Status: In Progress

Pastries and Prejudice

Chapter 5

It took the young Uchiha longer than he would have liked to recollect himself. His demeanor reverted back to his old impassivity and asked coolly, “What are you doing here?”

“What? Is it wrong for a man to see his own nephew? It feels like forever since I’ve seen you at home,” Madara said with a light grin on his mouth.

“You seem to be avoiding my question, uncle. What in god’s name are you doing here?”

The older Uchiha stood relaxed in his place, eying his nephew with cold, unfeeling orbs. A small crinkle of amusement appeared at the corner of his eyes. He eloquently requested, “Why don’t we continue this lovely conversation in a more private setting? Then you could bombard me with any ludicrous question that pops into that brilliant mind of yours.”

Sasuke curtly nodded his head in agreement. He gracefully stood up from his seat and strolled off. Madara easily kept pace with Sasuke’s swift speed. Only Karin struggled to follow them, stumbling after them with each clumsy staccato of her high heel shoes.

“We can talk in my office,” Sasuke said, gesturing to his closed door.

“Of course.” Madara chuckled, remarking, “Pardon me, but I still find it wildly amusing you have an office. It’s almost quaint.”

His dark-haired nephew refused to respond, struggling to keep his expression unimpressed and unmoving. He reminded himself that the older Uchiha was needling him, trying to push his buttons. Though his uncle’s attempts were continually a success, Sasuke refused to give him any satisfaction. He had his own pride to maintain.

He slowly grasped the knob and turned it, trying not to dwell on the fact he did not remember closing it in the first place.

||__{~v~}__||

‘Ah! So much better!’ Sakura cheered, glad to be rid of her wet uniform. Her soaked clothes were folded into a sopping wet pile in her arms. She skipped out of her boss’s private bathroom, feeling refreshed and renewed

‘And all the more ready to deal with that witch.’

Soon she paused, frozen in her place. She watched as the knob wiggled, slowly allowing the door to open. She need not guess who was coming...

She repressed an alarmed squeak, dashing back and intrinsically dropping her soaked clothes carelessly onto the bathroom floor. She slowly closed the door and clicked the lights off. She sat in the darkness in silence, praying that Sasuke wasn’t planning on using the restroom anytime soon.

The door creaked open. One pair of footsteps waltzed inside. This person’s strike sounded relaxed, yet firm and deliberate.

‘Definitely Sasuke,’ inwardly scowled Sakura, feeling waves of condescension reverberating from the person’s footsteps.

Another set of footsteps followed. This person’s shoes ungracefully clunked against the wooden flooring, almost running inside the room.

As if she needed further confirmation, the new figure wailed joyously, “Thank god! I thought I’d never get here!”

‘Oh great. Now I get to listen to Sasuke and that creature’s torrid and disgustingly passionate love affair. Bleck.’ The pinkette’s delicate nose crinkled in disgust over the very thought. She edged away from the door and braced herself for a cacophony of lustful moans and gasps, fighting a burning tightness that sparked in her chest and the bile that burned her throat.

The door shut. Even though Sakura could not see in the dank room, she shut her eyes, blocking the images that singed her poor mind.

“Okay, we’re here,” she heard Sasuke’s say. Strangely enough, he wasn’t as close as she once thought. The first figure had strolled all the way inside the room, most likely looming over her boss’s burgundy desk. She should know. The bathroom was situated in a hidden corner near the desk.

Just as she allowed her mind to wonder whether the person near the desk was Sasuke or not, a new voice boomed out, “Ah, yes! You’re infamous office… your insipid taste in décor never ceases to baffle me.”

Sakura blinked, quietly edging towards the door. This voice was far deeper than Sasuke’s and even more scathing in tone.

She forced the door to crack open.

Falling into her line of vision was a man she had never seen before. His suit was tailored nicely over his toned body. She would have thought seeing a man with long hair would be rather feminine, but on this guy? It only accentuated his masculine features, emphasizing the cold confidence in his dark eyes.

“Enough talk,” Sasuke said, appearing from the right. Seeing those two stand right in front of each other, side by side, Sakura thought the resemblance was uncanny.

‘So that is Uchiha Madara, huh? Now I know where Sasuke got that attitude of his…’

“Yes, of course,” Madara smiled deviously. “I have much to speak to you about.”

The pink-haired girly slowly shut the door. ‘Eh, like I have to choice about listening to this. Let the family drama begin…’

||__{~v~}__||

Sasuke watched his uncle circle around the office room once more, eying the interior with a mysterious glint in his eyes.

“You know, it never ceases to amaze me how dismal your office is. Really! This place still has such a bland interior. I firmly suggest you fire whoever committed such a boring atrocity as this,” Madara commented, his dark orbs sweeping the pale white interior.

“I know you didn’t come here to share interior design tips. What the hell did you mean? What do you want to talk about?” Sasuke spoke, his voice demanding and firm.

The older dark-haired man chuckled slightly, circling around the wooden desk. “Ah, don’t play dumb! You’re far more intelligent than that. You know good and well just what I wanted to talk about.” Sasuke did not respond. He paused one moment at the dark leather chair and seated himself imperiously on the chair. He then added, “Then let me counter with a question of my own. Just how is this so-called business of yours?”

Sasuke felt his muscles tense. He refused to squirm in his place. He kept his cool gaze firm, staring straight into Madara’s dark orbs. “That badly, huh? What a shame… especially since you’re so talented in business.”

“Well is that what you wanted to talk about? Criticize my café? Well if that’s all, then please walk yourself out the door right now,” said Sasuke.

“No, no! There’s certainly more I wished to speak to you about, Sasuke-kun!” Madara exclaimed blithely. “This sad excuse of a business was just one of the things I wanted to talk to you about. I simply find it a waste to see you slave away at something that’s just going to fail in the end. You should spend your talents in an endeavor that’s more… fruitful.”

“Really? Like what?” humored the young man, his arms digging deep into his pants pockets.

“Say, the family business! Do you have any idea how successful the Uchiha Corporation is these days?”

Sasuke remained completely silent, rolling his eyes. Of course Sasuke knew how successful it was. His uncle was the president of the godforsaken company and would repeat just how many millions he’d gain each day. He was not that oblivious.

Madara soon continued, “You know, it would be nice if we actually worked as a family. Even though your onii-san is off doing god knows what in America,” – Madara paused, watching as Sasuke’s expression darken, flickers of anger sparking in his stolid eyes at the very mention of his older brother – “I think that shouldn’t stop you from working in the Uchiha Corporation. It’s your destiny to work there… for you parent’s sakes. I know they would have wanted you to once you were old enough.”

Sasuke failed to utter a response. He gaze had simply fallen downcast, caught in silent meditation. He allowed his gaze to meander along the cold, rigid lines of the hardwood flooring, absently traveling to the bathroom door.

His gaze stopped, eyeing a peculiar white fabric peeking out from underneath the door.
‘What the…?’ A single thread of thought rolled into his mind. ‘No… it couldn’t be.’

But there was no denying it. The fabric was not a sterling piece of white, something obviously seen on many of his loyal employees. No, there was something about it that caught his eye...

Before the young Uchiha could further examine the object, a shrill female voice whined, “I need to use the bathroom!”

Both men had forgotten that a certain red-haired female had followed them inside. Their dark irises had traveled towards the chair Karin had situated herself. Her face nearly screamed out in boredom, absentmindedly twirling a red tendril between her fiery, jeweled fingers.

“Then why don’t you get up and use the bloody bathroom?” Madara said, irritation seeping into hid calm veneer.

Karin released a curt breath of air, snootily lifting her torso from the chair and waltzing over to Sasuke’s private bathroom.

Sasuke could almost see it: Her eyes widening in fear, dreading each hurried click of Karin’s heels, praying with all her very might that Karin would miraculously decide not to open the door…

Then Sasuke felt his mouth move without his own volition, spitting out words he himself was surprised he’d say, “I’d suggest you don’t go in there, Karin.”

Karin skidded to a halt, her hand hovering inches above the cold knob.

“Why not?” was her question.

His mouth yet again took full control, eloquently replying, “It’s out of order. I’m having someone come in later on today to care of it.”

Karin groaned in response, rushing out the door to use the restroom. Just as Karin shut the door behind her, he could imagine again her breathing a sigh a relief, sinking into the cold tile floor.

Sasuke rolled his eyes, turning towards his uncle, grumbling under his breath about Karin being something that rhymed with 'gum pitch'.

‘Just me and him…’

“So what’s it going to be, Sasuke-kun?” Madara asked, resting his elbows on the desk, his head placed atop of pale hand. “Did you finally reconsider my offer on joining me? You’d be an excellent addition to the business!”

Sasuke reflected the answer for a single moment, just for the sake of humoring his uncle. No matter what Madara said or how he said it, Sasuke always said the exact same thing.

“Not a chance, uncle,” Sasuke said boldly, squaring his shoulders. “There’s no way I’m going to give up. An Uchiha is not a quitter.”

“Uchihas aren’t idiots either,” Madara countered eloquently, rising from the leather chair. “But what do I know? I am just a simple spectator in your affairs, occasionally giving you some money to keep this place going. Really, how do you do it? With the terrible pace it’s going, I’m surprised you choose to hang on with this motley crew of all people. Any smart person would have quit or at least be a little more careful about their bank account. They never know if it’s going into the wrong hands… or their pockets.” Sasuke felt rage trickle in his veins, glaring pure dagger at the dark-haired man. The older Uchiha smiled as Karin walked in the door.

“I just wanted to say I’m going to leave and let you two talk about your boring business. I’m tired,” Karin said with a yawn. “Hearing you two bicker about those kind of stuff makes me sleepy!”

“Actually, I think I’ll be going as well. I believe this conversation is over with, right?”
The young dark-haired male growled, “Yes, I suggest you leave.”

Madara nodded his head in agreement. “It seems I have overstayed my welcome! Little Sasuke-kun is getting upset!”

“Out!"

Madara complied, sauntering coolly towards the doorway with an impatient redhead. “Alright then. Good day to you, Sasuke! I hope you take care of that health of yours. This business can take quite a toll on you.”

Sasuke failed a response, watching as he slipped behind the white door, flickers of dark amusement radiating from his dark orbs.

||__{~v~}__||

Once he was sure that both Madara and Karin had left Sasuke completely, he allowed himself a low sigh of relief, heading towards his seat and sinking into the cold leather upholstery. ‘God, I’m tired…’

Every time they spoke about the business, Sasuke felt completely exhausted, enervated of all his strength.

It was an almost predictable, yet unpredictable routine each time. He always knew that Madara would try to convince him to quit the café and join the Uchiha Corporation. The only thing that varied each time was how Madara broached the subject and how badly he chose to crush the Uchiha’s confidence.

But an Uchiha is strong willed in nature. They can withstand almost anything.

Was Sasuke even the tiniest bit perturbed by his uncle’s verbal assault?

Before he could begin to meditate, fathom that simple little question, remembrance dawned over the young man. He repressed a groan and stood up, languidly creeping towards the bathroom door. He paused meditatively, mulling over a certain piece of white fabric that peeked out from the door. Maybe he would have let it go, thinking one of his employees used his private bathroom and dropped one of their belongings.

Maybe… if he did not see a wet, coffee-colored stains.

He nudged the door with his foot. “Hey, I know you’re in there, Sakura. Open the door and get out right now.”

At first, only placid silence answered him. He just stood patiently in his place, waiting for further response. Just as he finally lost his patience and was going to kick the door down, the door creaked open. Sasuke looked down, seeing a rosy female sitting bashfully on the cold floor.

“Uh, hi there, boss!” Sakura said timidly, a meek smile appearing over her lips. “So, how about today’s weather? Is it going to be any good?”

“I heard pouring rain and possible thunder,” the irritated Uchiha said.

“Na-uh! It can’t be! I have to walk home today!”

“Sakura, just tell me what the hell you are doing trespassing in my office?!”

“I wouldn’t consider it trespassing per se. I was just using the bathroom. Yours just was the only one conveniently open.”

“Just tell me what you were doing there!”

Sakura flinched at harsh rasp of his voice, but refused to respond. Her arms crossed adamantly across her chest. With a look of contempt on her face, Sakura countered with a question of her own, “How’d you know I was there?”

“You left a trail.” Sakura looked down to see her apron’s white strings peeking out from the bathroom’s threshold. As a curse flew from her lips, she quickly swept up her clothes and promptly folded them into a neat pile. “But you haven’t answered my question yet, Sakura.”

She snorted. “I refuse to answer such a stupid question. It was a bathroom, and I have the right to use it!”

His dark brow twitched, blatantly annoyed over the rosy female’s adamancy over the subject.

He then withdrew that question with another. “What exactly did you hear?”

Her hand tightened around the wet fabric, but soon relaxed. Sasuke watched as Sakura’s gaze drop, reflecting over her response carefully. She tentatively raised her gaze.

No words needed to be exchanged.

Sasuke released a groan, massaging his pounding temples. “Why must everything happen to me? Damn my freakin’ luck…” he grumbled crossly under his breath, pacing all around his office.

He then heard the young maid scramble to her feet, running after him. “But, Sasuke! Sasuke, was what that guy said true?”

Sasuke ignored her.

“Is the café business really that bad?”

Sasuke vigorously massaged his aching head, trying to block out the annoying incessancy of her voice.

“And what was that about the Uchiha Corporation? I would have though –”

“Shut up. Shut up! SHUT UP!” Sasuke finally yelled, whirling to face the inquiring female. “You were not even to supposed to hear any of that. It’s none of your business to know about the café’s financial state, the family business, anything! You just won’t understand any of it. You know nothing about me or my life!”

Sasuke breathed in, trying to regain his calm, his composure. He waited for Sakura’s reaction.

Her eyes widened, drowning in a deluge of shock. Her gaze then fell downcast, her green orbs glazed with an emotion Sasuke failed to identify.

Finally her response came. “Wow… déjà vu all over again, huh, Sasuke?”

The Uchiha blinked once before finally he understood. Sasuke remembered.

His countenance simply hardened, waiting as Sakura spoke again. “You know, I don’t even know why I bothered asking. You just would start yelling at me!” Sakura snapped her head up. “I was just trying to be a good person and see if anything’s bothering you, but I happened to have forgotten one important thing. Uchihas don’t get hurt. Uchihas are strong and tough and do everything themselves. Well that’s just fine by me! That’s the last time I try helping you. If you want to do everything by your freaking self, then go right ahead! See if I give a damn!”

Sakura released an aggravated groan and stormed off, swinging the door open. She paused at the threshold for a single moment and turned around, anger effervescently shining in her green eyes. "I’m going back to work, you teme!"

Then the door slammed shut. Silence quickly diffused throughout the room, nearly suffocating him in its soundless veil. The terrible stillness forced Sasuke to confront the inventions of his mind, to meditate over his feelings and face the questions that ghosted into his mind.

Sasuke should have felt angry over Sakura’s annoying questions and yelling at him as if he was the underling.

But just what did Sakura feel at that moment?

Nothing.

Sasuke could only feel a hollow emptiness in his entire being, weightless and vacuous a vapors of evaporated water.

He had watched his empty move almost autonomously towards the sleek black chair, sink into the frozen chill.

Sasuke was not even sure about Madara and his visit. This careless thought soon incited another to roll into his mind – one move potent then his other thoughts.

Was even Sasuke slightly upset over his uncle’s provocation? Sure, finances were always his greatest concern. He grew so paranoid as to split the café funds to two locations. Half goes into his bank account while the other half goes into a secret vault, one only he and most like his uncle knows about. He refused to count profits that day, fearful to discover Madara was right.

At that moment, Sasuke only felt sure about one thing.

Sakura was right.

Sasuke was an Uchiha. Uchihas do things by themselves.

'I don't need anyone,' he thought finitely. 'I...'

Suddenly his thoughts were interrupted a surge of coughs, rushing out in a long, throat-burning string. It felt like an agonizing eternity before the Uchiha felt it end, relieving his throat of further anguish.

He released a tired breath. ‘Jeez… so tired…’ The dark-haired man slowly closed his eyes, suddenly irritated by the low hanging lights.

Sasuke was sure he needed absolutely no one. He could do everything by himself.
Sasuke thought he needed absolutely no one. He could do everything himself.

He then slowly found himself drifting, his mind falling down into the cold, solitary darkness, trying to ignore the uncomfortable heat burning his skull…

||__{~v~}__||

The rest of the day could not have proceeded any slower. Sasuke had remained fairly motionless in his office, not feeling any strength to walk and out check on his employees.

He lazily turned his head to glance at the clock.

"Closing time," Sasuke deliberated in a nearly inaudible voice. He stretched his limbs upwards, forcing himself out of his chair. His muscles felt heavy by weights, hampering his advances as he shuffled his disoriented shell out the door. His head was pounding, his sense of balance fading with each step.

He rounded around into the dining area and sent a cursory glance around his surroundings. The chairs were neatly placed atop tiny tabletops, the floors cleaned to sparkling perfection.

'Guess Sakura finally did her job right.' A cough exploded from his mouth, setting a burning sensation to rise his throat.

He felt his bearings grew shakier, the world slowly moving side to side as he headed out the door. The night was chilly, a pleasant comfort in Sasuke's eyes. He embraced the cold, allowing it to wash over his hot face as he commenced walking down the sidewalk.

Drip.

He ignored the drop of precipitation, thinking it was his mind playing tricks on him. He tried steadying his steps, recollect his poise and perception as he walked through the street alone.

He felt his condition grow worse.

Drop.

He felt his skull pounding, the world suddenly creating a dizzying dance. His feet could barely walk a straight line. His vision grew bleary, almost unable to recognize where he was going.

Then he suddenly found himself face-to-face with granite.

Drip. Drop.

His body refused to move a single muscle even as the rain began pelting his body. He just felt himself slowly shutting down.

'I can do this by myself...' his mind wearily repeated, as he felt himself fall into the shadows. 'All by myself...'

Then there was darkness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Is there anybody out there?
Can you pull me from this ocean of despair?
I'm drowning in the pain
breaking down again
looking for a lifeline

(By: Papa Roach)

Thanks for reading~