melodramatically.

Ellyn cringed at her and shrugged. “I’m doing it again, aren’t I?”

“I’m glad you know,” Naomi nodded. “You could have maimed my hand.”

“I’m sorry!” Ellyn squealed and slapped a hand over her forehead. “I know I tend to overreact but I have a good reason this time.”

Naomi opened her locker door again to swap her books. Carrying her backpack, they walked down the hallway to the Calculus classroom. The classroom door was opened, indicating that it was still early and the teacher had not yet arrived. They stood beside the doorway.

“What is it?” Naomi asked, only half-interested. The last time she saw Ellyn like this, Starbucks had just opened a new outlet opposite the school campus.

“I heard that we have a new transfer student in our year!” she beamed, her eyes bright with excitement. “Word has been going around that he is super hot.”

“What has that got to do with us? Laura would throw herself all over him in no time.”

Just as she had said that, Laura strode past them into the classroom, giving Ellyn the onceover. She was followed by Nicholas Bae, an equally perfect-looking junior. He was tall and muscular, with angular features and olive skin. His curly brown hair was tucked under a red beanie. He met Naomi’s brown eyes with his brilliant green ones. Those were a pair of eyes she had once fell for. Nicholas was Laura’s boyfriend, but he was also Naomi’s ex-boyfriend. She suspected it was one of the reasons why the other girl disliked her.

“I really hate that girl,” Ellyn groaned when Laura was out of earshot. “Anyway, you need to pick up your game! How long has it been since you’ve last dated? At this rate, you’re transforming into a nun.”

“Oh, don’t exaggerate!” Naomi dismissed her with a wave of her hand. “It’s only been a few months and I—”

“Hey, Naomi,” Chase Edwards flashed a wide smile when he saw her. “Are we still up for lunch together?”

She nodded at him and returned the smile, her face flushing pink. He waved at Ellyn as he continued down the hallway.

“Chase Edwards…” she droned on, her eyes following Chase’s back view. “Everybody knows he likes you. He’s so handsome. I know you feel something for him!”

“Chase is a very good friend,” Naomi felt a pang of sudden guilt and slapped Ellyn’s arm lightly. “I just don’t want to rush into another relationship so quickly.”

She took out a pocket mirror and examined her face. “Well, better for me then!”

“What do you mean?”

“We have Calculus with the new boy.”

Naomi followed Ellyn into class, her eyes widening as she laid them on the new student. He was well-built but slender, clad in a navy blue baseball cap, black fitting T-shirt, grey jeans and black sneakers. His eyes were very dark under the cap; she could not tell what color they were. He had a certain presence in the room that made her nervous. She marveled at his unexpected attractiveness.

She would have wanted his attention badly, just like the other girls in the class who were staring at him with admiration, but the sight of Laura sitting on the desk and bending down toward him to talk, revealing her cleavage, immediately disgusted her. Nicholas simply stood beside the desk, looking almost bored.

When Laura finally hopped down the table and walked away, Naomi realized with annoyance that the new boy had conveniently planted himself at her table. Anger rose within her at the thought of Laura fraternizing with him at her seat.

“Why are you seated here?” she blurted out in frustration as she reached the table. “This is my place.”

He took off his cap, revealing his tousled jet black hair, and brought both legs up to the desk defiantly. She was slightly surprised when she saw that his eyes were not just dark—they were the color of night. He blinked at her, fluttering his long lashes, his eyes absorbing all the light but reflecting none.

“Mine.” A corner of his lips curved upward, turning his smile into a smirk: a challenge.

Naomi rolled her eyes and raised her voice. “Get your legs off my desk.”

He stood up, leaning down to her, taunting her with his deep black eyes. She stumbled backward when he came too close for comfort; he was a head taller than her. His gaze was unrelenting and intimidating.

“I said that it’s mine now.”

“You—” She was about to fire a wide range of nasty words at him when she felt a hand tugging at her elbow.

Ellyn whispered into her ear. “You really should stop it.”

The boy looked quite amused as he sat back down. “Yeah, Naomi, stop it.”

“How did you know—”

Her best friend grabbed her arm anxiously, her voice rising several octaves as she said, “He’s right. The new seating plan is on the teacher’s table.”

A lump rose in Naomi’s throat as she walked swiftly to check the seating plan. Panic engulfed her when she realized that Ellyn was right: the name at the seat on the paper stated Jace Ashford, not Naomi Leroy.

She also realized in muted horror that she was now seated beside him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Surprise! I have made the decision to rewrite He Caught My Eye and hopefully give it a proper ending this time.

For readers that are not familiar with this story, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. Please remember to comment/subscribe/recommend. You guys give me the motivation to write. ☺

Do check out another ongoing story of mine, Beginning of Something. Thank you!