Australia

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Three

Nick’s POV

It had been hours, literally. It’s not an exaggeration in the slightest. It’s currently 6pm and we’re on our second game of monopoly. When I say we, I mean Sam, Chris and their dad. I was already bankrupt as was James. Truth be told, I had done it on purpose; it was absolute torture. I had become the waiter and the bank; getting chips and drinks when someone wanted them and dealing out the houses and the cash when a chance or community chest asked for it. I looked up at Sam; she was sitting across from me. She had a wide grin on her face and was fanning herself with the large amount of cash she had. I shook my head at her but she was having fun. I couldn’t take that away from her.

“Ha! I own that!” Sam explained. She held out her hand, palm facing up in front of Chris. “That’ll be $140 please.”

“Here,” Chris mumbled and handed over the last of his funds. “Alright I'm bankrupt now.”

“Yes! I win,” Sam grinned happily. She beamed at me and I offered a slow motion applause. “Thanks Nick.”

“Anytime,” I smiled sarcastically.

James stretched.

“Well, what do you lot fancy for dinner?” he asked; leaning forward.

“Anything,” I shrugged.

“Fish and chips,” Sam suggested with a smile.

“That sounds good,” Chris agreed. “I could go for that.”

“That alright with you Nick?” James looked up at me.

“Sounds good,” I nodded.

“Okay, that settled,” James stood up. “Chris and I will go to town and pick up dinner. You two can pack this up and set the table.”

“Done,” Sam stood up as well.

“Chris, lets go,” James walked out of the room and Chris followed.

I felt him look at me with suspicious eyes. I heard him mumble something as he walked out.

“You okay?” Sam asked; smiling her usual smile at me.

“I’m fine,” I returned the smile. “Come on, we better get this packed up. It shouldn’t take them long to get dinner.”

We started packing up monopoly in silence. Sam stacked the money in the corresponding piles and I packed away the property cards and the tokens.

“Nick?” Sam stopped; a pile of hundred dollar bills in her hands. She put them down and leaned on the table; her weight resting on her palms.

“Whats up?” I asked; sealing the zip lock bag that the tokens came out of.

“Why;d you lie to my dad about not feeling anything for me?” she looked up at me; her eyes meeting mine.

I broke the eye contact and inhaled deeply.

“You want to know the truth?” I looked up slowly.

“Of course,” she responded; placing the hundred dollar bills on top of the fifties in the box.

“I told him that because I hoped that we would be able to sleep together in your bed again,” I told her honestly.

She smiled at my comment and cocked her head to the side.

“And why would that be Nicholas?” she smirked.

I bit my lip. Now for the complete truth.

“Well, waking up next to you made me feel, I don’t know, happy,” I felt the blood rush to my face. “I was happy knowing that how happy I made you by bringing you here wasn’t a dream.”

“Oh,” Sam smiled a little bit.

“You have to know Sam, that even if this is only going to be for a week, waking up next to you every day would mean so much to me,” I looked up to her her watching me.

She smiled at me and walked towards me. She stopped in front of me and smiled.

“I’m going to need a constant step ladder to stand on if you keep growing,” she laughed.

“I’m sorry,” I smiled innocently
.
She smiled and stepped up on the bench; making her about 2 heads taller then me. I looked up to her face; a soft smile played on her features; a glint in her eye. The smile faded slightly into, what I thought, was realization. I kept my eyes on her face; my arms by my sides. She lifted her right hand and slowly brought it down to my face; touching my cheek, nose and forehead ever so gently. She moved it more north; dragging her fingers through the tangled mess of my curls. I closed my eyes at the touch. She threaded her way through to the back of my head; her fingers finding the back of my neck. I felt her other hand move up my arm and rest on my shoulder.

“Open your eyes,” she whispered.

I opened them; finding Sam smiling at me. She leaned down; her face drawing closer to mine. I moved my hands finally; placing them on her hips. I watched her eyes close and I closed mine in response. I felt her breath on my face; the salt and vinegar chip scent tickled my nose. Her lips brushed mine ever so slightly.

The home phone ringing made us snap back. Sam pulled away and I dropped my arms back to my sides. I moved towards the phone mounted on the kitchen wall. I picked up the receiver and placed my hand over the mouth piece; handing it to Sam. She took it from me; my skin burning at the only slight connection our hands made. She sat down on the table.

“Hello. Riley residence. This is Sam,” she answered politely.

I stood back from her slightly; not nearly as close as we were only seconds before.

“Oh, alright,” Sam said into the receiver.

“What?” I mouthed.

“You’re saying the roads are blocked my debris from the storm?” Sam said.

“What storm?” I mouthed again.

“We haven’t got a storm here, Dad,” Sam told him.

As if on cue, a distant echo of thunder rolled.

“Oh, right, there ir is,” Sam sighed. “Just caught thunder then.”

I watched Sam’s features twitch into a smirk and she caught my eye.

“Oh, I think we can manage without you Dad,” she smiled. “Oh. Okay. Thanks for letting us know. Take care. Bye.”

“What’s gong on?” I asked; curios.

“Road’s are blocked. There’s a tree down,” Sam explained. “They can’t get back.”

“Oh,” I frowned. “What are we managing without your dad?”

“Dinner,” she told me.

Thunder rolled loudly outside and the house was filled by a flash of lightening. It was then plunged into darkness.

“I’m guessing the powers out,” I stated the obvious. “Did your dad happen to mention where the candles and stuff were?”

“He did actually. Top right hand cupboard.”

I moved to the cupboard and open the door; peering inside. Sure enough there was a container filled with candles.

“Found them,” I told Sam and placed the container on the table. I dug around and found something else that sparked my fancy. “Sam. I have an idea.”

“For what?” she asked.

“Dinner,” I smiled.

I walked back over to Sam.

“Stand up,” I ordered her and she did so; standing back up on the bench. “Arms around my neck.”

She once again, did as she was told. I grabbed the back of her legs and lifted her off her feet. She wrapped her legs around my waist and I felt her arms tense around my neck.

“Don’t worry, sweet pea,” I told her. “I've got you.”

I walked her though to the living room and plonked her down on the lounge.

“What are you doing?” I heard the humor in voice.

“Lighting a fire,” I shrugged.

I wandered over to the fireplace and moved the grill out of the way. I chucked a few of the logs into the small pit. I walked through to the kitchen and grabbed the container of the candles. I pulled out the matches and; once back in the living room lit a match and tossed it into the fire place. A small fire started to burn on the paper in the pit. I lit a few more matches; eventually turning to the gas lighter to set the wooden blocks a light. I looked over at Sam. She sat watching me from the couch smiling. I set up some of the candles on the mantle; a warm orange glow settled over the room. I turned back to Sam and returned her smile.

“Now, for dinner,” I grinned; rubbing my hands together.

An hour later.

“This was a great idea Nick,” Sam smiled at me. “I would never have thought to make smores indoors.”

I laughed and watched as her marshmallow slowly browned in the fire.

“Thanks for the props,” I smiled.

We were sitting on the floor of the living room; one blanket underneath us, another settled over our legs. We had changed into our pajamas after the fire was successfully started. The power was still out; the only light we had was from the candles and the fireplace. I glanced over at Sam; she was smiling into the fire. The flickering embers were reflected in her eyes; the orange of the light making her skin glow.

“It’s burning!” she suddenly exclaimed; excitedly.

“Pull it out!” I told her and she pulled the marshmallow free from the flames.

I held out two crackers and she presented the marshmallow. I stuck on cracker on either side and dragged the marshmallow back off the stick.

“There we go,” I smiled and held it out to her.

“Thank you,” she said; taking it from me. She smiled at me and bit into the smore.

“You’re welcome,” I told her; my eyes not leaving hers.

“This is fun,” Sam told me; her voice exuding happiness.

“Yeah, it is,” I agreed.

Sam held out the smore to me and I took a bite. She smooshed it into my mouth. She burst into laughter. I used my tongue and fingers to try and get as much of the smore into my mouth as possible.

“Hey! I complained; the marshmallow making it hard to talk properly.

“My bad,” Sam grinned; holding up her hands in mock innocence.

I frowned at her.

“I'm sorry,” she pouted.

I had the overwhelming feeling to kiss her. She looked so beautiful in the firelight and the pout bright out the sweet, innocent side. She looked cute. She looked adorable. She looked... perfect.

“You’ve got a little something...” Sam told me; pointing at my face.

I wiped my chin with the back of my hand.

“It’s still there,” Sam laughed.

“You get it,” I whined.

Sam leaned closer to me; using her thumb to smudge off the marshmallow. Her breath was on my face again. I felt it; it was warm and inviting.

She smiled warmly and wiped the marshmallow onto the singlet that I chose to wear to bed.

“Why’d you do that?” I protested; wiping my singlet.

“I don’t know,” Sam shrugged. “I guess, I was just, a little distracted.”

I licked my lips, nervously. Sam smiled again; I smiled back. Usually i was oblivious to flirting but this; tis was obvious. I leaned back against the couch; my arms crossed behind my head. Sam shifted and leaned against me. I moved my arm to around her shoulders. I watched Sam nuzzle into my chest and I lifted my arm off her as she got comfortable. She turned her face and smiled up at me. Her face was innocent and peaceful. The want to kiss her returned. Instead I smiled at her and kissed the top of her head. I wrapped my arm around her tightly and held her close against my body.

“Love you Nick,” Sam whispered.

I stared down at her. What’d she just say? I watched as her eye lids slid closed and she nestled herself closer to me; her arm wrapped around my waist. I moved the blanket up over her shoulder.i looked up; smiling to myself, at the fire. I sighed contently and watched as the fire crackled and random embers flew from log to log.

“I love you too, Sam.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. Talk about sweet and corny?
Anyway, let me know what you thought?
Please. :)