Australia

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty One

Nick’s POV

Dinner was full of chatter. Sam really had started from the beginning when filling her dad in on all she had done in her life. Then again, eleven years is a long time. She had told him about stopping ballet and about the weeks of crying that had followed. She told him about playing soccer and getting her lip pierced and taking it out. She filled him in completely on Tash and all the drama of her high school life. Then she led into her life with my family and I. She told of the emotions from the concert where we met; all of which was new information for me. She shared all the feelings and nerves; the insecurities she felt when she started hanging out with us full time. She had flashed a nervous smile at me when she confessed the passing out. Her dad and brother had laughed when she mentioned it. I had smiled comfortingly at her.

Her dad had filled us in also; explaining that he had built this house from scratch with a few mates from the local pub. Every beam, every bit of concrete and every brick had been placed by hand. I had been impressed that he was able to construct something like this alone.

It was all friendly smiles at the dinner table. I was ecstatic that I had made her smile like that; the type of mile that was rare for her. The type of smile where her eyes lit up brighter than ever and she flashed her pearly whites. The smile where it looked like she glowed. The smile that brought one of my own to my lips. Hearing her laugh, hearing her giggle and watching her whole face light up was the highlight of this trip so far. I had made her so happy. I was proud of myself; proud that I had garnered such a reaction from her.

Sam had sat close to me during dinner; the bench like seats making this easy. There was no more than two inches between us the whole time. I could feel the warmth radiating from her arm onto mine; the warmth of her leg was felt against mine. She shocked me when she rested her hand on my leg during her conversation with her dad; before dessert was served. I had glanced at her briefly; earning only a simple smile in return. I didn’t understand why she was behaving this way. I didn’t understand why she was smiling at me the way she was or touching me the way she had been. She had been the one that said that she hoped nothing would happen during this week and she was already making it difficult to cope. Her smile just made my heart swell and warm greatly. I knew I loved her; nothing was going to stop that.

When her dad had showed us upstairs, he had informed Sam that she would be sleeping in the spare bedroom upstairs and I would be on the couch. I hadn’t protested but Sam had frowned. This had lead to my current position; lying on my back, uncomfortable on the lumpy dark blue lounge. It sat in front of a brick fireplace. I was stuffed. The barbecue and dessert had filled me completely. I had been lying here for what felt like hours; Sam had retired to her room around 11 o’clock. I picked up my phone from its place on the coffee table and checked the time. One am.

I rolled over to face the back of the couch; determined to at least be a little comfortable. It failed. I turned back over to my back and was nearly scared out of my skin.

Sam stood over me with her hands on her hips. I took a deep breath and sat up slightly; dragging the blanket up with me; covering my singlet clad chest. Sam sat on the corner of the coffee table and turned to face me; pulling the over sized shirt she was wearing down to her knees.

“Sam,” I whispered. “What are you doing?”

“I can’t believe dads making you sleep on the couch,” she replied with a frown.

“It’s alright,” I lied. “I don’t mind.”

“Nick, is that couch seriously comfortable?” she asked.

“Well, no but...” I told her honestly.

“But nothing,” she frowned again.

“He probably thinks we’re like, a couple or something,” I told her.

It was logical. If I was her dad I wouldn’t want us sleeping in the same room together either.

“Well, we’re not,” Sam told me bluntly.

I sighed inwardly. Yeah, know. Don’t remind me. Sam stood up and I followed her face with my eyes.

“Come on,” she said; breaking the whisper of the last few minutes. She held out her hand to me.

“What?” I swung my legs off the couch and put my feet on the floor. “Where am I going?”

“Upstairs. My room. My bed, it’s huge,” she told me. She waved her hand at me. “Come on.”

I looked at her hand unsure.

“But Sam,” I said; my unsureness obvious.

“No buts,” Sam told me.

I stood up; taking Sam’s hand in mine. She laced her fingers through mine and tugged on my hand; leading me upstairs to her bedroom. She was right; the bed was huge. She let go of my hand and I closed the door. I watched her as she skipped towards the bed and climbed in; moving to one side. She patted the side of the bed closest to the door and I sighed. Whatever happens in Houston stays in Houston. Remember Nick?

I walked towards the bed and sat down; swinging my legs into it. Sam chucked the blankets over the top of me and I settled myself down onto the pillow; tucking one arm behind my head. Sam held herself up on her elbow. She hovered over me slightly. I looked at her; smiling curiously.

“By the way,” she started. “Thank you Nick.”

“What for?” I turned my head to look at Sam properly.

“Bringing me here; making all this possible,” she smiled.

“You’re welcome,” I answered.

“You know,” Sam sighed. “Joe would never have thought to do something like this.”

“Yes he would’ve,” I told her.

“No,” Sam lay down properly; her head resting on her bent arm. “He makes me happy just being him; being with me. But this; he wouldn’t think to find my dad, Nick.”

“He brought Tash over from Australia to you when you were upset before Halloween,” I turned on to my side so I could face her properly.

“Yeah,” she sighed. “But that got nothing on this Nick. You know how much my dad means to me and how much losing him hurt.”

“Which is why I did it,” I told her. “I figured you’d need some family here in the States.”

“See? You always think of things for me that not even I think of for myself,” she smiled. “You’re amazing. Never change; you got that?”

“I won’t change if you don’t want me to,” I returned her smile.

“Thank you,” she yawned.

“You’re welcome,” I watched her eyes close slowly.

I reached up; brushing stray hairs back off her face and tucking them behind her ear. I smiled at her; sighing contently and closing my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted them to sleep together.
Comments? Please. :)