Aurora

diamond tears.

That night, I dined with the wolves. I was scrubbed until I was sore and dressed in clothes given to me by the wolves and two younger, beautiful girls had helped me put on the dress. Tucked in the skirts I felt strange and moving was difficult. Still, I said nothing, grateful just to be alive. The wolves had saved me - of course, they'd also been the one to attack me. I did not ask Adrian about Lourdes, I was too afraid of the answer I'd get, instead, I questioned the two girls who helped me dress. They stared at me and then gave quick, darting glances to each other. I knew well enough that they did not trust me; I did not expect them too. One, the taller one with lighter hair, swallowed. "She is Adrian's intended. She is the future Queen of Wolves." A bark of laughter came from me, but I was not happy. The fact of the matter did not surprise me. I should have assumed. Jealousy, of course, was the poison that fed on all good men's hearts.

The girls treated me like a china figurine as they dress and took me to the dining hall where the other wolves were - I assumed this was a monstrous palace, for all the wolves lived here - and I knew they handled me so carefully because to them, I was fragile. I'd heard of how the wolves posessed the strength of twenty men. I did not doubt that this was true. Besides, I was foreign and for the longest time, I was thought to be their enemy. I wondered for a moment if Adrian had explained that I was not the ones who had attacked them, that it was not my fault. In the back of my head, I knew it did not matter. If they'd hated me before, they'd hate me now, no matter what Adrian said.

I had no idea what I was expecting the dining hall to look like, but what it was was definitely not it. The room was enormous with a high, cathedral ceiling. Crystal chandeliers hung and shone like diamond tears against gold leaf. Where was this castle so large that it could have a dining hall of this size? Not even Lunarenstein's greatest hall was bigger. Long tables sat in the middle and hundreds of dark skinned, dark haired people sat on benches. At the head of the room, one long table sat perpendicular to the rest. I recognized Adrian sitting almost center. Lourdes was sitting at his right. I could only see an outline of her from here and wondered what her face held. Contempt? Jealousy? Rage? For a brief instant my shoulder ached and I wondered if she might attack me.

When the people in the dining hall noticed me, all fell silent. The two girls walked me through the middle of the hall and my cheeks flushed. Each stared. In my heart I knew they were wondering why I, the leader of the huntresses, was allowed to this sacred place. I could feel them plotting my death. I willed myself not to look into their eyes, but I could not escape Adrian's. His was an amused expression and I cast him a curious eye. Looking to his left, I saw a large man with a full beard and wide shoulders. On his head sat a crown and on his face was a look of careful consideration. He stood as the girls walked me to him. "We welcome Aurora of the Castle to our dinner tonight. Come, let us drink to her." They all raised their pewter glasses to me and repeated, Aurora of the Castle and drank. I stood, feeling hot and ashamed. My people had killed these men and women. They could not drink to me. I was sat at his left and as soon as I was comfortable, he turned to me. "I am Randulf, King of Wolves, father of Adrian, Prince of Wolves."

I swallowed. "Pleased to make your acquaintance." I bobbed my head which I hoped would suffice for a curtsy. "If I may ask...why do you drink to my health when you know what I am?"

"What you are?" The King's eyebrow raised. "And what are you, other than a small star girl with skin that does match her eyes?" I colored at my dark skin. I was not as tan as the wolves, that was true, still, he'd made me remember just how different I was. How I did not belong here. How I should leave at once - but couldn't.

"A huntress, Your Majesty. The very huntress assigned to kill your wolves. My companions and friends have killed a few in our time." I couldn't keep the shame and the embarrassment out of my voice. Next to this great man who had toasted to me, I was absolutely nothing.

"You have killed nothing, Aurora." His words were grave; his eyes, serious. "And why is that?"

I hesitated. "Because..." I wasn't sure if I should say this, maybe I was being entirely out of line. "Because I have always been told that the wolves are evil, that they are in line with the Liche Queen, that you are allianced with her. I have been told that because of you, the moon does not sit in the sky and killing you and your queen is the only way to freen the Moon. However, all my life, I've always felt there was something benign about the wolves. Something kind. I know now that I was right." I flushed.

King Randulf shrugged and drank more out of his goblet. "We are not all kind - one of our own attacked you. She was, of course, reprimanded but because you still live there is not much else we can do." He sighed. "Either way, you are right about some things. All the creatures are the forest, whether they dwell here or not, are connected in some way. We have always had a connection with Death's Lady because she has always prolonged our lives and made us stronger and faster than both wolves and men. In the other way, we have always had a kinship with the Queen of the Moon because wolves had always had friends in the moon and because the moon has always guided us at night."

"You're not making this easy. Who do I believe?"

The King laughed. "There are many versions to a story, Aurora, and there are many truths. You may believe different parts of different stories. There is no one answer for any question. You may ask 'Can I trust the wolves?' and the answer is always vague because there are wolves you can trust and wolves you cannot. You may ask, 'Are the wolves evil?' and that too, is hard to answer, for we have done wicked things and we have also done good things. I cannot tell you whom to believe because, well, you must believe everything and nothing you hear at the same time." At his words, I smiled. His answer, however difficult, made sense. I trusted Adrian - by all the gods I trusted him - and yet I would not dare be in the room with Lourdes alone. "Let us not talk of this anymore. Eat!" King Randulf's command made my mouth silent, but not my thoughts. I looked out beyond the head table to the long tables of men, women and children and realized it was like what Randulf had said. I felt kinship with the girls at Lunarenstein but I also felt kinship with the wolves. I took a painful swallow. This would never work. No matter if the wolves liked me, I still wouldn't stand by and watch as they hunted my friends - even if I was never to call them sisters again. On the other hand, I couldn't stand by and watch the girls kill my wolves.

Why were these things so difficult to figure out? I did not know. "Your majesty, I'm not sure if Adrian has mentioned it to you, but I am going in search of the Moon Queen's tower. I am going to try and save her." King Randulf looked at me with interest. I took a deep breath. "I have asked Prince Adrian to be my guide."

For the first time since I'd seen him this morning, when he pledged his service to me, Adrian leaned forward and looked at me. His eyes upon my face made my shoulders quiver and I moved my head away, fighting the blush that came to my cheeks and thinking of his words the first day we'd met. Do not come looking for me, it will only end in tragedy. Had he known then what I might do if I saw him again? What strange emotions might flutter through me if I were to meet him sometime?

"You did not tell me this, my son." The King's voice was not annoyed, it simply was.

Adrian looked out to the rest of the people before turning back to his father. "I wanted to wait until Aurora had mentioned it to you. I told her I would help her, and I wish to pledge my alleigance to her formally. I was hoping we could perform the ceremony tomorrow morning and by the afternoon we could set off."

King Randulf sat back and interlocked his hands on his stomach. "Having my only son guide Aurora on a journey is not what I would ask for at this moment. However, I feel in my heart that it is what must happen. Still, I will consult with the stars. If they have foretold it, you will go and you will perform the ceremony." Adrian opened his mouth, his eyes were surprised. "Do not look so shocked, Adrian. You have expressed your interest a thousand times before in going across the forest in search of the Moon Queen. The reason I said no was because the stars told me you were not supposed to go yet. Now, with Aurora, may be your time." At this, Adrian caught my eyes. "But enough talk! Come, let us finish eating. Then, we shall revel and dance until the night has given way to a new morning."

I sat back for the rest of the night while the others pushed the tables away and made room for dancing. They were graceful in their movements and joyful in their expressions and I was stunned as I watched them move. King Randulf left the table eventually and went to pursue a young woman with flushed cheeks for a dance. Feeling awkward, my eyes slid to Adrian, who was watching me. Next to him, Lourdes sat, stock still. I swallowed. Adrian lifted his head and shook it every so slightly to the left, as if to say, Come with me. We both stood and slid away from the head table. His legs were long and he walked swiftly. I had to run to catch up, but I did as soon as we were alone in a quiet, yet bright hall. My head turned with questions and I looked at my dark eyed Prince. "What does your father mean, 'consult with the stars'? He cannot really mean to speak to them, can he?" I questioned as we walked. We were heading towards a pair of double doors that I assumed led out into the night.

"You have never heard the whisper of the stars?" asked Adrian, turning a surprised eye on me. I shook my head, flushing. His voice implied that it was strange I'd never spoken to stars, while in my head, I found it peculier that they had. "I suppose I cannot be shocked, you are not of the forest. Not really, anyway." He opened the doors and we stepped outside. I turned around to see what the castle of the wolves looked like, but saw only darkness. I would have to wait until morning to find out where, exactly, I was. Adrian went to lean on the rail and looked up at the sky. I turned my eyes upwards as well and saw millions of stars between the trees' fingers. A breath expanded my chest; I did not feel afraid. I felt alive again, just as I had when Dog had come to me that first night. "The stars have always told us stories. They are our ancestors, we are a part of them. To this day, they continue to give us wisdom if we seek it. My father has always consulted the stars when he wishes to know something. He tells me that one day, when I am king, that is what I will do, too." Adrian stared for the longest time at the dots of light. "I have asked, but the only thing I can ever hear is their laughter, mocking me. They know I am not fit to be king."

"Why do you say that?" My voice was hushed.

The Prince of Wolves looked down at me and his hair fell into his eye. At that moment I was struck again with how beautiful he was and it was a thought that made my body ache. "The King of the Wolves is also the King of the Forest, did you know that? My father keeps peace between the creatures. He is clever and knows the politics of the land, he has always had the gift of making people agree with him. I am different. Many times I feel so utterly lost; I can feel something beyond me that I can almost grasp, but whenever I think I am close enough to touch it, it disappears. When talking to me I am awkward, I do not like to fight, I do not like killing. The creatures of the forest do not respect me and I am not clever like the king. Most of all is that I long to be free of the constraints of this Kingdom. For so long my life has been ruled by the truth that I will someday be king, will someday take over responsibility of so much...and I do not want it."

I wanted to tell him that this was how I felt, had been how I felt until he had told me I was never to go back again and that Delphine believed me to be dead. I wanted to tell him that he'd freed me and that maybe I could do the same for him by having him be my guide, but the door to the balcony opened and when we both looked back, we saw Lourdes of the Wolves standing in the doorway. The light of the hallway glowed around her in a dark way and made my heart jump into my throat. "Adrian," she said, her voice like honey, "it is getting late. Let us go to bed." She held out her hand. Adrian looked at me and smiled, a smile I returned, before gave his hand to Lourdes.

"Good night," I said to him and Adrian looked back and nodded to me before going inside.

Lourdes did not leave so quickly. She looked at me for the longest time before letting her mouth turn up into a smug grin. "So glad to hear you're okay. I do hope I didn't hurt you too much."

"It would take more than a little nip to hurt me," I answered, my tone cold.

She let one hand rest on her hip. "Well, I guess we'll find out, won't we?" And before I could say anything else, she turned off, letting her chopped hair fly out away from her. The door slammed behind her and I stood watching their retreating forms through the glass. I had no idea what she meant by that phrase; I didn't want to know either. My mind was still turning with my conversation with Adrian as I went inside. I went back the way we'd come, hoping to sneak through the dining hall unnoticed and slip up to my room. When I passed the opening to another hall, however, I paused. Lourdes stood wrapped around Adrian, her arms entwined about his neck. On her face was painted an expression of pure contentment. "Do tell me that you won't be long on your little jaunt with that ugly little human girl, Adrian, for your coronation is soon and after, our wedding. Don't forget, now."

"Trust me, Lourdes, I could not forget about that." Adrian's tone was hard. I watched as Lourdes kissed the edge of his mouth.

"You shall make a great King, my darling. And I will rule by your side as Queen."

Adrian said nothing. Instead, he pulled Lourdes's arms from around his neck and took off down the hall. She stared at the wall in front of her for a few moments before going after him. It struck me then that Lourdes was a little of Rosalyn and Niamh combined. Longing to be wanted and wanting to belong. I felt no sympathy for her, the way I might feel for Rosalyn or even Niamh. Instead, I took a deep breath and hurried down the hallway, shuffled through the dining hall and scampered back up to my room where I quickly changed into the long shirt the nursemaid had given me, making sure I was careful as I pulled shirt over my shoulder. I was sure Lourdes knew how much she'd hurt me - almost killed me - but I could not let that on.

Dreamless, comfortable sleep came easily, but the moment I opened my eyes, I felt that something was different than it had been last night. I was curled on my side, curled onto something warm and furry. I blinked several times before I realized that Dog was in my room and I was sleeping against him. I sat up, a smile spreading on my face. His eyes were open and he was breathing quietly. "Dog!" I exclaimed and then bent over to hug and kiss him. "I'm so sorry I didn't come back, Adrian saved me and he told me I couldn't go back to Lunarenstein because something evil was going on there..." then I remembered how upset with me Dog had been when I'd told him Adrian had saved me from getting lost in the forest. "I'm sorry, Dog, but he isn't bad, I promise."

Dog whined. Just be careful, Aurora. I have heard that you are going to be looking for the Moon Queen.

"Yes. And I wanted to ask if you'd come with me. I could really use you by my side..."

No, I cannot come, I'm sorry Aurora, but I cannot be in two places at once. My heart fell, I knew he was needed wherever he was from; still, the fact that he would not be joining me hurt. I'd imagined that as soon as I set off, Dog would come bounding up and would stay by my side to keep me safe and protected. Dog put his head in my lap and looked up at me with his sorrowful eyes. Do not worry, you will be all right. For all that you should not trust Adrian, nothing shall harm you when you are in his presence. Then, Dog cocked his head. Not that I don't think you cannot handle things on your own, Aurora, he told me, and I could detect a hint of pride in his voice. You are a great huntress.

I sighed. "I'll miss you."

And I, you. I will do my best to come find you when I can. Before you go, though, there is something I must tell you.

"What?"

You must wear your crown of flowers at all time. No one can take it off of you and let no one trick you out of it. Those flowers are your greatest weapon, please remember that. I didn't know why, but something told me not to question him. I picked up the crown and placed it atop my head. For a moment my body felt warm, then the feeling passed. I did not know why these flowers were so important, but something told me that even if I asked Dog about them, he would not tell me. He had never done anything to harm me, and I trusted Dog beyond all shadow of a doubt. Even the Liche Queen had told me to use them...and for some reason, I trusted her. Not all of her, but at least that one small part. I must go. You and Adrian will perform the ceremony and then you shall go off. I wish you luck, Aurora, I wish you all the luck in the world. With that, Dog licked my face and nuzzled my neck. I held onto him until he squirmed out. Then, before my very eyes, Dog walked through my wall to the outside.

For a moment I sat in shock until the same two girls from the previous night came into my room. "The stars have decreed that Adrian is to accompany you on your journey. We will help you prepare, and then you shall go down to the throne room where you and Adrian will pledge your allegiance to one another," said one. I nodded and let them dress me in much different garb than what I wore the previous night. Today they gave me thick leggings and sturdy brown boots, a green tunic made of soft material and a vest made of deerhide and an overcoat made of a light, yet strong fabric. Then they attached a leather sash around me which, to my surprise, carried my quiver and my bow. Finally, another leather satchel was slung over my shoulder. "Undergarments and remedies for you. The nursemaid has also included fresh bandages and some salve for your shoulder, should the wound open again."

I thanked them profusely as they led me down to the throne room. For a moment, my stomach dropped, then I touched my head and realized the crown was still securely atop my hair and relaxed. King Randulf stood before the throne, Adrian in front of him, on the left side of a stone pillar which looked like the same one in Lunarenstein where I kept the copper bowl used in our rituals.

"Welcome, Aurora." The King's voice was grave, quite unlike his tone from last night. "Please, step up to the pillar. This ceremony is one we perform when a group of our kind go out into the forest. They pledge their allegiance to another, swearing to protect them at whatever cost they can, swearing to help them in whatever way they can and swearing to stay by their side. This ceremony binds the participants with the secrets of the forest, it is not something to be taken lightly." I stepped up to the pillar. The top was carved out like a bowl and was filled with a silver looking water.

"I understand," I said, lifting my head to Adrian.

King Randulf nodded. "Then let us begin. Lift your right hands over the pool and clasp each other at the wrist." We did as we were told, looking at each other, nervousness painted on our faces. I realized that Adrian must have never done this before. Randulf took a step towards the bowls. "Put your hands into the pool," he commanded and once again, we did so. The water was luke warm and felt pleasently gel-like against my skin. "Now take your hands out and mark each other's forehead with the water." It struck me that this ceremony was much like the one I'd performed with the girls. Maybe that ritual was one of the forest as well? Still I followed the King's voice and marked Adrian's forehead as he marked mine. "Do you both swear to protect each other, help each other, fight for each other and stay by each other's side?"

"I do," I murmured.

"I swear," said Adrian.

King Randulf bowed his head. "Then you are free to go when you are ready." I looked at the king, whose eyes were on his son. His face held one of endless sadness and my breath hitched. I hadn't realized this before, but King Randulf was saying goodbye to his son, not sure if ever might return. Adrian let his eyes fall from his father to me and we looked at each other. It was then that I made a silent promise to myself that we would succeed. We would return victorious. I would not fail.

The look in Adrian's eyes told me he understood.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was really worried because after the last chapter, I didn't want to write this chapter - I was about ready to give up on Aurora, I really thought I'd just lost it.
Then I realized I had to just make myself write another chapter and I'm all better now, phew.