Australia

Chapter Forty Six

Joe's POV

I glanced down at the ever growing pile of discarded dressed that was situated beside me. I can't even remember how many she had tried on. She didn't even show half of them to me. At first Sam had grabbed 5 dresses to take into the dressing room with her. I meanwhile, sat on a little bench outside the dressing rooms; meant for fathers, brothers or boyfriends that were supposed to nod politely and tell the girl or woman in the room that every dress looked positively lovely. She started off showing me everyone, but apparently I looked bored. I wonder why. I rolled my eyes at my own thought.

First Sam had tried on a lime green one, but she thought it would make people believe we were a couple really easily because we were both in green. That dress is probably at the bottom of the pile on my left. The next dress was a black knee length one with the skinny straps. That one went in the maybe pile to my right. Then there was an orange one, pink one, light blue one, three more blacks and a deep blue. They had all gone in the discard pile.

At the moment she was trying on a longer dress. I believe its gray/silver. I didn't like it. Sam stepped out of the dressing room.

"Yes or no?" she asked me, turning around in place.

I tilted my head before shaking it. I heard her groan. She grabbed some of the dress and shuffled over to me; plonking herself down on my lap.

"This is hopeless," she sighed. I didn't want to agree with her, but it was true. We'd been here for hours.

"Its not hopeless," I assured her; rubbing her back in circles. The dress she was wearing exposed her whole back. "How many do you have left in there?"

"Two," she rubbed her nose and looked at me.

Her hair was in a ponytail but because of the constant on/off of dressed, it was really loose and bits were falling out everywhere. She looked adorable.

"So, one of those dressed are the perfect one," I kissed her shoulder. "Off you go."

She sighed again before standing up and shuffling her way back to the dress room. I heard a zipper, some grumbling and then the dress was thrown over the top of the door. I stood up and walked over to grab it; adding it to the discarded pile.

"Hm," I heard Sam say quietly.

I approached the door of the dressing room again.

"What is it?" I asked her; ear pressed against the door.

"I, I think I like this one," she told me. I thought I heard relief in her voice. "But its strapless."

"Oh," I told the door. "Is that a bad thing?"

"I can't zip it myself," she told me and I heard the door unlock. It opened slightly and her head popped out; she looked around before opening the door completely. Her hand was pressed to the top of the dress; holding it in place over her bra.

"Can you?" she turned around and I took a step closer. I held the two tops of the dress together and slid the zipper up easily. I stepped back again. She turned to face me. I like this one. She tugged at the bottom of the dress slightly.

"It's a bit short," she screwed her face up a little bit and looked up at me.

"I like it," I told her, tilting my head, flicking my fringe out of my face in the process.

"Really?" she stepped beside me, pulled the door closed and observed herself in the mirror on the door. I stepped out of the reflection so it would just be her she could see. I watched her. She stood front on first; hands on her hips, undoubtedly trying to find a flaw in her appearance. The only flaw I saw was the socks she was still wearing. She then turned around and looked over her shoulder at her back. The dress sat just below her shoulder blades. I thought it was perfect. She turned around again; hands on hips facing me this time.

"You really like this one?" she chewed her lip; I took a step forward and rested my hands on her shoulders.

"I love this one," I smiled at her.

"Good," she smiled up at me. She was so short when she wasn't wearing any shoes. "Because I love it too."

She turned back to the mirror and smiled at her reflection. I stepped behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist; hugging her from behind, my chin resting on her bare shoulder.

"That's a definite improvement though," she smiled at me in my reflection. I returned the smile and placed a kiss on her neck. I felt her shiver.

"If you're happy with this one, we should pay and get going," I let her go slowly, still smiling. "Its almost dinner time."

"Crap! Its that late already?" she walked back into the changeroom and closed the door.

"Yep," I told her; wondering back over to the bench and picking up Sam's bag.

When I turned back around, Sam was emerging. The dress was a coat hanger and she was back in the t-shirt and shorts from earlier. She had fixed her hair up too.

"We better get going then," she smiled at me again.

We paid for the dress and stepped in to the Texaa sunset. It was still humid as ever. We walked along the main street towards the carpark where my car was.

"Hold up," I stopped Sam. "Where's Nick?"

I had almost forgot about him. I pulled my phone from my pocket and dialed his number. After 3 rings he answered.

"Hello?"

"Hey man, its Joe. Where are you? That was sure as heck a long bathroom break."

"I'm sitting in the cafe across from the parking block. I got hungry."

"Oh, alright well. You want to meet back at the car?" I looked at Sam. Her face slightly askew.

"Yeah. Sounds good. Did Sam get her dress?"

"Yes, she did. It's a pretty nice one too."

"Cool. So I'll meet you at the car?"

"Yep. Meet you there."

"See you then. Bye"

I hung up and put my phone back in my pocket. I looked at Sam as we started walking again.

"You alright?" I asked her, tempted to grab her hand.

"Fine," she smiled at me. "Oh! Look! Shoes!"

"But I told Nick we'd meet him at the car," I whined. Not more shopping.

"I know what pair I want," she assured me; she grabbed my hand and dragged me into the store. "These ones."

She held up a pair of silver high heels and smiled at me. She looked around at the purse section.

"Oh! And this would be perfect with the shoes!" she hurried over and picked up a silver clutch off the shelf.

"It would," I smirked at how much of a girl she was being.

"Shh, you," she told me. "They would be. It completes the outfit. I have jewelery I can wear. Please?"

I looked at her. She was smiling her signature Sam smile. I knew I was beat.

We bought the shoes and purse and practically ran to meet Nick. We walked up the stairs to the first level of the lot. Nick was leaning on the bonnet of my car playing with his phone. I guessed he was texting mum, telling her we're on our way home.

"Hey Nick," Sam grinned and skipped her way over to him. I unlocked the car with the little remote thing.

I saw the colour drain out of my brothers face. I don't think Sam noticed. She pulled out her new shoes and bag and showed them to Nick.

"You're such a girl," he shook his head at her; half smiling. He walked away from her and climbed into the back seat of the car.

I exchanged a glance with Sam. Her mood seemed unchanged by Nick. I shrugged and climbed into the car too; starting it and pointing towards home.