Australia

Chapter One Hundred and Twenty

Nick's POV

Joe had walked around the house telling each member of the family to assemble in the lounge room in an hour. When the clock struck 12pm; I wandered into the lounge room. Sam and Joe weren't in the room but everyone else was; Kevin was on the lounge, Frankie was beside him. Mum and Dad each had an arm chair. I took a seat on the lounge beside Kevin on the other side.

"What's going on?" I leaned close and asked Kevin; he shrugged in reply.

"I have no idea," his usually thoughtful face was blanketed in confusion.

It was then that Joe and Sam entered the room. Sam always managed to take my breath away when she entered the room. Even though she was only wearing a pair of light blue denim jeans and a grey hoodie, she looked stunning. Joe walked behind the lounge and sat himself on the back of it; eyes forward watching Sam. She had stopped on the other side of the coffee table and was still standing up. I glanced at Joe; his face was dismal to say the very least. I frowned. What was this about?

"Hi," Sam's voice broke the eerie silence that filled the living room. "Thank you all for coming."

Her voice sounded small and nervous. What was going on? What she sick? Was her asthma playing up? Was there something going on with her family? Was there something wrong?

"Okay, well. I better just get started. I wanted you all to come together so I didn't have to tell you each individually," she chewed her lip.

I looked at Joe again; his expression was darker.

"I've really grown accustomed to living with you guys; all of you, but I've decided that for Christmas, I'm going to go home,” she told us; her voice suddenly stronger.

Wait, what? She was leaving?

“And before any of you say anything,” she continued. “Joe, Nick, no one is coming with me. I'm going home to Australia to spend Christmas like I usually do; going to church on Christmas Eve with my Grandparents, spending Christmas Day with my immediate family and Boxing Day with my friends. As much as I'd love to wake up Christmas morning to all your friendly faces, I really do miss home. But, like, it’s not like I’m going forever. I will be coming back." She smiled at each of us.

"How long will you be gone?" I asked the first question that popped into my head.

"A month," she told us.

I exchanged a glance with Joe. His face was knowing. He had been told prior to this meeting and he didn't want this happening anymore than I did. I frowned again. I couldn’t believe she was actually going to leave us.

"A whole month?" Frankie’s voice sounded from the other side of the Kevin. "But, do we still get Christmas with you? Maybe after you come back?"

I smiled at what my little brother had said; Kevin was rubbing off on him.

"That's a brilliant idea," Mum replied enthusiastically; smiling at Sam. "After you come back, we'll have Christmas like we usually would. We'll have our Christmas on December 25th, and then again when Sam comes back."

"Tell them when you're leaving us, Sam," Joe requested bitterly.

"I'm leaving on the 23rd," she half smiled.

"What?" I gaped at her. I checked my watch for the date. "That's only 3 days away."

"Yep," her smile had faded. "But, please see this from my point of view Nick. I need to see my family for Christmas."

I understood what she meant but it didn't stop me from being upset about this. The thought of not seeing her for a month was killing me; a whole month without the smile, the hugs and her laugh would be long and it would be torture. I wanted to take her ice skating more I wanted to have a snowball fight with her; there was so much I wanted to so with her over winter.

"When will you be coming back?" Dad asked. It was a good question.

"I'll be flying out of Australia on the 27th of January. It’s Australia Day on the 26th. It's a tradition with my family; we have a barbeque and all that jazz," she was smiling again.

What was she smiling about? What was there to smile about? I suddenly felt annoyed. I know that was selfish but it consumed me. I sighed.

"Well then," I stood up. "Happy travelling."

I walked out of the living room; feeling my family’s eyes on me as I vacated the room. I made my way up the stairs.

"Nick!" Joe's grave voice was trying to get my attention.

I ignored him and closed my door.

Sam's POV

Watching Nick get up and walk away, hurt me. What I was doing was important to me; it was none of his business. i suddenly grey angry with Nick. What gave him the right to do that> whaqt gave him the right to storm away like that? I looked at Joe. He was looking at me; a small smile playing on his lips. He was going to miss me but he hadn't just stormed away in a tantrum. My smile faded.

"Excuse me," I told the family and stomped my way up the stairs. I was going to do this. I was going to tell him off. It was rare that I got mad at Nick but this was unfair, uncalled for and juvenile. I flung Nick's bedroom door open hard. It banged on the wardrobe that sat slightly behind it. Nick sat up on his bed.

"How dare you?!" I yelled at him.

"How dare I what?" he yelled back.

"How dare you make me feel guilty for wanting to see my family on Christmas and New Years? How dare you? It's none of your business for one!" I was fuming.

"It's none of my business, is it? How is it not my business? I'm the one being left behind!" he stood up; slightly towering of me. I couldn't help but feel slightly threatened by him. I glared up at him and I stood my ground.

"You aren't the one being left being Nick! None of you are being left behind. You are not my boyfriend! Joe is my boyfriend but you're taking this harder then he is! It's not like there's no way of contacting me! Text me, call me, write me a damn letter or an email! Besides I'm coming back aren't I; or would you prefer it if I didn't?"I retorted; my voice loud and angry.

I was surprised at the tone I was taking with Nick. Where’d this sudden confidence come from? His eyes grew wide and his head snapped up at my words. His face then grew smug.

"You wouldn't do that. You wouldn't not come back. You'd miss us too much," he told me in a tone that made me want to slap him across the face. I’d found confidence and he had found arrogance. I felt the urge to smack him.

"You know what, you are selfish prick," I took a step forward.

Nick took a step back. I was winning; I had power over him. No longer was he controlling me with his guilt trips. He could control me and he couldn’t make me stay; not this time. This was something I had to do for myself. It had nothing to do with him.

"If you really want to leave things like this, then fine! I'll miss Joe and Kevin. I'll miss Frankie, your mum and dad. And even Rob and Maya. But right now, I really doubt that I would miss you. Actually, I know I wouldn't! What lovely memories would I be going home to Australia with form these last few days together? Arguments and fights. Why would I miss such an arrogant asshole!"

I saw Nick cringe slightly. I was getting to him. Now, the icing on the cake. I took one step closer so I was right up close to his face. I looked him dead in the eye and spoke in a stern whisper.

"What makes you think that I'd come back for you anyway?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright.
Don't hate me for leaving it there.
I hope you guys like it.
Comment and let me know.
<3