Status: In Progress

Pastries and Prejudice

Chapter 1

Frustration.

Annoyance.

These aggravating and dark emotions flickered through his mind, blocking out almost all-rational thought.

Only one word escaped from his mouth.

“Crap.”

Of course, Uchiha Sasuke should have been used to that reaction. It was his customary response whenever he finished counting the weekly profits.

‘And whoop-dee-freakin’-doo… it’s even worse then last week.’ Sasuke’s lips were pressed into a thin line; his dark brow intermittently twitched in annoyance.

Each week he would count the café’s revenue, hoping for any increases that would alleviate his worried mind.

…Each week he would only find his anxiety levels rising.

Sasuke could not make any sense of it. His employees were incredibly diligent. The influx of customers certainly were not dwindling. It was impossible for the revenue to decrease.

‘Unless someone was actually dipping into the restaurant’s funds...’

Sasuke quickly waved that thought away. His trust in his employees was unwavering. He thought it was improbable they would be desperate enough to steal money anyway... wasn’t it?

“Yo, boss! Done with all that math yet?” Sasuke’s dark orbs raised upwards, locking onto a pair of electric blue.

“You don’t need to know that, Naruto,” he informed solemnly, rushing his pale fingers through his dark locks.

“Ooh…. That bad, huh? Watch ya gonna to do with the money we do have?” Naruto inquired, plopping himself before his aggravated superior.

"The majority of this will probably have to go to the cafe's miscellaneous expenses." Sasuke sighed, poring over the tiny numbers once more. "I don't even know how I'm going to pay everyone this week..."

The blonde nodded his head in understanding, joining in the sighing harmony with his own tired sigh. "That’s what I was afraid of..."

With a curt, perturbed grunt, the young Uchiha inquired, “Who’s in discontent now? I bet it’s that blasted cook, isn’t it? He always did have something against me ever since I fired that bratty kid of his…”

“Surprisingly… no, it’s not. It’s one of the new waitresses. She’s getting a little upset about her salary,” Naruto informed him. “If she doesn’t get some sort of increase, she’s threatening to quit.”

“Then let her. I have absolutely zero patience to listen to anyone with an attitude. Everyone else seems alright with it,” Sasuke replied indifferently, leaning back against the dark upholstery. “I never expected her to stay long anyway. She's like all the new waitresses, complaining about the lack of pay and all the work. It's bothersome."

"But if she goes, we'll be short... Again," Naruto reminded his raven-haired friend.

The Uchiha simply shrugged his shoulders, languidly nodded his head in acknowledgement. The constant loss of workers was another pain to his side. Many quit due to their decreasing salary. Most of the replacements usually lasted for a few days – either quitting due to discontent over their pitiful wages or fired because to their annoying attitudes.

No one seemed to click with their cafe, or able to endure the Uchiha’s cold, harsh attitude.

It was the same boring, predictable routine each time…

"Well… if that's the case, may I make a suggestion?"

Such abruptness caught the Uchiha off guard. An inquiry of that nature was not part of the routine. Sasuke's dark brows furrowed, knitting in confusion. "What? A suggestion?"

"Yeah, a suggestion! Jeez... To think you call me a dumb!"

"Just tell me what you were talking about, dobe. What suggestion?" Sasuke repeated ominously, glaring coldly at the blonde.

"Damn! Sasuke you're so scary! No wonder you scare off half of the people looking for employment. How do you even have a girlfriend with that attitude?" Naruto mused aloud, feeling a shiver run down his spine. When he saw Sasuke's glare deepen, he quickly said, "Fine! I just wanted ya to know I have an idea for a new employee!"

Impassivity washed over the dark-haired male, raising a dark brow at his statement. "Oh? Elaborate, dobe."

With a bright smile on his pale face, touching his brilliant blue orbs, Naruto said, "Yeah, this girl's a hard worker and unbelievably tough. She's quick learner and very persistent. Heck, she’s just what this place needs. She’s perfect for the job!"

"Perfect for the job, huh?" Sasuke repeated skeptically. He sat back on his large, black leather chair, pondering his words. His loyal employee and friend remained in his place before him, entreating him with his brilliant electric blue spheres.

With a defeated shrug, Sasuke conceded. "Bring her in tomorrow. Let's see how good the chick is."

His eyes widened, deluging with shock. "Oh my god... Seriously? You're actually saying yes?"

"What if I am? As you said, we're short on help. I'm willing to look at someone you recommend."

"Ah, Sasuke, you must be desperate... But I'll take it! You won't regret it!"

"I better not... Or else you will suffer for wasting my time."

With a confident grin in his face, Naruto stated, "Oh? Suffer from hearing loss after listening all that praise you’d tell me? Then yes, I agree."

His boss shook his head, shooing the blonde away to continue his work. Once he was alone, the young Uchiha relaxed his body against the cold, black leather, letting his head fall backwards. Doubt nibbled deep within his abdomen, sending words of skepticism and worry to cross his mind.

‘Was that a wise choice?’ he wondered, his dark orbs lazily gazing at his office’s creamy ceilings. A tiny cough ripped through his throat.

Dismissing that momentary outburst, he deliberated he could trust him. After all, even though he didn’t wish to admit it, Naruto was one of his closest friends and confidants. He surely could trust his judgment… couldn’t he?

Besides, if this girl proved to be a waste of his time, he could do everything himself if needed to. Uchiha Sasuke thought he could do everything by himself.

He then let himself submit to the stress, the crushing girth of the troubles that swamped his mind, let himself fall into that dreamless, lonely darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
“It was me and this world and a broken dream
I was blaming myself
for all that was going wrong."
Lifeline – Papa Roach


Thank you for reading~