Australia

Chapter Twenty One

Nick's POV

Seeing Sam's face was priceless and totally worth all the planning that went into the party. I laughed at her reaction. Her eyes were big and round, her hand was covering her mouth. She was in complete shock.

"What's all this?" her small voice came from behind her hand.

"Happy birthday Sam!" Kevin's voice came from behind me. He pushed passed me and hugged Sam. "It's a surprise party. And it was all that jerk behind you's idea." She turned around and threw herself at Joe. I saw him wrap his arms around her waist and hold her. He mouthed "you're welcome." I assumed he was simply replying to a thank you she had given him.

"Well, come on in!" I wanted the hug to end. "You have presents to open."

She let go of Joe quickly and spun around.

"Presents?" Her voice sounded so excited. I smiled at her and nodded. "Where?"

"Back patio sweetie," Sam's mum approached her and put her arms around her. "Happy birthday baby."

"Mum! There's no time for hugs! I have presents to open." She kicked her shoes off and took off down the hall and out the back. The rest of us followed.

"Nice one man," Kevin slapped Joe on the back, grinning at him. "Did she like your present?"

"I only gave her half of it," Joe told Kevin. I bit my lip. I didn't know what Joe had got Sam.

When the three of us emerged from the back door, Sam was sitting at a table surrounded by half open presents. From where I was standing, I could see clothes, shoes, a desk set, a new ipod and a handbag. Kevin pushed passed, walking up to her.

"This one's from me," he pulled a big present from the table and gave it to her. She excitedly ripped the wrapper off and laughed.

"Car seat covers?" she asked him, grinning.

"They have a special water proof thing on them," Kevin nodded at her returning her grin. "Just in case." He then winked. I smiled to myself. My brother was a goof.

"Thank you all for this," she stood up. "It means a lot. Thank you Joe for the idea, Nick, Kevin and mum for planning..."

"Hey! What about me?" a girl stepped out of the small crowd behind Sam. She had a lip ring through one side of her lip and a stud on the other side; her orange/red hair was sticking up in all directions.

"TASH!" Sam spun around and grabbed the girl, pulling her into a hug. "I've missed you so much."

Kevin and I exchanged glances. So, the infamous "phone girl" has a face. Every concert, no fail, Sam was on the phone to Tash.

"Tash, I want you to meet someone officially," Sam dragged the girl over to me. "Tash; Nick. Nick, Tash."
The girl smiled nervously at me. I put my hand out, and she shook it. I laughed casually. She laughed with me; awkwardness was passed.

"Hey Sam," I turned to Sam who was still standing beside Tash, undoubtedly smiling at Joe.

"Yeah?" she smiled at me.

"Can I give you your present?" I asked. Damn it I was nervous.

"Sure!" she grinned at me. Gosh, she has such a beautiful smile.

"In private?" I added. I felt Joe's eyes on me. I pushed thoughts of him beating me to a bloody pulp out of my head.

"Yes. Okay," Sam smiled again, looping her arm through mine. I lead her down the small path and out to where her jeep was parked. I stopped her. I leant into her jeep and pulled the present out; keeping it out of her line of sight.

"What is it?" she asked impatiently, making me smile.

I pulled it out from behind me; a simple yellow rose; with a red ribbon tied around it. I didn't look at her.

"Oh Nick," I heard her say. I looked up to see her smiling at me.

"Yellow means friendship," I explained. "And that's what you are to me Sam. You're my best friend, and even though I thought I had feelings for you; this put things straight. I love you Sam; with all my might."

"You big softy," Sam said to me, pulling me into a hug. "Its beautiful; thank you."

"You're welcome," I told her, after she let go. I held out the rose to her and she took it smiling at me. "I mean what I said Sam. We can keep in contact yeah? I've never had a really good girl friend before. I mean, a girl that's my friend." I rubbed the back of my neck and cleared mt throat. She leaned in and pressed a kiss to my cheek; causing a blush to spread all over. I laughed nervously.

"Come on, you dork," she grabbed my hand. "Let's get back to the party."

Joe's POV

A rose? He gave her a rose? I turned and leant against the house; resting the back of my head against the bricks. Maybe I shouldn't have watched him give Sam her gift. My blood was boiling, my palms were sweating. He wasn't going to hear the end of this.