Australia

Chapter One Hundred and Forty Nine

Nick’s POV

It felt like Joe and I had been sitting beside the lake for ages. We hadn’t changed our positions or moved since we sat down nor had we said anything. Joe sat close beside me; his head rested on my shoulder gently. I had since put my head on top of is; both of us looking out at the lake. It was almost silent where we were; the breeze causing a slight whistle through the delicate branches of the trees surrounding us. I moved my head; stretching my neck a little. Joe sighed.

“Maybe we should head home,” he suggested.

“Maybe,” I shrugged. “Like, we have been out it for a while.”

“Yeah,” he agreed.

“Do you think you’re ready to go back?” I asked him slowly. “Sam’s probably waiting for you.”

“I have to face her sooner or later I guess,” he shrugged and looked to me. “But, you’ll be there though. You’ve got my back?”

“Of course I do,” I smiled.

‘Then lets go,” he said; standing up.

I followed him up; dusting the dirt of the back of my jeans. Joe stuffed his hands back into the pockets of his jeans and lead the way back through the trees, stepping over sticker when necessary and dodging ones. I paid attention to how he walked so I didn’t fall over and hurt myself. That’s all we needed; an injured one and a heartbroken one.

We reached the tree line; stepping back into familiar territory. i stepped back up beside Joe as he stared longingly at the house. I rested a supportive hand on his shoulder and smiled at him. He inhaled and looked both ways down the street; stepping out onto the road and crossing quickly. I copied his actions, jogging across the road to stay by his side. I lead the way up the foot path and to the doorway.
We both stopped; turning to face each other.

“You ready?” I asked Joe.

“I guess,” he shrugged; uncommitted.

“Come on,” I smiled reassuringly and turned the door knob of the door; pushing it open.

When we stepped through the door, I instantly heard my mothers voice.

“Oh Nick!” she cried, frantically. “I'm so glad Joe found you! We’ve been worried sick.”

She pulled me into a strong hug and I rubbed her back comfortingly; telling her I'm fine. I stepped further into the living room; finding Kevin, dad and Frankie sitting on the lounge.

“You gave us quite a scare, Nicholas,” Dad told me; his voice gruff and angry.

“I'm sorry,” I frowned apologetically. “I just needed time for myself I guess.”

“Thanks for telling us you were disappearing,” Kevin told me sarcastically and I rolled my eyes at him.

“Where’s Sam?” Joe’s voice came from my side.

He had a point. I hadn’t even noticed she wasn't there. I was too busy concentrating on my apolgies to my family.

“We had figured she was still out looking for Nick,” mum explained. “her cars not in the drive.”

“Sam and I, we practically found Nick at the same time,” Joe told her. “She, she should be here.”

I got worried. Where would she be? I glanced at Joe; he wore a similar expression to mine; one of complete concern. I ran from the living room; flying up the stiars. Joe followed me; the rest of my family behind him. I walked quickly to Sam’s room and threw the door open. The scene shocked me.

The room was bare. The furniture was in place but everything else was gone; the posters, the clothing. All that remained were the three collages I had given her for Christmas and the curtains and bed spread. Everything was gone, Sam was gone.

I turned back to my families worried faces; standing side by side at the top of the stairs. I walked slowly from her room.

“it’s empty,” I told my family.

My mum’s hand moved ot her mouth; shock in her eyes. I glanced away form my family; Joe emerging from his room; his fist clenched at hsi side. His face was blank; fringe hanging ihn his eyes. I was scared.

“What is it Joe?” Mum asked softly; stepping closer to him.

Joe took a step backwards and mum looked at him; worried.

“Joe?”

Kevin stepped up beside Joe; mum and dad standing close together; dad woth a hand on mum’s shoulder. Frnakie pushed his way through my parents and stood next to Kevin; his expression confused. Joe stayed silent.

I approached slowly; careful not to scrae him or freak him out in this state he had dfallen into. I put a comforting hand on his shoulder; squeezing it gently.

“Bro?” I said soflty; my voice calm. “What happened?”

He turned his face to me slowly; his eyes meeting mine. His eyes were filled with tears; the hazel shining. I looked down at his hand as Joe slowly opened his fist. There, lying in the middle of his palm,lay Sm’s promise ring. I gasped quietly; completely taken aback by Sam’s actions. I noticed that Joe had his purity ring on again. She must of left it before she went. I slowly looked backed up at Joe; as the tears fell from his eyes, cascading down his cheeks ruthlessly. I pulled him into a hug; rubbing his back comfortingly as he sobbed into my shoulder.

“oh joe,” I whispered. “im here. I’m here.”

“She’s gone Nick,” he whispered. “She’s gone and it’s all my fault.

I froze letting him go and holding him at harms length by the shoulders.

“Listen to me, Joe,” I looked him in the eye. “none of this is your fault alright? Absolutely none of this is your fault. If anything, it’s mine. Tell me, promise me you wont blame your self for this?”

“I promise,” Joe mumbled; wiping his eyes with the backs of his hands.

“Good,” I smiled at him.
“Alright, I;m cutting in here,” Kevin’s voice startled me and I looked up at him.

“Would you care to explain to the rest of use, what the heck you’re talking about?” he asked.

I looked at Joe and he chewed his lip.

“Do you want to tell them?” I asked him.

Joe nodded; slowly, keepig his eyes on me.

“Alright, we’ll start from the beginning,” I said calmly; taking a deep breath. “But you’re going to have to sit down for this. It’s a long story and quite a doozy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
If this sucks, just tell me.
I wish in a rush writing it. i was so tired last night.
Anyway, hit me up with a comment and tell me what you thought.
Please?
:)