Australia

Chapter Forty

Sam's POV

After a delicious steak dinner, and about a gallon of diet coke, laughter was definitely not what the doctor ordered. But that's all the karaoke singers gave us. It was people of all ages that got up. An older couple got up and gave their best impression of Ebony and Ivory. It was cringe worthy but we gave them a round of applause. Denise and Paul got up on stage and sang "Don't Go Breaking My Heart." The boys and stood up and applauded them as they bowed. Kevin and Joe followed their parents with the hilarious "Sisters, are doin it for themselves." The place was in hysterics; they even used high pitch girly voices. Even Nick cracked a smile when he watched his brothers make fools of themselves. A little boy took the stage and sang "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gee's complete with the disco moves. A few older ladies took the stage and danced around; trying to sing "It's Raining Men" and I pulled Nick on stage with me to sing "Livin' On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi. When we bowed out, the owner took the stage, announcing that the competition would be starting. Nick seemed to sit up straighter.

The competition started with the older couple duo; crooning Total Eclipse of the Heart. I watched as the teenagers cringed when the high notes were attempted. Joe and Kevin go up together again and tried to sing "Livin' La Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin. I watched as the crowd laughed at them and with them; they couldn't even finish the song.
Nick got up next and stood behind the microphone.

"I know this song is sung by a duo usually," he told the audience. "But, I don't have a partner. This is Alone."

I watched him close his eyes as the beat started. He licked his lips and started singing.

I hear the ticking of the clock
I'm lying here the room's pitch dark
I wonder where you are tonight
No answer on the telephone
And the night goes by so very slow
Oh I hope that it won't end though
Alone


He opened his eyes and sang into the audience.

Till now I always got by on my own
I never really cared until I met you
And now it chills me to the bone
How do I get you alone
How do I get you alone


I knew the song that he was singing: I was tempted to stand up and sing with him. But a girl on the other side of the room beat me to it.

You don't know how long I have wanted
to touch your lips and hold you tight, oh
You don't know how long I have waited
and I was going to tell you tonight
But the secret is still my own
and my love for you is still unknown
Alone


I recognised the girl. It was Demi Lovato. I looked at Joe as he grinned at his brother and best friend. I looked back to the stage; Nick was grinning; Demi at his side. They sang together.

Till now I always got by on my own
I never really cared until I met you
And now it chills me to the bone
How do I get you alone
How do I get you alone
How do I get you alone
How do I get you alone
Alone , alone


They exited the stage to a standing ovation. I stood up with the crowd. It was my turn; I hadn't planned to sing. But after that, I had to. I walked the steps up to stage as Nick and Demi stepped down. I looked at Nick as Demi hugged Joe. His eyes were still with sadness; I wanted to see the light there again.

"Um, hi," I said nervously into the microphone. I cleared my throat and took a seat on the stool the owner had pulled out. "This songs for a person I thought I knew. Turns out, he's a lot different than I thought."

The slow instrumental started; I kepy my eyes fixed on Nick.

You with the sad eyes
don't be discouraged
oh I realize it's hard to take courage
in a world full of people you can lose sight of it all
and the darkness inside you can make you fell so small


I bit my lip and took a deep breath.

But I see your true colors shining through
I see your true colors and that's why I love you
so don't be afraid to let them show
your true colors
true colors are beautiful
like a rainbow.

Show me a smile then
don't be unhappy, can't remember
when I last saw you laughing
if this world makes you crazy
and you've taken all you can bear
you call me up
because you know I'll be there

And I'll see your true colors
shining through
I see your true colors
and that's why I love you
so don't be afraid to let them show
your true colors
true colors are beautiful
like a rainbow


To my surprise, the people in the room were all upstanding. The applause was thunderous. I smiled into the audience, feeling a blush pass over me. This feeling was great.

Nick's POV

I brushed my hand over my cheek before anyone saw the tears Sam had caused me to shed. I looked up at her; shaking my head gently. She stepped down off the stage; Joe was first to her, pulling her into a hug; followed by Demi, who I was very surprised to see and the rest of my family. She came up to me last.

"What'd you think?" she smiled up at me.

"I think, you may be able to change your physical appearance," I ran my hand from her shoulder down her arm and held her hand gently. I leaned closer to her so only she could hear. "But the sparkle in your eye; that sparkle I love so much; it will never fade."

I let go of her hand and stepped back: telling my family that I would see them at home. I sighed as I walked out the door; not looking back.

Sam's POV

As meaningful as what Nick said was, I had got what I wanted. The light was back in his eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
She got her wish.
Leave me comments.
What do you think so far?
I'm trying my best to make this story awesome.