Sequel: Cure

Sickness

Indigo

I start college in one week. For once in my life, I am happy to be who I am right now. The fact that I have AIDS means almost nothing to me now.

Jack and I are going to a party tonight. It’s to celebrate with all our friends from high school one last time before we part for the longest time imaginable.

I am currently getting ready. Jack is sitting on my bed, reading one of my books. He is immersed in it while I sift through my closet, trying to find an outfit to wear. I don’t usually worry this much, but I want to look good enough. Who knows when I’ll ever have the chance again?

I pass something that catches my eye, and I pause to look at it. It is a simple sundress completely covered in indigo colored flowers. The neckline is deep, but not revealing. It’s a halter, and it should come down right to my knees. I bite my bottom lip with a small smile, and run into the bathroom to change.

“Did you find something?” Jack says not looking up from his book.

“Yes. Could you do me a favor, and throw that pair of black flip-flops into the bathroom? I’m in the process of taking off my shirt,” I reply back.

I hear him scuffle off my bed, and walk over to the door. The handle on the door turns, and Jack walks in, with my flip-flops dangling from his hand. He walks over to me, and looks me up and down. I have a black bra on, and a pair of jeans. Jack then drops my shoes and puts his hands on my waist and runs them up and down my sides. I shiver and instantly crawl into his big arms for a hug. His body is warm and welcoming.

“What are you wearing?” he asks while kissing my neck.

I point to the dress that hangs from the towel rack. Jack lets go of me and gets the dress. He brings it over to me, and tells me to hold it. He then proceeds to take off my jeans and throw them on the floor. He helps me get the dress on, and brings me over to the mirror. He wraps his arms around me from behind.

“Wow. This looks amazing on you. Where’d you get it?”

“Mom gave it to me for graduation.”

“Oh. Here, I’ll go and let you do your hair and make up.”

Jack knows that graduation is a touchy spot with me. I had gotten awards for musicianship, and finally received my diploma. It was a fantastic night.
Until I noticed that my mom was missing from the audience.

After the ceremony was over, I went over to one of my mother’s good friends and asked if she knew where she went.

“She got up awhile ago. She said she was feeling week. Last I heard, she was admitted to the emergency room. She’s been there for about an hour.”

I immediately ran to my car, calling Jack on my way to tell him that I had an emergency, and had to be somewhere. He let me go. I drove over to the hospital and went up to the reception desk.

“What room is Ms. Kolobi in?” I asked panting, still in my cap and gown.

“What are your relations to her?”

“I’m her daughter.”

A few minutes later, I found myself walking into a patient room, and seeing my mom on a bed, with an IV in her arm, and a tube going through her nose that helped her breathing.

“I’m so sorry, sweetie. I guess the medicine’s just not doing its job right now.”

“That’s okay, Mom. Really.” I was starting to cry. What if this was one of the last moments I saw her?

“Rose, on the chair is a box. Your graduation present is in it.”

I picked up the package and opened it. I remember unfolding some tissue paper and pulling the indigo sundress out. I looked at my weak mother, and back at the dress.

I couldn’t help myself. I dropped the dress, and ran over to the bed. I hugged my mother, and she hugged me back.

I was crying the entire time.