Australia

Chapter Fourteen

Joe’s POV

The drive back to the hotel was absolutely silent. I knew Kevin was feeling guilty about shoving me. It wasn’t his fault. We were always shoving each other. It was just this time, I fell. I was freezing. I shivered. Sam’s arms pulled me closer to her; and even though she was wet too, I could feel her body heat against me. It was nice. I hadn’t noticed I had slid down into the chair; enough to allow Sam to rest her chin on top of my head. Nick’s head was resting on his hand, using the window sill to prop his elbow up. Kevin was driving, face sullen. He knew Sam wouldn’t want to drive wet and cold. I’ll give him props for that. Note to self; tell Kevin all is good and give him a big wet, Sydney harbour hug when we get out of the jeep. I felt Sam shift slightly and I slumped more. I didn’t realise I was lying on her. I sat up and cleared my throat. Kevin and Nick both jumped; Sam did as well. She laughed. I laughed then we all laughed. Awkward silences were always amusing. We fell silent again. Kevin turned the final corner and pulled into the undercover parking garage of the hotel. He pulled into one of the spots that had been designated for us. We all piled out of Sam’s jeep. It was then that I noticed she was still holding my hand. I smiled.

“Are we all going to agree not to tell dad?” Nick asked us. We all nodded. Kevin nodded quickly. I noticed Nick look at mine and Sam’s hand before looking away quickly. Was he jealous?

“Hey Kevin,” I let go of Sam’s hand. “Everything’s cool man?” I held out my hand to him. He took it and pulled me into a bro hug. I bear hugged him.

“Dude! You’re all wet!” Kevin said, trying to push my away. I laughed and let go. Taking a step back, I wrapped my arm around Sam’s waist. She looked at me, questioning my motives no doubt. I used my eyes to make her look at Nick, who wasn’t looking at us; he wasn’t looking at anyone. She mouthed “Oh!” to me, before wrapping her arm around me and tucking her hand in my back pocket. I smirked at her.

“We better get upstairs,” Nick said quickly.

“Yeah,” I agreed, still smirking. “I need a shower before I like, get pneumonia or something.”
Kevin lead the way, followed by Sam and I; Nick brought up the rear.

Midnight.

I always got hungry around midnight. I climbed out of bed, pulled a pair of shoes on (dry ones) and slowly and quietly made my way out of the room. Being careful not to wake Nick, I pulled the door closed quietly. I tiptoed passed Sam’s room which was next door to Kevin’s and the elevator. Dad was paying for her to stay the night; we had told him about her dip in the ocean and not mine. She shrugged it off as clumsiness. Dad seemed to believe it. Standing in the elevator, I rocked on my heels to the overly corny music that was playing. The door dinged and opened. I walked towards the cafe area. Usually it was bright and well lit, but at night it was a candle to every table. I opened the cafe door and walked through, finding only one candle still lit. As I got closer, I recognized the back of the persons head that was sitting there; Sam. I smiled to myself before approaching.

“Sam,” I said in a voice just above a whisper. She whipped around, shocked.

“Oh! You scared me, Joe!” she told me before turning back around.

“I didn’t expect to find you down here,” I laughed at her red face.

“I didn’t expect to see you either,” she smiled at me from behind her fringe.

“I don’t know about you, but I'm starving,” I rubbed my stomach to exaggerate my statement.

“I could go for something to eat,” she told me. “I’ve been nursing this coffee for about an hour. It’s pretty much stone cold now.”

“Speaking of cold; how cold was that water?”

“Oh yes! Regretting diving in; not going to lie.”

I expressed mock horror, and she smiled.

“I don’t regret giving you mouth to mouth though,” she smiled at me properly. Was that a wink?

“I didn’t think you would,” I smirked at her.

She laughed nervously.

“Want some French fries or something?” I asked her, standing up.

“The kitchens closed,” she said to me, not moving.

“Not for a Jonas Brother, it’s not,” I winked at her and grabbed her hand; pulling her to her feet.

I pulled her towards the door to the kitchen.

“Excuse me? Is anyone in there?” I whispered into the light.

“Yes,” a large man approached the door. “Oh. Mr. Jonas! What can I do for you?”

“Can we get some French fries?” I asked him. He nodded enthusiastically.

“Of course you can!” he told me.

“Oh! And ice cream,” Sam whispered into my ear; he breath giving me goose bumps.

I told the chef to also include ice cream. He told us to come into the kitchen and set up two chairs in the corner of the kitchen. Before long we had a plate of French fries, ketchup and two sundaes in front of us. We thanked the chef and he left, instructing us to simply lock the door before we left.

“You never seem to sleep when I’m around,” Sam told me.

“True,” I laughed, picking up the sauce bottle and spreading it over my half of the fries. I hadn’t slept the night before, and I had only had about 4 hours before now. We had a concert tonight. “But, it’s worth it.”

“I’m glad,” she smiled at me, dipping a chip into her ice cream and biting it.

“Ew,” I said to her, disgust written on my face.

“Not ew,” she said, dipping the chip back into the sundae and shoving it in my mouth. It wasn’t actually that bad.

“Not bad,” I told her, dipping one of my unsauced chips into my sundae.

“Told you,” she shrugged.

For the next 2 hours, Sam and I talked. We talked about things she showed us today; I picked on her fast driving and asked her if she had any plans for her 18th. She had shaken her head and asked if I had any plans for my 19th. I was impressed that she knew when my birthday was. We talked about our families; I just wanted to know more about her older brother. She told me that he didn’t get along with her step dad and had made the decision to move to the states. I was really starting t get along well with Sam .

“Do you think Nick’s jealous that were friends?” Sam’s voice broke into my thoughts.

“I think he’s jealous that we’re becoming more than that,” I told her unconsciously, playing with my ice cream.

“What?” she said. I looked up and she was looking at me. I then realised what I had said.

“Um, I meant, you know,” I tried, stuttering out my explanation. “We’re becoming like, best friends.”

“Mhmm,” She tilted her head, clearly not believing what I had said.I decided to go out on a limb.

“Um, Sam,” I started. Why was I so nervous? “Do you want to stay with me, I mean, us, on tour through Australia. I mean, you know Australia, we want to get to know Australia. You’d be perfect and you don’t even have to stay with us all the time. Like, you don’t have to sit with me, I mean us, on the plane or anything, you can be by yourself if you want,” this came out all in one big hurry. I looked up to Sam; her eyes were big and she was staring me down.

“Are you asking me to go on tour with you Joe?” she asked. Her voice full of shock and uncertainty. I nodded sheepishly. I'm so pathetic.

“Well,” she started.

“I totally understand if you don’t want to,” I cut her off. “ I mean you hardly know us. It would be strange. Its alright. Just forget I asked.” I went to stand up and she touched my arm. I froze; looking at her.

“Joe. Can you let me answer?” She laughed at me. “I’ll have to ask my mum. but I don’t see why it should be a problem. I mean, I’m finished school and everything. I don’t have anything else to do. Is that okay?”

“No, that's perfectly perfect,” I told her, smiling.