Australia

Chapter Thirty Six

Nick's POV

I opened my eyes slowly; the sun coming through the window hit me like an electric shock. I stirred; taking a moment to remember where I was. I sat up properly. Treehouse. Day. Kiss. Sam.

"Sam?" my voice echoed off the walls of my treehouse.

Sam was nowhere to be seen. I stretched my arms over my head; catching a glimpse of my shirt from yesterday. It was neatly folded beside me. I half smiled. A note was in the pocket of the shirt. I pulled it out; she must've pulled it from one of my old note books. I opened it.

"Thank you Nick. For everything."

Beside the neatly written script was a smack; she had kissed the paper. I smelled it briefly; cherries. I smiled at the note; licking my lips. They tasted like cherries too. I looked at my watch; 9.20am. Wow, I slept late. I got up and clambered down the ladder and walked towards the house. Entering the back door I heard my mums voice first.

"Where have you been, Nicholas?" she sounded flustered. "I was about to call the police."

"I must've fallen asleep in the treehouse," I confessed. "It's not big deal."

"Just like old times, hey Nick," Joe's voice sounded from the lounge. I rounded the corner and found my older brother sitting on the lounge. Sam emerged from the hall leading to the stair case; drying her hair with a towel. She looked up and eyed me. She ran her hand through her hair from the front; pushing her fringe back in the process.

"Morning Nick," she smiled. I nodded in response.

"Yeah, Joe. Just like old times," I answered Joe bitterly.

I watched Sam sit down and peck Joe on the lips. I shook my head and walked to the stairs and took them two at a time. I didn't need to see that early in the morning.

Joe's POV

As I watched my brother make his way up stairs I thought I saw a twinge of guilt in Sam's eyes.

"You alright?" I asked her, and she smiled up at me.

"Yeah," she nodded. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"You just looked guilty when Nick walked passed that's all," I answered her.

"I just think Nick feels like I used him yesterday, that's all," she looked down, breaking eye contact with me.

"What do you mean, used him?" I didn't like the sound of that. I heard the shower turn on upstairs.

"No. Nothing like that," she chewed her lip. "I just, hung out with him all day yesterday. I can guarantee him walking in here seeing us like this would make him feel like I've just moved on. You get what I mean?"

"Yes, of course," I smiled at her, wrapping my arm around her shoulders and pulling her close. "Maybe you just need to talk to him. I know you two are good friends. And he knows we're a couple; he should be okay."

"You're right, Joe," she nuzzled her head into my chest and took a deep breath. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, Sweet Pea," I smiled, kissing the top of her head. I heard the shower turn off. "Well, he's finished in the shower. Why don't you go talk to him now?"

I watched as she leaned away from me and looked up the stairs. She nodded.

"Good idea," she got up and kissed me before making her way up the stairs. I secretly hoped that Nick and Sam would be alright; those two were just natural friends. I smiled to myself, before getting up.

"So mum, what's for breakfast?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
Please?
Tell me your views.