Execution

012

January 5, 2010
Execution Chamber
San Quentin State Prison


I could be visited by anybody who wished to see me. And there was a lot of people -- friends from school, supporters, people who had followed my story and still thought I was innocent. I turned down everybody except for Trenton, who didn't come. Most of the people would be at the execution anyways.

The led me to a small room and told me I could eat my last meal there. They asked me the night before what I would like to eat, and I denied that as well. Food was unimportant to me now.

They gave me a black dress, and allowed me to shower before taking me to the Execution Chamber. I put on the dress, but didn't bother to shower. The last thing I wanted was to show any kind of positive impression on those who came to see me.

Mr. Rennel's was there, along with grandma. The witnesses had to come. Trenton was excused because of his age, and I'm glad he didn't have to come. I wouldn't be able to rest in peace if he was the last face I had to see.

I was brought into the room on a gourney at 4:53, and they began to put tubes into both of my arms. The curtain opened revealing many expressionless faces on the other side. A man I had not seen before came in and said in a monotone voice, "You are allowed to give one statement, written or verbal that will later be released to the media."

I looked into his eyes as he waited for my answer. It was now 4:58. "Just tell them...I'm sorry."

He nodded and left the room, and a priest took my side. I was strabbed down by my wrists and ankles, and I knew as an overwhelming feelings of sleepiness took over, that this was it.

The last thing I saw was Trenton in the corner of the window, his hand and forehead pushed desperatly against the glass.