Australia

Chapter Twenty Three

Joe's POV

I glanced at my watch. It was fast approaching 2am. Our flight was at 12 tomorrow afternoon. There wasn't many people left at the party. I looked around. Tash was sitting with Kevin. She was talking about whether her lip piercings hurt. I hope Kevin wasn't considering one. I don't think Danielle would like that. Sam's mum was cleaning up the paper plates and cups as well as the soggy wrapping paper from the table in the patio. A few kids were still scattered around talking. I then saw Sam and Nick. They were singing some sort of party track from the karaoke machine. They looked so, friendly. She seemed to have recovered from the fire and the fall earlier. I'm glad she had because I know I hadn't. I had pretty much ruined her birthday for her. As the song finished with a Sam solo I stood up. I put my arm around Nick's shoulders.

"Can I steal her for a minute?" I asked him.

"Of course," Nick told me, hanging up the microphone on the side of the machine. He took Sam's from her.

"Thank you," I half smiled at him and let go, moving my arm to Sam's waist. I led her away, through her lounge room and out to the front porch.

"Sit," I told her. "Please."

She complied; sitting on their bench and I sat beside her. She put her hand on my knee and I looked at it.

"What's wrong Joe?" her voice asked me. I could hear the worry in it.

"I ruined your birthday," I told her, sighing.

"How?"

"I set fire to your patio, I made you fall and hurt your elbows and stupidly, I got mad at Nick for giving you that rose," I pointed to her jacket, where the rose was thread through a button hole.

"A yellow rose signifies frienship," she told me.

I rubbed the back of my neck. I was an idiot.

"I'm sorry," I looked up at her from my hunched position. She was smirking at me.

"You're so paranoid, Joseph Jonas," she shook her head.

"I know it's not your birthday anymore, but I have one more present for you," I sat up properly and turned myself to look at her properly.

"Really?" her eyes lit up.

"Yeah," I leaned down and pulled a package from beneath the bench. I presented it to her. She excitedly opened the package. She smiled. Inside was a diary; purple velvet with a silver buckle.

"It's so pretty," she smiled at me. "Thank you."

She tried to open it unsuccessfully; she looked at me.

"I was inspired by the Princess Diaries," I smiled at her. "The lockets the key. Open it."

She reached up and unclasped the locket from her neck and popped it into the lock. She opened the front page and found the envelope I had put in there.

"What's this?" she looked at me increduously, showing me the envelope.

"I already asked your mum."

She looked at me again and opened the envelope. She pulled out its contents.

"A plain ticket and boarding pass?"

"To Texas," I told her. Seriously, I had never been more nervous in my life.

"What?" she just stared at me, eyes wide.

"Fly with me?" I finally said, quietly.

"Are you inviting me to America with you Joe?" her mouth was gaping wide.

"Yes," I half smiled at her.

I was then smothered into a hug.

"I can't believe it," I heard her whisper in my ear. "But, why?"

"I've really started to like you, Sam. I mean, like like," I chewed my bottom lip again. I looked up at her. She was smiling her beautiful smile at me.

"So is that a yes?" I asked her.

"What do you think?" she said leaning in and pressing her lips to mine. I felt my heart in my throat. I was so happy in that moment. I kissed Sam back. After a few moments we both pulled away, smiling. I held my hand out and she took it, interlacing her fingers through mine again.

"I guess I'm going to America," she squeezed my hand, looking at me with a smile.

"I guess so," I smiled back at her. This is definitely a good start to a very big adventure.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sam's going to the US. =)