Australia

Chapter One Hundred and Fifteen

4 weeks later

Sam’s POV

It was four weeks yesterday that I had left the Jonas household. I was bombarded with calls from Kevin and Denise for the first couple of days; making sure I was okay. Truth be told, I was fine. I was lonely, but fine. I was staying in a nice little motel in the middle of the city. I didn’t go out much; it was too cold to anyway. What I didn’t expect was to be recognised as Joe Jonas’s girlfriend in public. I wasn’t a celebrity and I was alone. If I had been with Joe or one of the brothers, sure. But going to the store to buy a box of tampons isn’t an occasion that you expect to be stopped and asked for a photo and asked questions about my relationship with Joe. I was praised for my actions back in Australia against the reporter and told I was a bit of a hero for standing up for the boys. I had simply smiled for the photos and escaped as quickly as possible.

I emailed Tash every now and then and she filled me in about her exploits with Michelle, how her first year of Uni was and the latest party she had attended. She also told me that I was on Gossip websites occasionally that she was linked to through Twitter; mainly photos of Joe and I out on our picnics or walking around the streets hand in hand. She informed me that my little brother was playing soccer now and that my mum and step-dad were renovating the backyard.

I got texts from Joe every other day but I didn’t reply. Most of them were along the same lines; apologising for regretting sleeping together and that he loved me. Other than that I had basically severed ties temporarily. I didn’t know if what I was doing was selfish but I maintained that I was doing it for Joe and Nick. I had really screwed things up over there. I sat back against my head board and spun my promise ring around my finger. It still looked so perfect; but not as perfect as the moment he had given it to me.

”But I don’t care what they say, I’m in love with you. They try to pull me away, but they don’t know they truth.”

I glanced over at my sidekick as it blasted Leona Lewis from its speakers. That was my ringtone. It used to be Tonight, but since I actually did work things out, I thought a change was necessary. It was “Bleeding Love” back before I met Joe. No one believed me; my mum, dad or even Tash, that I was in love with Joe, a boy I had never even met. I changed it back because it reminded me of those times. I picked up my phone and checked the caller idea. It was Kevin. i pressed the answer button and pressed the phone to my ear.

“Hey Kevin,” I said into the phone. I tried being cheerful.

“Hey Sammy!” he greeted me. “Are you coming today?”

“Coming where?” I asked him; switching ears.

I chewed on the cuff of Joe’s jumper. I had taken to wearing it to bed and almost everyday. It still smelled like him.

“To the photo shoot,” Kevin answered me. “Rolling Stone! For the second time baby!”

“Oh,” I pulled at the cuff with my teeth. “I don’t know, Kevin.”

“Look Sam,” Kevin told me flatly. “You haven’t seen us in what, 4 weeks?”

“Yeah,” I sighed.

“So you’re coming!” Kevin told me. “I’ve decided for you. You can’t avoid us forever.”

“Okay okay,” I caved. “I’ll come.”

“Good,” Kevin replied. I could practically hear the smile on his face. “I’ll be at your little motel in about an hour. Pack your stuff; you’re coming home.”

“But Kev....” I started but he was already gone.

I sighed and stood up; doing what I was told. I threw all my clothed back into my suitcase and left it zipped up on my bed. I pulled on a pair of dark blue skinny jeans; teaming them with a white long sleeve shirt, a light blue tee shirt and my newly acquired black leather jacket. I surveyed my appearance in the bathroom mirror; deciding to only run my fingers through my hair and pulling a beanie over it. My curls sat way past my shoulders; not as long as summer but longer than before. I pulled on my boots and walked out of the motel room, dragging my suitcase behind me. I trudged down the small corridor and down the stairs. I signed out of the motel and gave the key back to the woman. I walked out and sat on my suitcase on the foot path waiting for Kevin.

I sat waiting for 10 minutes before her pulled up. He climbed out of his car and stuck my suitcase in the boot. I climbed into the passengers’ side of the car; the warmth of the heater immediately making me feel alive again.

“So, how are you Sam?” Kevin asked as he pulled away from the curb.

I clicked my seatbelt into place and turned in my seat to face Kevin.

“I’m alright,” I answered. “Really; I am.”

“Did you miss me?” Kevin asked. We pulled to a stop at a red light and he turned and grinned at me.

I half laughed at him.

“Yes Kevin,” I nodded. “I missed all of you.”

“But, you missed me most right?” Kevin pushed; the grin not leaving his face.

“Of course,” I told him. I had missed Kevin being, Kevin. “The lights green.”

Kevin pulled away again. After 25 minutes of driving and harmless banter we pulled into the parking lot of a studio. I felt the butterflies take off.

“I’m suddenly very nervous,” I laughed awkwardly; pulling the sleeves of my jacket down over my hands in a desperate attempt to keep the warmth from the heater on them.

“Don’t be,” Kevin smiled, but I would’ve sworn it was a smirk. “They don’t even know you’re coming.”

Kevin slid out of the car.

“What?” I asked. I was even more nervous now. I followed Kevin out of the car.

“Come on,” Kevin gestured with his head. “Follow me.”

I walked around the car to Kevin’s side. I adjusted my leather jacket and zipped in up half away. As we entered the building, I pulled off my beanie and ran my fingers through my hair again. I buried my hands and beanie in my pockets of my jacket and followed close behind Kevin.

“I’ve got to go this way,” Kevin stopped abruptly. “Fittings and such. You go that way.”

He pointed to a door on the opposite side. I cocked my eyebrow at him. He shrugged innocently and walked away. I looked at the door he pointed to and cautiously made my way over to it. I turned the handle and stepped inside. Nick stood at a table; pricking the side of his finger with the pen thing he used to check his blood sugar levels. I walked towards him and pulled a face.

“Watching you do that makes me squirm,” I said aloud. Nick jumped a little. “I’d hate to do that everyday.”

“Everyday for over three years,” Nick told me flatly; his voice monotone.

I guess I deserved that. I hadn’t tried to get in contact with him since I left. I watched him as he recorded his levels in the little booklet and packed up the little kit. He turned to face me. His face was vulnerable and hurt. I instantly felt guilty for what happened.

“I’m so sorry Nick,” I breathed and pulled him into a hug.

He was stiff. His arms lay at his sides still and his body was rigid. I heard him sigh and he wrapped his arms around my waist. I smiled into his tee shirt clad shoulder.

“It’s alright,” he whispered into my ear. “I forgive you. I guess; I was just taken aback by what you did in the tree house. I’ve never been in that situation before. It was...”

“Strange?” I offered.

“Uncomfortable,” he finished.

I released him form the hug and stepped back from each other. We smiled briefly before dropping our gaze simultaneously to the floor.

"So, what are you doing here?" Nick asked; a small smile forming.

"Kevin called me," i told him; stuffing my hands into my pockets. "He said, i had avoided you guys and Joe long enough."

“Oh. So, um, speaking of Joe, have you told him what happened in the tree house?” Nick asked and I shook my head.

“No,” I told him. “i havent even seen him yet. Kevin told me to come here. And besides, I think it would be better if we didn’t.”

“Agreed,” Nick nodded. “I better get to set. Are you coming with?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “Let’s go.”

Joe’s POV

Truth be told, I wasn’t really in the mood for a photo shoot; even if it is for Rolling Stone magazine. I had been in a bad mood since Sam left; even Frankie was annoyed with me or sick of me, just like everyone else was. It was quite rightly so though; I’d been rude and blunt with everyone. Not even hanging out with Garbo put the usual smile on my face. I guess people were worried; they made a constant effort to pay attention to me but honestly, it was what annoyed me the most. I just wanted to be left alone. Sam hadn’t even replied to the multitude of text messages I had sent her and she didn’t answer her phone when I called. At first I thought it was that stupid phone of hers mucking up but as it continued to happen, I stopped fooling myself and came to terms with the fact that she just didn’t want to speak to me. I sat in the makeup chair as one of the Rolling Stone make up artists did me up; rubbing my face with different sponges. I frowned as Nick walked into the make up room and sat in the chair beside me.

“What took you so long?” I asked him.

I know; it came out as such a rude comment but, I really couldn’t care less.

“I’m diabetic remember?” he replied flatly. See; they’re all sick of me. “I had some levels to deal with.”

“Right,” I answered; suddenly feeling stupid.

“Alright boys,” the photographer smiled as he walked into the room; rubbing his palms together. “Are you ready to make some magic?”

“Absolutely,” Kevin grinned and answered enthusiastically.

“Bring it on,” Nick replied.

“Sure,” I answered; my answer less than half heartedly.

“Come boys!” the photographer yelled at us. “Kevin; you’re looking great! Nick; you’re stoically handsome as usual. Joe; you’re giving me nothing kid!”

I frowned and sighed. Apparently I had been giving him ‘nothing’ for the entire time.

“You look unhappy, kid,” the photographer told me. “Smile or something.”

I forced a smile and the photographer pulled a face.

The photographer sighed; throwing his free hand up in frustration. Nick and Kevin both eyed me and I rolled my eyes at them; casting my eyes towards the floor.

“Come on bro,” Kevin urged me.

“Get this kid something to smile at,” the photographer demanded of his assistants. “A puppy, a kitten, a rainbow...”

“How about his girlfriend?” a voice rang from behind the back drop and the owner stepped around and onto set.

“Perfect!” the photographer announced.

I looked to my left and saw Sam walked out from behind Nick. She looked good; dark blue jeans, a leather jacket; her curls were bouncing and longer.

“Sam?” I said; gobsmacked. I knew my eyes were almost out of my head they were open so wide but I was so shocked to see her.

She walked up to me and pressed a soft kiss to my lips.

“Now smile,” she instructed and stepped backwards until; she reached the photographer. She stood to his left with my dad. I smiled at her and felt suddenly better, stronger and most of all happy.

I looked to my brothers and back to the camera.

“Let’s get this done properly now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I love how Kevin fixes everything. Go big brother Kev.
Comments? Do you like it?