Goodbye

I Regret Saying Goodbye

I could honestly say
You've been on my mind
Since i woke up today


Okay. So I know I don’t actually sleep, so I guess you could say that I’m always thinking about her. I can’t ever get her out of my head. She’s always there, like an annoying little moth that buzzes in front of your beside lamp when you’re trying to read, casting a shadow over the pages. Yes, that’s how annoying thinking about her is. I mean, we had only met briefly before she asked me back to her apartment. We met in a bar. I was drowning my sorrows as I did. I hated what I had become; I hated what she had turned me into; I hated what I had done since this had happened to me. But this girl, this small pixie like angel, changed everything. We didn’t have sex or anything, before you ask. We talked all night. She told me that she had seen me coming, literally. She told me she could see the future; that she had been waiting for me for months. I had looked at her like she was mad. But then she told me that she was exactly like me, although, she had no recollection of her life prior to the transformation. I told her where I had come from, and what had happened to me. I broke down in front of a girl I had known for 2 hours; confessing all I had done. She had nodded thoughtfully and told me she could help fix that guilt and showed me other ways of gaining sustenance that didn’t include brutally killing innocent people.
I stood up, opening my wallet and handing the barman a $20 note. I saw the photo of the two of us she had made me take inside one of those photo booth things at the mall.

I look at your photograph all the time these memories come back to life and i don’t mind.

Being in there, she had told me was a test. Surrounded by all those humans drove me crazy. I looked closer at the photo. She had a beautiful smile on her face; her arms were draped around my shoulders; her eyes were golden. I then looked at myself. I was stiff as a board; looking straight ahead, my eyes were blood red. She told me that was happened when you were a “new born.” She had told me that the red would soon fade into the golden that hers were. I sat back down at the bar and pulled out the other 3 photos we took in the booth. I laid them out on the bar. I was the same in every photo but one. One had her grinning, one had her sticking her tongue out at the camera and one had her pushing her nose up making her resemble a pig. The last photo was one she had forced me into to. She had turned my face to look at her right before the flash, and she had kissed me on the lips. I always smile at the thought. I had enjoyed that kiss. I touched my lips.

I remember when we kissed
I still feel it on my lips.


She had forced me into dancing that night. It was one of the most excruciating nights of my life; the sweat, the faces and the blood pumping quickly through their veins. I had stopped dead in the middle of the dance floor when I was hit with the wall of scents. She had stood in front of me, looking me dead in the eyes. She had told me that I wouldn’t hurt anyone in here. She had told me to pay attention to her and only her. I focused on her all night. It was well into the night, 2am. There was no music playing through the jute box anymore. But, we continued to dance; forehead to forehead to the song in our head.

The time that you danced with me
With no music playing


It was painful remembering those things. It was painful remembering when she said goodbye to me. I asked if I would ever see her again. She had smirked at me and left the bar, leaving me sitting alone. I wiped a tear from my cheek.

i remember those simple things
I remember till i cry. But the one thing i wish I’d forget
A memory i want to forget
Is goodbye.


I glanced at my watch. It was 2am. It had been exactly 2 weeks since I had seen her. I sighed at thought, wishing I actually had oxygen in my lungs to expel. I got up and walked over the jute box. I slipped a quarter into it and hit a button. The last song she and I had danced to started to play. It was the final song before the bar had gone silent; before we started dancing to nothing; before it was only us in the bar; before we parted ways.

I woke up this morning
And played our song
And i know my tears sing along.


I sighed again, my palms leaning against the jute box. I shook my head and pulled my phone out of my pocket. I could just call her, tell her I miss her and that I want to see her again. I rest my phone on top of the jute box.

I picked up the phone and then put it down
because i know I’m wasting my time
And i don’t mind


My phone started to vibrate and I stopped the jute box track. I recognized the ring tone as the one I had designated as her.

Suddenly my cell phone's glowing up
With your ring tone
I hesitate but answer it anyway.
You sound so alone
It does it right to hear you say


“Hello?”

“Hi,” her small voice came through the receiver.

“What’s wrong?” I ask her. “Are you okay?”

“I miss you,” she tells me. “And, I remember when we kissed. I still feel it on my lips; the time that you danced with me, with the no music playing.”

“I remember too,” I answered. “And I miss you too. I was actually just about the call you.”

“Liar,” a voice behind me said. I whipped around and nearly dropped my phone when I see her standing there. I smile at her.

“I’m sorry I left,” she told me sadly, looking me in the eye. “I remember all those simple little things we did. I don’t want to leave you again.”

“Then don’t,” I tell her, before sweeping her up into a kiss. I felt her kiss me back and I smiled.

We talked till we cried.
You said that your biggest regret.
The one thing you wish I’d forget Is saying goodbye.


“My biggest regret is leaving you,” she told me.

“I won’t let you leave me again,” I told her, embracing her tightly.

“I guess we’re together for eternity, Jasper,” she smiled her beautiful smile at me.

“I guess so, Alice.”