Australia

Chapter Twenty Nine

Nick’s POV

Even though it was late, the night sky was still providing light; the stars were bright enough to allow me to see the dew drops forming on the grass. It was good to be home; I’m not going to lie. But having the girl I was slowly falling for in the same house as me was putting a red flag up for me. I was sitting on Frankie's swing in the back yard; I remember Kevin and Dad building the full wooden playground a few years back. The swing set had become helpful over the years in letting my mind roam free; the tree house; a perfect location for me to sit and write songs.

I looked up at the house; the backyard looked into Sam’s room. I could see her back, as well as Joe sitting on her bed. I wonder what they were talking about. Sam got up and walked out of view, Joe following her a few moments later. I looked down and scuffed my feet in the dirt at the base of the swing. I really had no chance. I looked back up at Sam’s window. She was back, sitting on what I guessed was her bed; looking out the window. She must have seen me; she waved down at me. I waved back half heartedly. I didn’t bother smiling; she wouldn’t have seen it anyway. She then vanished again; the light disappeared from her room. I guessed she had gone to sleep. I pushed off from the ground gently, causing me to swing back and forth. I stopped myself when I heard the screen door close.

“Hey,” the person greeted me, walking over.

“Hey,” I smiled at them, realising it was Sam.

She was dressed down for bed; her baggy black shorts and white tank top would be more comfortable then her jeans and t-shirt from earlier today. Her hair was in pigtails that curled their way down her front.

“What’re you doing out here all by yourself?” she sat down on the swing beside mine and started swinging. I smiled at her and started swinging myself.

“Just thinking,” I answered honestly.

“About what?” she asked me, swinging higher.

“Nothing in particular,” I matched her swings and we got higher and higher.

“Alright then,” she smiled. “I must admit, I haven’t swung on a swing set in a very long time.”

“I only swing when I need to think,” I answered honestly again. “I don’t know why; I guess it just clears my mind; lets me go back to my younger years.”

“I bet I could swing higher then you,” she grinned at me, kicking her legs in and out in an attempt to go higher.

“Oh, I take that bet!” I agreed. “What are the terms?”

“What do you want?” she said, kicking again. I thought for a moment before answering.

“A day to hang out; just the two of us,” I told her.

“Okay,” she agreed. “Done.”

“Now what do you want?” I asked her, attempting to get higher than her.

“You have to tell me what you were really thinking about just now before I interrupted,” she told me; matching my swings again.

“Okay,” I said after a moment. “Done.”

“Good,” I heard amusement in her voice. “Why don’t we change up the competition? Whoever lands furthest from the set after leaping from the chair wins?”

“Agreed,” I liked the sound of that competition better. that way there was a clear winner. “You go first.”

“Why me?” she argued.

“You’re the girl,” that made her to fall silent.

“Fine,” she agreed, she pumped her legs faster. “Together?”

“Alright then,” I nodded. “On the count of three?”

“Okay!”

“One...two..three”

We both flew from the swings, she landed first, losing her balance and falling over. She fell and rolled onto her back, laughing hysterically. I landed just after, losing my balance also and falling down; half on top of her, but slightly above. She excreted an “oof” when I landed on her. I laughed along with her. She stopped laughing first and gazed up at me. I looked down at her; brushing her fringe off her face.

“I win,” I told her, smiling down. She smiled at me; I don’t know what overcame me. I leant down; closing my eyes, bringing my lips to hers.

“Nick,” her voice made me stop.

I froze where I was and opened my eyes. I sighed and got up; sitting back on my feet. I took her hand and pulled her put; she crossed her legs under her. An awkward silence fell upon us.

“I think it’s time you two came inside,” Dad’s voice told us from the back door.

“We’ll be right in Dad,” I told him, my voice monotone. I stood up; offering a hand to Sam.

She took it; I felt a jolt of electricity pass between us. She simply smiled.

“Goodnight Nick,” she leant up kissing me on the cheek. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

I watched her as she jogged her way to the house. I sighed; touching my cheek where her lips had touched it. I huffed and trudged my way to the house. Walking up the stairs I entered mine and Frankie’s room and threw myself on to my bed. I seriously can’t do anything right.