Australia

Chapter Forty One

Joe's POV

I watched Nick walk out of the diner before going up to Sam. She had a smile on her face which confused me.

"What was that all about?" I asked her; tucking loose hairs behind her ear.

"The lights back," she grinned up at me.

"What light?"

"The light in Nicks eyes," she told me, still smiling. "I brought it back."

I smiled down at her; I was glad her and Nick were alright.

"Maybe I should walk with him," I said to Sam who was still watching me.

"I think he'd like that," she smiled at me. "You haven't really spent much time together since I appeared."

"Yeah," Demi's voice came from behind me. She smiled at me and that at Sam. "And I'll take care of Miss Sammy here."

"See," Sam grinned at me. "I'll be fine. Go."

I gave her a swift kiss on the lips before leaving the diner; telling my parents I was going to walk with Nick. I walked out into the darkness; Nick wasn't that far ahead of me.

"Hey Nick!" I hollered at him. "Wait up."

Nick's POV

Oh great; what does he want? I slowed my pace to allow Joe to catch up. I heard his foot steps approach me at an increased speed; then they slowed. He put a hand on my shoulder. I slowed to nearly a stop.

"Do you mind if I walk with you?" Joe asked.

"No, it's alright," I told him.

We walked in silence for a block; both of us had our hands in our pockets, walking in unison. Joe tried to change his foot steps so that they were different to mine. He failed a few times. I watched his feet when he finally succeeded. I changed mine to match his; laughing when he groaned.

"What's so funny?" he muttered.

"You," I told him, still laughing. "It took you so long to change your pace."

"Shh!" he said, trying not to laugh. He failed at that too. We walked along laughing together. It felt like forever since I had laughed with Joe.

"So, um, wass Sam alright with you walking with me?" I bit my lip.

"Of course," he stopped laughing. "Why shouldn't she be?"

"It's just you spent all day with her today," I shrugged. "I thought she'd want you to herself."

"Dude," Joe put his arm out in front of me; I collided with his arm, but it successively stopped me in my tracks. "No matter what happens with me and Sam; or any other girl for that matter, I'll always have time for my little brother. You got that?"

I turned to look at Joe. In the streetlights I could read the sincerity all over his face. He was being serious.

"Yeah, I know," I nodded at him.

"Bros before Hoes always," he grinned at me, making me laugh.

"That's so corny, Joe," I punched him on his shoulder; continuing to walk.

"Its true though," he told me; walking with me.

"I know," I watched my feet as I walked.

"Girls come and go," he told me. "Family's forever."

I smiled at Joe's words. What had come over him? He hadn't been like this for a long time.

"I love you Nick," I heard him say. I looked at him; we walked up our front stairs and stopped on the porch. The car was already in the driveway. "You know that right?"

"Of course," I grinned at him. "I love you too, you big mush ball."

He grinned at me before pulling me into a hug. I embraced him back. This was nice.

"Shall we go inside?" Joe asked; pulling out of the hug. I nodded to him as he opened the door. We walked inside; Demi and Sam sat on the lounge talking; Mum and dad must've already headed to bed. Joe stopped me; looking at me closely.

"She's right you know?" he told me; tilting his head. I raised my eyebrow at him. "The light is back in your eyes." He smiled at me before turning around and plopping himself between Demi and Sam. I walked passed the lounge; Sam smiled up at me. I thought for a moment before smiling back at her. I ascended the stairs.