Australia

Chapter Seventeen

Sam’s POV

According to the set list the boys had one more song to go, before their final Sydney show was over. They were finishing with “Tonight” which was a true crowd favourite. I was holding my phone above my head for Tash to hear the final concert. Nick was standing at the front of the stage; guitar swung to his side. He addressed the audience.

“My brothers and I would like to say I big thank you to all the fans that have come out to the shows throughout Australia, and the amazing four we have put on right here in Sydney,” Nick spoke to the crowd, causing an outbreak of cheers. I clapped along with the people at the side of stage; their dad was smiling proudly. Joe was smiling as was Kevin. Nick continued.

“I’d like to thank one person in particular. She had the courage to stand up to a reporter who was being disrespectful both to herself, and to the three of us. She had the patience to show us around the city of Sydney, and give Kevin his first Big Mac experience.”

“It was awesome by the way!” Kevin shouted into his microphone. The crowd rippled with laughter.

“She saved my brother’s life; both literally and figuratively. She has the power to light up a room with just her presence,” Nick looked over to me. “She has changed the Jonas family for the better. For that, Sam, we can only thank you.”

I felt tears in my eyes and my heart in my throat.

“We’d like to bring her out,” Joe said, holding out his hand to me from the center of the stage. A tech handed me a microphone and shoved me slightly onto the stage. I had to hang up on Tash; shoving my phone in my back pocket and walking towards the boys.

“Samantha Riley, you are truly something special,” Joe told me, giving me a one armed hug.

“You’re a true friend,” Kevin told me from beside Joe. He smiled.

“You’re a true hero,” Nick smiled at me. I felt one of my tears escape, and I brushed it away.

“We’re going to change up things a little,” Nick turned back to the audience. “I was told by a little bird that our Sam here has a good set of lungs on her.”

I gaped at him.

“Sing with me?” Nick held out his hand. I took it; nodding. Joe back away slightly. I watched him.

“This is your moment,” he mouthed to me. I smiled.

Nick popped his microphone back into the stand.

“This is Before the Storm,” he told the audience and they erupted into cheers. The instrumental started and I closed my eyes.

“Yeah!” Nick sung into the microphone.

I closed my eyes, and to my surprise the lyrics spilled out.

I know this isn’t what I wanted,
never thought it'd come this far,
just thinking back to where we started
and how we lost all that we are.


Nick pulled the mic from the stand and sung to me.

We were young & times were easy,
but I could see it's not the same.
I’m standing here but you don't see me,
I’d give it all for that to change.
And I don’t want to lose her,
I don’t want to let her go.


I broke into the chorus. Joe walked up beside me and started waving his arm above his head. The crowd mimicked his movement; smiling.

I’m standing out in the rain,
i need to know if it’s over,
cause I will leave you alone.


Once again, Nick faced me; singing to me.

Flooded with all this pain,
knowing that I’ll never hold her,
like I did before the storm


We continued singing; harmonizing when necessary.

Nick: With every strike of lightning

Sam: comes a memory that lasts.

Both: Not a word is left unspoken as the thunder starts to crash

Sam: maybe I should give up.

Sam: I’m standing out in the rain,
I need to know if it’s over,
cause I will leave you alone.


Nick: flooded with all this pain,
knowing that I’ll never hold her,
like I did before the storm


Sam: trying to keep the light from going in

Both: and the clouds from ripping out my broken heart.
We always say a heart is not whole without the one who gets you through the storm.


Both: Standing out in the rain, knowing that it's really over- please don't leave me alone
Flooded with all this pain, knowing that I’ll never hold you, like I did before the storm

Sam: Like I did, before, the storm.

The music finished and I looked out into the crowd. They erupted into thunderous applause. Joe came to my side, sliding his hand into mine; Nick did the same on the other hand, it was difficult because I was still holding the microphone. Kevin stepped into the picture on Joe’s other side. I smiled up at Joe. He turned it; mouthing “Bow” to me. The four of us bowed to the audience. I let go of both the boys hands once we stood up and stepped to the side, presenting to boys to the audience. Each held hands and bowed.

“Goodnight Sydney!” Joe called into the audience; the stage fell into darkness shortly after. I felt a hand take mine. Thinking it was Joe I interlace fingers with the person. We walked off stage and into the tunnels underneath.

Once the light hit us, I looked up to see Nick smiling at me. I smiled at him, letting go of his hand. I pulled him into a hug. Tense, he wrapped his arms around me.

“Thank you so much Nick,” I told him into his ear. “What you said; you have no idea how much that means.”

He squeezed me tighter, lifting and spinning me around twice before putting me down.

“Hey!”Kevin approached me, hugging me as well. “That was so awesome dude! I didn’t know you could sing like that.”

“Neither did I,” I blushed. Someone hugged me from behind, resting their chin on my shoulder.

“Hey superstar,” he whispered. “You were amazing.”

“Thanks,” I said. “You guys better stop with the compliments, or I’ll be covered head to toe in a permanent blush.”

“That won’t be easy,” Nick murmured. I saw Joe look at him from the corner of my eye.

“Um,” I cleared my throat. “You owe me dinner.” I interlaced my fingers through Joe’s and pulled him along; to the dressing rooms.

“I’ve got to get changed,” He told me. “I smell like concert.”

“Yeah, same,” I laughed. “You didn’t think I was going to dinner dressed like this did you?”

“You look perfectly fine to me,” he shrugged, before stepping into the dressing room.