Australia

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty

Nick’s POV

According to the internet, it would take four hours to drive from Dallas to Sam’s dad’s ranch; in good traffic that is. We had had a free run so far, the roads were almost free of traffic. For the first hour, Sam and I had indulged in a sing-a-long consisting of Owl City, Elvis Costello, Switchfoot and Kings of Leon. It has slowly died off; both of us losing interest. We had fallen silent about an hour ago; causing an eerie awkward silence to fall over the car. It was just the sound of the engine and the tapping of the keys of Sam’s iPhone that I could hear. I glanced at her briefly before turning my attention back to the road. I wasn’t sure if she was playing a game or texting. I hadn’t played with an iPhone much; being more of a Blackberry guy. But judging by the frequency of the tapping and the fact that her phone was horizontally told me she was typing. I sighed. There was nothing worse then being in a car with someone that wasn’t talking to you. I glanced over at her again. Her head was down and her sunglasses had slid down her nose a bit. The wind created by the movement of the car made her hair fly back off her face. She smiled slightly to herself and started typing again; quicker then before.

The sky grew overcast; grey clouds moving across the sky. I pulled my sunglasses of my face; stick them into the V of my black v-neck tee shirt. I frowned.

“You know Sam,” I started. “If you didn’t want me to come with you, you could have invited Joe.”

She didn’t answer. I glanced at her slightly; noticing her expression was unchanged.

“Sam?” I said; my voice louder then before.

“Oh, sorry,” she told me. “Did you say something?”

“No,” I lied; my previous statement deemed unimportant in my mind. “What are you doing anyway?”

“Emailing Tash,” she replied. “Its the right time over there.”

“Oh,” I frowned; pursing my lips.”Well, I’d appreciate some sort of conversation from you. I don’t like just sitting here with my own thoughts. I’m not interesting.”

“Sorry,” she apologised. “You should of said something.”

“I didn’t want to upset you.” I answered honestly.

The traffic started to build up, up ahead and I slowed the jeep drown dramatically; coming to a stop. The conversation took the same road. I frowned and took this opportunity to look at Sam properly. She shifted in her seat slightly; moving to sit on more of an angle. She folded one leg up onto the seat under her and slid her sunglasses off her face onto her head; her fringe and stray hair being dragged backwards. She scrunched her nose up and yawned. She settled herself almost sideways in her seat and inhaled. She smiled slightly. She was so beautiful. Everything about her. The freckles that dusted her nose and cheeks ever so slightly, the brown curls that trailed from their place tucked behind her ears down her chest and settled just above her breasts, those big blue eyes; heavily shielded by long dark eyelashes. Her pink lips that were curved up into the smallest smile. Her eyes slowly turned upwards to look at me. I figured she must have felt me staring at her. A slight blush filled her face.

“What?” she queried in a small voice.

“You’re so beautiful,” my mouth betrayed me before my mind could stop it.

“Thanks,” she smiled; her eyes meeting mine.

We sat looking at each other; the time passing slowly. I shared her smile as we fell into our own moment; a bubble that the two of us shared. Her eyes were bright and burring into mine. I felt myself get lost; drowning in the sea that they were. She didn’t break the gaze; instead her stare stayed as strong as mine.
The beep of a car horn was what snapped us out of that bubble. I looked quickly into the rear view mirror; the disgruntled driver behind me ushering me to go. I turned my focus to the semi clear road in front of me. I edged the car forward a little; only halting again after a few feet.

“Nick,” I heard Sam sigh.

I turned to look at her again.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Is this what this weeks going to be?” she looked at her phone in her hands; pressing the button at the top of the device and locking it.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, moments like that,” she looked up. “where we get lost in each other. Awkward smiles, hand holding and flirting. Is that what this weeks going to be?”

“Would it be so bad if it was?” I asked; feeling instantly foolish.

Sam was silent for a moment.

“I wouldn’t call it bad,” she smiled slightly; trailing her eyes slowly upwards before finding mine again. “But, its not necessarily good either.”

“I know,” I agreed. “But Sam, flirting is harmless.”

“Sometimes,” she said. Her voice was unsure.

“It is,” I assured her; resting my hand on the knee that was closest to me. I saw Sam’s eyes flicker to it and I moved it to the steering wheel. I drummed my thumbs impatiently.

“I hope you're right Nick,” she told me.

“I’m going to promise you something right now,” I turned to face her properly. “If anything does happen or almost happens, I will jump in this jeep and go home and I will send Joe in my place. Deal?”

Sam looked up at me.

“You would really do that?” she asked.

“For you, I would do anything,” I answered honestly.

“Alright, deal,” she smiled.

We shared a brief smile before I turned back to the road. Sam did the same; turning to sit facing forward in her seat.

“What do you say we continue our sing-a-long?” Sam asked, picking up her phone and plugging it back into the jack of the stereo.

“I say, bring it on,” I grinned. The traffic begun to move in front of us and I accelerated. We past the culprit of the bad traffic; a truck had broken down in the centre lane of the high way. We passed by slowly. “What are we starting with?”

Sam grinned mischievously before tapping her phone and looking up at me. Burning Up started playing and I gave Sam a look.

“I’m hot!” she yelled in my face.

“You’re cold!” I replied with a grin.

The sing-la-long continued up the highway until I turned off onto a main street that led to the dirt road that took us up to Sam’s dad’s house. Sam stopped the music and slid her phone into her backpack that sat at her feet.

“Can I confess something?” Sam broke the now silence in the car.

“Of course,” I replied.

“I’m really nervous,” she confessed.

“Its normal,” I assured her. “You haven’t seen your dad in years.”

“True,” she laughed nervously.

“It’s alright,” I smiled. “Whatever happens; good or bad. I’ll be there.”

“What could happen that would be bad?” she turned to me quickly; her eyes wide.

“No no! Nothing!” I sighed. “I'm just saying if anything were to go wrong, I would be there.”

“Oh,” she sat back in her chair.

“Relax Sam,” I said and turned onto the dirt road.

I slowed the car dramatically, negotiating the pot holes carefully and coming to a stop behind a red ute that was in the dirve. It’s bonnet was up and by the looks of things, someone was busying themselves under it. With a reassuring smile, Sam opened the door of her jeep and stepped out; closing the door amost silently behind her. I heard her boots crunch on the gravel.

Sam’s POV

“Um, hello?” I queried; quietly.

The person behind the bonnet stood up properly; his jet black hair falling messily over his eyes. He smiled widely and threw the rag he was holding onto the engine.

“Sammy!” he exclaimed.

I grinned like a fool as I was enveloped into a hug and lifted off the ground; spinning around a few times before being set onto my feet.

“Chris!” I grinned at my older brother. “Man, have you grown up!”

I smiled at my brothers appearance. His hair was messy and sat matted against his face; his fringe hanging over his eyes. He had a slight stubble on his chin and a grin plastered on his face. He wore a red flannelette shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and a black wife beater. His blue Levis were stained with grease and dirt and his black boots were scuffed.

“I could say the same for you,” he replied a smirk plastered on his face.

I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I had completely forgotten about Nick.

“Oh sorry! This is Nick,” I grabbed Nicks wrist and pulled him to my side. “Nick this is Chris; my big brother.”

“It’s ncie to meet you,” Nick smiled politely.

“Likewise,” Chris replied; shaking Nicks outstretched hand.

“Is that my Sam-wich I hear out here?” I gruffer voice came form behind Chris.

I grinned and ran towards the voice.

“Dad!” I exclaimed; jumping into the mans arms.

He held me close; spinning me around similar to how Chris had.

“Sam,” Dad said and set me down on my feet. He smiled at me.

I only noticed now how much Chris looked like my dad. My dad had the same hair style; although his was scattered with greys. His skin showed the same sun weathered tone and the stubble that scattered his chin was identical. Dad wore a blue version of Chris’s shirt, except it was buttoned up. He wore grey/black jeans instead of blue and brown boots on his feet.

“You’ve changed so much,” my dad smiled at me. “All good, of course.”

“Thanks,” I blushed.

“And I take it, that this is Nick?” Dad looked up in the direction of behind me.

I turned slightly; Nick was standing beside Chris looking more pale then ever.

“Yep!” I exclaimed excitedly. “This is Nick.”

“Finally we meet,” Dad stepped forward holding out his hand.

“Yes, sir,” Nick obliged. ‘It’s a pleasure to finally meet you.”

“Likewise,” Dad smiled. “Anyway! Enough with all these formalities, Nick you can call me James.”

“uh, oh, alright,” Nick smiled nervously.

“I was just starting dinner,” Dad explained. “You two hungry? I’m doing a barbecue.”

“Yes,” I nodded excitedly. “I"m starving.”

“We better get some food in her before she wears away, Isn't that right Nick?” Dad slapped Nick on the back.

“Yeah,” Nick laughed along with him. “I know how grouchy this one can get if she’s hungry.”

“Chris, you get the bags and take them into the living room,” Dad ordered. “And put the roof up on that jeep. It looks like rain.”

I heard Chris grumble and mumble some profanities under his breath.

“Hey! There’ll be none of that!” Dad told him sternly.

“I’ll help you Chris,” Nick offered and moved to help him.

“Rain?” I looked at my dad disappointed.

“It’s alright,” dad smiled; draping his arm around my shoulders. “A little rain won't ruin your fun.”

“Good!” I grinned at him and wrapped my arm around his waist.

“Now! Tell me everything! What have you been up to since I last saw you?” Dad asked me.

“Oh gosh,” I started. “Where do I even start?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's an update.
I originally wrote something somewhat different, but i lost it.
So, here's the start of Sam and Nick's week in Houston.
What do you think they're going to get up to?
Comment and tell me what you think of the chapter?
xo