Execution

007

May 5;CA

For the past week the fear and depression I've gained from the past month has turned my stomach inside out, causing me to throw up whatever I could get my hands on. I couldn't stop shaking, and sleep wasn't part of me anymore. A sickness began to gather inside of me from a combination of rain, showerless days, sleepness nights, and my weakened immune system from lack of food.

I trudged along the streets, ignoring whatever stares somebody gave me. I know I didn't look sixteen right now. The dirt hid most of my young features. I felt everything but young.

I came across a quaint shop that surfaced memories of life before the divorce, when we were all a family and visits to grandma's was a normal thing. I looked at the iron tables out front and remembered when we went here just a few years back, just a couple of months before my Dad left for good. I was thirteen, and Trenton was four.

"Ice cream!" Trenton kept yelling, bouncing up and down in his seat. "Ice cream! Ice cream!" I laughed and pushed his hand up, causing the top of the cone to hit his nose. He giggled and tried to lick it off with his tongue. When he gave up grandma took a napkin and wiped it off for him.

I sat on the curb and looked at the neon "Open" sign in the window, zoning out.

Bells that rang when the door opened snapped me out of my trance, and my heart jumped in my chest. There was Trenton now! He was holding a huge ice cream cone, licking it with a smile on his face. A few moments later, the force of his licking caused it to topple over, and he stared at it frowning, his eyes tearing up.

"Don't cry, Trenton, I'll just go buy you a new one." Grandma said as she made her way back through the parlor door. Trenton sighed and dropped the rest of his cone, then impatiently swayed back and forth on his heels. I ran to him and he screamed, "Sissy!"

I lifted him up and spun him around in my hug.

"Where've you been? You don't smell so nice." He scrunched his face up.

"I've just been camping." He nodded and looked over to the door. "Grandma will be out soon, and she doesn't really want you around."

I looked through the glass window. Grandma was facing the counter, arguing with the employee, probably about the length of the ice cream and how she should get another for free.

"Then how 'bout you come with me?"

He nodded and hugged me once more, his little arms barely reaching around my waist. I took his hand, unable to carry him, and we ran off together in the direction of the woods.