Australia

Chapter One Hundred and Forty Eight

Nick’s POV

I whipped my head around at the sound of Sam’s voice at the steps. She stood; her hands loosely by her sides, her face red and her eyes bloodshot. She looked upset; upset with herself and upset with me.

“What?” Joe whispered.

I could literally see my brothers heart breaking. It was written all over his face and in his body language. His face had fallen, the look of anger replaced by one of complete devastation. His shoulders were slumped; defeated. His face was red too; slowly the colour faded from it as the reality of all this set in. His arms hung dead at his sides; his hands lost inside the sleeves of his hooded sweatshirt. He looked so small, so vulnerable, so lost. I felt my heart plummet to my feet. I had done this; not alone, but I had broken down my own brother, my big brother and my best mate.

Sam remained silent; her eyes shifting between Joe, myself and the floor of the treehouse. I could feel the nerves radiating from her. Is she actually going to come out and confess to Joe that she had fallen for me? Was she going to literally pull him apart at the seems and leave him wrecked. I had seen Joe like this once before; heartbroken, hurt and confused. After Camilla had broken up with him. He blamed himself, he didn’t know what he had done wrong. He lost himself. He wouldn’t eat, he wouldn’t speak, for weeks after. I was the one to help him back up to his feet. I was the one that had helped him find himself again and get back to the lovable, goofy Joe that I had grown up with. But this time,I was a factor in this problem that I just couldn’t solve. If I had left myself out of the equation completely we wouldn’t have an issue. I don't think I can help Joe this time. He wont let me in; not given that I;m part of the problem.

“What?” Joe repeated; his voice louder now.

“It’s true Joe,” Sam whispered.

I heard her voice crack; and tears flowed freely down her face.

“You, and Nick?” he breathed. “Its true? You love him.”

“Yes,” she nodded slowly.

“I can;’t believe this!” Joe shouted; making me jump and look at him. “I can't believe this! Why my brother? Why Nick? Could it have been anybody else? Anyone? David Henrie, Garbo even bloody Zac Efron! That I could handle, but my own brother! My own brother Sam. How could you?”

“Don;t yell at her Joe,” I told him.

“Stay the heck out of this Nick,” he hissed at me. I stepped back against the wall.

Joe took a few steps towards Sam.

“Why? Was it something I did?” Joe demanded from Sam; his voice was growing angrier with each syllable.

Sam shook her head.

“Wasn;t I good enough for you?” he yelled; his voice cracking.

i closed my eyes in an attempt to keep my own tears at bay.

Sam stayed silent.

“I mean, we slept together Sam,” Joe yelled and I cringed. “We had sex. Three times I might add; doesn’t that mean anything to you? That I gave you everything! I fucking love you Sam. But I guess that isn't enough for you.

“Joe i...” Sam whispered; looking up. Her eyes were filled with tears. She pulled her hands inside her cardigan sleeves and wiped her face with them.

“Save it,” Joe sighed. “You know, I thought you were the one Sam. I really did. I’m in love with you too. Well, I thought I was.”

Joe stepped around Sam and she grabbed his forearm in both her hands.

“Joe wait,” Sam sobbed.

He shrugged her off; causing Sam, to loose her balance a bit and fall own. I watched as Joe climbed down the ladder. I looked at Sam; she slowly turned to face me in her position on the floor. I sighed; shaking my head and walking past her; climbing down the ladder after Joe.

I stuffed my hands into the pockets of my jacket and walked after Joe; leaving a few meters in between of us to give him his space. I hoped he would let me in; I hoped I could be the one to help him again. Because; if he didn’t, he really wouldn’t have anybody. I looked up. He was walking quickly; his head down and his hands in his pockets. He quickened his pace to a jog and jumped the side fence with ease. I stopped to let him get over and approached myself; pulling myself up with a lot more difficulty then id like to admit. I cleared the fence and landed on the ground on the other side with a thud. I looked up and found Joe on the other side of the road. He pulled his hands from his pockets as he disappeared into the tree line surrounding the lake.

I smiled slightly; how’d I know he would go there? I walked after him; jogging across the road and waving a thanks to the cars that stopped for me to cross. I stepped into the trees; trying to remain as silent as possible. I stepped over fallen branches and found my way to the clearing. Joe stood on the edge of the lake; throwing pebbles against the slowly defrosting surface.

I heard him sigh and watched as he slid his hands back into his pockets. I stepped up beside Joe; mimicking his position and staring out at the lake.

I remembered the time Sam and I had come here; at first to escape the humidity with a swim then to teach her to ice skate. We had been fine then; sure we were flirty, but we didn’t act on it. Now, we had, and we had destroyed everything. And when I say we, I mean we. It wasn’t just Sam. I should’ve said no. I should’ve been the one to stop her and deal with the awkwardness; but I couldn’t help myself. She’s just, intoxicating.

I stole a glance at Joe when he sighed again. I took a step closer to him and nudged him gently with my elbow.

“I really though she was the one Nick,” he said; sniffling a bit.

“I know,” I nodded slowly.

“But I guess I was wrong,” he sniffled and wiped his eyes and cheeks with the back of his hand.

“You never know Joe,” I shrugged a little. “Things can change.”

“How can I forgive her for this? How can I forgive you for this?” he kicked the dirt at his feet. “I mean, why am I even talking to you right now?”

“Because,” I shrugged. “I may be your brother, who did you wrong. But I’m your best friend too. In this sort of situation you need a friend.”

Joe turned a little and sat down at my feet. I followed him; sitting down beside him. He sighed again. I shoved him a little with my shoulder and he laughed slightly. He shifted and rested his head on my shoulder.

“Thanks man,” Joe told me softly. “Even though, I should hate you right now.”

“You could never hate me,” I replied; smiling.

“You're right," he agreed. "I never could.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright. So its short. I'm sorry. And probably really crap.
But, i promised a few people that i would update.
Comments?
I can handle hate comments for hurting Joe.