Australia

Chapter Twenty Seven

Nick’s POV

I was glad to be off the plane. Walking down the gang plank surrounded my family and Sam. It’s hard to believe I didn’t even notice Big Rob sitting in front of me in the plane. But he had been. He was leading the way. Mum and dad were walking behind Rob; Kevin and Frankie were talking behind them; walking quickly to keep up. Sam and Joe were walking in front of me, holding hand and as usual I was bringing up the rear. I was always bringing up the rear. I sighed. I saw the light of the airport at the end of the tunnel. Joe and Sam let go of each other with a smile; Joe sped up to walk with Kevin and Frank. Sam slowed down and we emerged from the tunnel together.

“I don’t know about you,” her voice came from my left. “But I’m glad to be off that plane.”

“Yeah, same,” I answered her plainly. “It wasn’t a very riveting flight.”

“No, it wasn’t,” she looked down, watching her feet as we walked. “I don’t know if you heard, but Joe and I are official.”

I looked at her with a smile. Her eyes were bright and she was grinning from ear to ear. I decided to play along.

“No, I didn’t,” I told her. “That’s fantastic, Sam.” I smiled, and gave her a one armed hug. She smiled up at me.

“Thanks Nicky,” she smiled at me and looped her arm through mine.

We all walked over the bag conveyor and grabbed our luggage. Meeting in a group; I recognised a young woman holding a sign that read “Jonas Party.” Kevin approached the woman and enveloped her in a hug.

“I missed you, Danielle,” I heard him say as we approached. He gave her a kiss on the forehead and held her hand.

“I missed you too,” she smiled at him.

I was always overwhelmed with pride seeing my brother and Danielle together. He had found himself a real keeper. I loved seeing them together. It gave me that warm fuzzy feeling. I smiled at them.

“How are you?” Joe gave her a quick hug.

“I'm better now that you’re all back home,” she smiled at us all.

“Oh, and you must be Samantha,” Danielle smiled at Sam who nervously smiled back. “Kevin here has told me about you.”

Danielle let go of Kevin and put her arm around Sam’s shoulders. I saw Sam tense.

“Us Jonas girls have to stick together,” she added with a warm smile. I saw Sam relax a bit. “Come on, the short bus is waiting.”

Travelling in a packed short bus was uncomfortable. The suitcases were piled on the back seat and the passengers all squished in the front. The laughter erupted when Joe slid off his chair and landed on his butt. That was the single most entertaining thing of the day so far; although, Joe wasn’t amused that his family and new girlfriend were laughing at him. It resulted in him chucking a bit of a tantrum which Sam quickly fixed with a kiss on the cheek. The rest of the drive was uneventful and boring. Relief came at the final turn when I could see the house. I smiled at the thought of home. Thank goodness.

Pulling into the drive away, the door was slid open and we all piled out; stretching and groaning in appreciation for freedom. Danielle was puling Kevin and Joe towards the front door. We all followed; Sam quietly in the back.

Joe pushed the door open and a wall of applause hit us. We smiled appreciatively at our family who were crowded in the living room.

“You’re a sweet heart,” Kevin hugged Danielle.
We all walked in smiling; giving hugs to everybody and introducing Sam to those who didn’t know her; which was just about everyone. Joe and I practically dove on the food tables lined up against the wall in the dining area. I hadn’t noticed how hungry I was till the smell of Danielle’s cooking wafted to me.

As the day and the party wore on, the food was all consumed, laughter filled the house. It was awesome seeing everyone getting along with Sam; especially Danielle who wouldn’t leave her alone. When our grandfather clock told us it was 11pm, the house was nearly empty. Everyone had slowly trickled away; leaving just a few strays as well as the immediate family. Sam was sitting on the lounge with Joe; they were flirting incredibly obviously which is fair given they are actually a couple.

“I better get you home,” Kevin’s voiced filled the silence that the house was now in. He stood, taking Danielle’s hand in his. “Mum. Do you want me to give Sam a lift too?”

“A lift where?” Mum stepped out of the kitchen. “Sam’s staying with us.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not a big fan of this chapter.
But, it sets everything up for the future.