Sequel: Cure

Sickness

Violet

Jack and I walked from my house to the party. We held hands the entire way.

When we got to the party, I immediately felt like I was walking on clouds. Everyone Jack and I new was there, and they all looked amazing, even the guys.

There was a faint glow of violet throughout the house where the party is being held. I am on top of the world right now.

“You look gorgeous, sweetheart,” Jack whispers to me as we walk in.

I feel gorgeous, for once in my life. My black hair cascades down my back and reaches past my elbows in thick waves. My body is sleek in the indigo dress, and a bright silver necklace sparkles on my collarbone. I have glitter on my eyes.

The violet light only adds more to me. It makes me happy.

And it makes me even happier for different reasons.

I used to have a friend named Violet. I know that she’s here tonight because somebody told me that she had been invited. She traveled 3000 miles to be here tonight.

And I don’t know where she is.

We used to be best friends. She knew that I had AIDS and supported me when I was really sick. The summer before middle school, she moved. She moved 3000 miles away. I never saw her again.

Until now.

I see her from across the room. She has not changed much in looks. Yes, she has aged since she was twelve, but she is the same Violet I used to know. She looks my way, and we make eye contact.

She doesn’t say anything. She doesn’t recognize me.

“Violet?”

She looks up, and I beckon her towards me. She walks over.

“It’s me. Rose.”

She gasps, and throws her arms around my neck.

“I haven’t seen you in forever! You look so different!”

From there, the conversation went on. We talked about everything.
But after a while, it dawned on me that I would have to say goodbye again. I would have to say goodbye to everyone. I didn’t know if I would ever see them again.

And all at once, it came crashing down on me, like a wave during high tide. I was growing up, and I would have to live on my own. I would have to leave old friends behind to live the life I wanted to. I would have to make sacrifices for myself and for others.
But mostly for others.

I didn’t care that I had AIDS anymore. I didn’t care that I could get very sick and die at any given time. I didn’t care. All I cared about was getting to say goodbye to everyone tonight before I went to off to Dartmouth.

And that’s exactly what I did.