Australia

Chapter One Hundred and Thirty Eight

Nick’s POV

I sat on the bed in the spare room; my legs crossed and my guitar sitting in my lap. My notebook was open in front me on the bed and I had my pencil between my teeth. I strummed the last few chords of the melody that had been in my head for the last few days. I finally had lyrics to go with it. I smiled to myself; knowing that I had the tune and the lyrics down. Could I play it for Sam?

Sam had been out with her Dad all day. They had gone out on a trail with the horses; just the two of them. It left me with Chris; not that he had been talkative at all. We had sat downstairs together in the living room in an awkward silence; neither of us knowing what to say. When Chris got up to get a drink, I had escaped upstairs and that was where I had been all day; sitting on the bed, or the floor or walking back and forth playing the song over and over, oly singing with the lyrics once or twice. I wasn’t too sure if Chris wanted to hear it.

It was crazy how much I was missing Sam. I guess I had just grown accustomed to being with her 24/7. She had been gone for hours; its was dusk outside. The sun was almost down.

“Oh my gosh Nick!” Sam’s blustered voice came bursting through the door. “There is something you have to see!”

“Sam! Calm down,” I laughed.

“Shut up,” she told me. “Come on! Please.”

I grabbed my guitar and stuck my notebook under my arm. I got up; slipping my converses on as I went.

“Let’s go,” I said.

She grabbed my hand and pulled me down the stairs and out the front door. Her grip didn’t falter once. As she pulled, I admired her appearance. Se wore light blue jeans with the new boots she had bought and a bright white blouse. Her hair was in pigtails; the curls being blown back at the pace we were moving. She lead me out into a paddock and up a slight hill. We stopped at the top.

“Isn't it beautiful?” she asked me; her voice full of admiration.

“Wow,” I exclaimed.

I looked out across the horizon; the sun just going down over the mountains making them appear almost purple. The sky was pink and orange fading into a deep blue grey and the sky was littered with the first of the nights stars.

“It’s amazing,” I smiled.

“I just had to show you,” she gushed and turned to face me.

I lay the guitar and notebook on the grass of the hill and took a step closer to her. She snaked her arms around my waist and rested her head high on my chest; her face still point towards the horizon. I wrapped my arms around her also; my chin resting on the top of her head. I smiled at our closeness. After a few minutes of staring at the gorgeous sunset and standing together in a somewhat perfect embrace; Sam spoke.

“So, why’d you bring your guitar?” she asked. She turned her head to look up at me.

I pressed a kiss to her forehead.

“I wrote something,” I smiled at her.

“Can I hear it?” she smiled back at me.

“Of course,” I let go of Sam and knelt on the ground. She followed me down; sitting across from me on he hill. “I’ve had this tune in my head for a few days; but last night the lyrics just came to me.”

“Oh really?” she asked. “What was your inspiration?”

“You’ll see,” I smiled at her.

I flipped the notebook open to the lyrics and lay them in front of her. I settled the guitar in my lap and started strumming the opening notes. I took a breath and started singing.

Oh Houston, please be still tonight
Don't disturb this love of mine
Look how she's so serene
You've gotta help me out


I looked up. Sam wasn’t looking at me; instead her focus was the book I had placed in front of her.

And count the stars to form in lines
And find the words we'll sing in time
I want to keep her dreaming
It's my one wish, I won't forget this

I'm outdated, overrated
Morning seems so far way


Sam looked up and met my eyes. She smiled ever so slightly. I smiled as I sang; singing straight to her.

So I'll sing a melody
And hope to God she's listening
Sleeping softly while I sing
And I'll be your memories
Your lullaby for all the times
Hoping that my voice could get it right


Sam smiled at me; it was wider then before. I smiled with my teeth and she grinned. She started slowly nodding her head to the tune.

If luck is on my side tonight
My clumsy tongue will make it right
And wrists that touch
It isn't much, but it's enough
To form imaginary lines
Forget your scars, we'll forget mine
The hours change so fast
Oh God, please make this last

'Cause I'm outdated, overrated
Morning seems so far way


Sam moved; crawling over so she was sitting beside me on my left, as I played. She leaned over and rested her head on my shoulder.

So I'll sing a melody
And hope to God she's listening
Sleeping softly while I sing
And I'll be your memories
Your lullaby for all the times
Hoping that my voice could get it right
Could get it right


I turned my head to look at her; singing to her again. She looked up and smiled. I met her eyes; the desperation evident in my voice as I sang the bridge.

You could crush me
Please don't crush me
'Cause baby I'm a dreamer for sure
And I won't let you down
I swear this time I mean it

And I'll sing a melody
And hope to God she's listening
Sleeping softly while I sing
And I'll be your memories
Your lullaby for all the times
Hoping that my voice could get it right


“Wow, Nick,” Sam breathed and dropped her gaze. “That was incredible.”

“Thanks,” I smiled; lying my guitar in the grass.

"I, um,wrote it while you were sleeping last night,” I told her.

“I was the inspiration?” she looked up at me. “I figured it was something to do with me sleeping.”

“I’ve had the melody in my head for days,” I admitted. “Literally. But, looking at you and watching you as you slept; the lyrics just came. You’re my little muse Sam.”

She blushed.

“You’re blushing,” I laughed.

“Am not!” she frowned.

“Yes you are!” I grinned at her.

She sighed and lay my head on my shoulder. I lay my head on top of her head. We both looked out into the sunset. The sun had disappeared almost completely behind the mountains; the sky a purple colour almost completely.

“That's the affect you have on me Nicholas Jonas,” Sam confessed. “You make me feel things i've never felt. Feelings that I am absolutely terrified of.”

“Well, I'm here Sam,” I told her. “Always. I promise. And, I swear this time I mean it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another one for you guys.
The song Nick Plays as his own is actually by the punk/rock/pop band Mayday Parade.
you can listen to the original "here".
its called "I Swear This Time I Mean It.
Comments for Janey? :)
Please