Australia

Chapter Twenty

Samantha's POV

I sat on the far side of the limo with my arms crossed. I frowned out the window. Why were all guys like that? They insist on being a gentlemen. I sighed, realising how stupid I had been. I stole a glance at Joe. He was sitting on the other side of the back seat; arm resting on the door frame, forehead resting in his hand. He had his eyes closed. I really had destroyed the night for us. He glanced over at me and caught me looking at him. I instantly looked away, fiddling with the hem on my jacket. I looked at him from the corner of my eye. He was fiddling with a little black box. I turned my head properly. He placed the little black box in the middle of us.

"Happy birthday, by the way," he muttered, before returning to his previous position.

I reluctantly picked up the box, turned it over a couple of times in my hands before opening it. Joe didn't budge. I lifted the lid and placed it in my lap. Moving the small pieces of tissue paper out of the way. The gift made me gasp quietly. Nestled in the box was a necklace; a locket with a small bird carved into the front of it. I pulled it out of the box and found an inscription on the back. "Fly With Me?" I sniffed back threatening tears and turned to Joe. He was looking at me, half smiling nervously.

"It's beautiful," I told him, smiling at him.

"I thought you could fill it with your dreams," he told me, sliding a little closer.

"I'll need a picture of you then," I told her, blushing slightly.

He smiled at me; tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear.

Not too long after, we pulled up at my house. I saw Joe glance at his watch a few times.

"It's alright Joe," I told him. "We're here. It won't be too long till you never see me again."

He got out of the limo first. I let myself out and marched to my front door. Joe followed me in silence. I walked up the front steps and slid the key into the lock. I turned the handle and turned on the living room light.

"SURPRISE!"
♠ ♠ ♠
It's a bit short I know. But overall, I hope you like it.
Comments?
What do you think so far?