Australia

Chapter Thirty Nine

Nick's POV

We always dressed semi-nice for the karaoke dinners. Even though it was a karaoke bar type thing, it was still a nice restuarant. I was in the bathroom; fixing up my hair when Kevin walked in.

"Hey little bro!" he tussled my hair and I glared at him.

"Thanks man," I attempted to fix what he had destroyed.

"You're welcome," Kevin grinned at me sarcastically.

"So, where's Joe?" I asked our older brother, who was patted cologne onto; what I guessed was a freshly shaved jaw line. "I haven't seen him all day."

"I saw him leave with Sam hours ago," Kevin smiled at himself in the mirror before turning to look at me; leaning one hand on the basin. "How's things with you and Sam by the way?"

"Me and Sam are just friends," I told Kevin; while adjusting the colour on the dress shirt I was wearing. I rolled up my sleeves expertly.

"That's not what I asked," Kevin patted me on the back before leaving the bathroom.

I leaned on the basin with both hands and looked at my reflection.

"Who are you?" I said allowed.

"Who's who son?" I turned to see Dad looking at me.

"Um, noone," I cleared my throat. "Where's Joe?"

"He called your mum about an hour ago," Dad replied. "Told us he and Sam would be meeting us there."

Dad moved on and I followed. This was going to be a long night. We all piled in the car and drove to the diner. When we pulled into the carpark, I took note that Joe's car wasn't here yet. I glanced at the clock on the dashboard; 18.50. We always had dinner at 7 on Saturday nights. It was mum's way of keeping us all grounded. I personally enjoyed it. There was always a competition later on at night; around 10pm. We always stayed for that; and I won almost everytime.

"We may as well wait for them inside," Dad told us. "It'll be cooler in there."

Dad was right; the humidity was awful. We all wandered in; asked for a table for 7 and took a seat.

"Oh, there's Joe," Mum smiled in the direction of the door.

Joe looked different. He was wearing a grey suit; sleeves rolled up. But he had got his hair cut. He still had his fringy thing; but the back was shorter. He had loved it longer; so did the girls when we did Camp Rock. My eyes shifted from Joe to the girl beside him. He was helping her out of a black coat. She turned and looked over the diner. If possible, my eyes would've popped out of my head. Her hair was shorter too; cut just below her shoulders. She had a fringe; straight across her forehead. She looked so different. Her dress was white; to the knee and strapless. It was simple and flowly. She looked beautiful, but so different. Her hair looked darker; but it might just be the lights. Her white headband really stood out. They held hands and approached us.

"Sam honey," Mum embraced her in a hug. "You look beautiful." She touched Sam's hair.

"And you my son, look so handsome," she looked at Joe; resting her hand on his face.

"Thanks," they said in unison.

"So, who wants drinks?" Sam smiled at us all, tucking her new shorter hair behind her ear. We all raised our hands.

"I'll help you," I offered, jumping to my feet and following Sam to the bar. Of course we were only allowed to buy soft drinks; but I felt helpful. We got to the bar and and ordered two jugs of diet coke.

"Wow," I smiled at her. "You look so different."

"Thanks," she half smiled at me.

"Why the change?"

"I thought, if I change the things you like about me, it would be easier for you to get over me," she shrugged; adjusting her head band.

"You didn't have to do this for me," I told her.

"Its not all for you," she crossed her arms, sternly. "Not everythings about you."

I looked at as she smiled curtly.

"I know," I looked down.

"Maybe you should let your true colours shine through," she mde me look at her before crossing her arms again. "You haven't been yourself since I arrived. Joe and I were talking about that today. He doesn't know what happened, or our adventures yesterday."

"You were talking about me?" I looked at her increduously.

"He's only worried, Nick," she told me. "He cares about you. So do I."

She picked up the tray with the jugs of coke and carried them over to the table. I watched her as she walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?
Please?
What do you guys think of Sam's new look?