Australia

Chapter One Hundred and Thirteen

Sam’s POV

Kevin’s birthday had gone off hitch free. He sat grinning like an idiot at the dining table while he opened all the gifts that he had picked out; a silver chain, a voucher for one of his favourite clothing stores, new guitar picks, two pairs of his favourite boots, a cover for his phone. He laughed when he opened Joes; finding his Police shirt folded up nicely at the bottom of the box underneath a simple black guitar strap with a bible verse (“Let your light shine before men, so they may se your good deeds and praise your father in Heaven) written on it and another pair of boots. His face had lit up and he had hugged me tightly again when he told the family what I had got him. They all said it was really sweet. After a mammoth size 21st birthday cake, Danielle came and collected him for dinner at 5pm.

It was the next day that I took the chance to go and talk to Joe; who hadn’t been out of his room all day. He was yesterday for Kevin’s birthday. It was like he had gone back to how he was before we slept together. He had his arm around my waist when we stood around the dining table giving Kevin his gifts, he smiled at me as we sung happy birthday and he kissed my cheek when Kevin announced what I had got him.

Kevin had left to go out with Danielle for the day and Denise and Paul had taken Frankie with them out to his friend James’ for a sleepover then they were going grocery shopping. This left Nick on the couch with me downstairs and Joe to traipse back up stairs and close himself into his bedroom.

Sitting on the couch, I was cold. The nights were getting colder. It was just after 6pm and it was verging on freezing. Thankfully, the clean washing basket had yet to be sorted and a big grey baggy jumper of Joe’s was in there. I only knew because I had worn it before. I peered into the basket from my position on the couch and spied the sleeve. I yanked it out and pulled it on. Nick gave me a look and I stood up.

“I’m going to go and talk to Joe,” I told him; earning a nod from Nick. “I need to get to the bottom of this mood.”

“Good luck,” Nick told me; picking up the remote and changing the channel.

With a frown I made my way upstairs. I stopped outside Joe’s door and knocked. When I didn’t get a response, I knocked again; and again. I heard a groan and a few moments later the door opened. Joe stood in front of me; sweat pants and a big jacket on. His hair was soft and curly; undone. I smiled softly at him. He stuffed his hands into the pockets of his jacket and tilted his head at me. He looked tired.

“Can we talk Joe?” I asked.

He stepped to the side and let me pass; leaving door ajar. I sat down on Kevin’s bed; facing Joes. Joe sat across from me on his bed. He looked up at me.

“What did you want to talk about?” he asked me. His voice was quiet and unsure.

“Us,” I told him simply. “Mainly you, I guess. You haven’t been yourself since, you know.”

“I haven’t?” he dropped his gaze to the carpet at his feet.

“No,” I replied flatly. “You haven’t really spoken to me either.”

“I’m sorry,” he said; his voice just as soft as before.

“There’s no need to apologise,” I consoled. “I just want to know whets going on.”

“There’s nothing going on,” he looked up; shifting slightly and resting his hands in his lap.

“If there’s nothing going on then why won’t you look at me?” I asked him in a flat tone.

“I, I don’t know,” he answered; his eyes still cast to the floor.

“Look at me,” I demanded; trying to catch his eye.

Joe didn’t move. He spun the ring on his finger a few times.

“Joe,” I asked softer. “Please look at me.”

Joe looked up and I caught his eye. His eyes were sad; disappointed. I tilted my head at him and slid to the very edge of the bed. I reached out and rested my palm against his cheek.

“You don’t regret it do you?” I asked Joe.

He immediately dropped his eyes from mine again. I slowly lowered my hand from his face; bringing it to rest in my lap. He regretted it. Joe regretted sleeping with me.

“You, you d-do,” I stuttered out.

Joe bit down on his lip.

“You do!” I said louder. Joe jumped. “You regret it.”

“No,” Joe whispered.

“What?” I said ever louder. I stood up and moved away; starting to pace in the gap created in the space between the wall of wardrobes and the beds.

“I don’t regret doing it with you but,” Joe replied. He looked up. His face was upset but stronger.

“But what?” I questioned.

“I don’t regret doing it with you, but I do regret doing it,” he admitted.

“And you suppose that makes everything better,” I yelled; exasperated. “You regret it, but you don’t regret it happening with me?”

Nick’s POV

I sat on the couch downstairs with the television muted; listening in on the argument happening upstairs.

”And you suppose that makes everything better,” Sam’s voice sounded upstairs.

“Hey Nick,” Kevin’s excited happy voice came form the door.

“Hey Kevin,” j smiled at him. “How was your day?”

“Amazing,” he grinned at me. “Went shopping with Dani, and had lunch at this little place on the other side of town.”

I smiled at my older brother before turning my head back to the television.

“What’s going on up there?” Kevin asked; sitting on the arm of the chair beside me.

“Sounds like an argument to me,” I replied.

“Should we, maybe, go and investigate?” Kevin suggested. “I don’t want them arguing when mum and dad come home.”

“Maybe,” I shrugged half heartedly.

I stood up reluctantly and followed Kevin up the stairs. We walked quietly to Joe’s bedroom and pushed the door gently. Sam was standing up; one hand on her hip the other flailing about. Joe sat on his bed. He looked a mess; hair disheveled and his face sad. He was looking at the floor. I looked back at Sam. Her face was tear streaked. I wasn’t sure if it was sad crying or angry crying but she was definitely upset.

“I just can’t believe this!” she yelled at Joe and if possible, it looked like he shrunk even more into the bd. He looked small and vulnerable; two things my brother never was.

“What's going on?” Kevin asked; stepping ahead of me and into the bedroom.

Both Sam and Joe looked up at us; both sets of eyes grew wide. I heard Joe sigh. Sam looked away from us before coming towards me and Kevin. She shoved her way between us. I looked around the door frame and watched her run down the stairs. I made a move to follow her. I looked back at Joe. He looked so fragile, so vulnerable. Kevin walked towards Joe and draped his arm across his shoulders. I made my break, following Sam down the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 113.
What do you guys think?
Comments?