Australia

Chapter Forty Seven

Nick's POV

The next couple of weeks were spent preparing for the Teen Choice Awards. It was a constant throng of phone calls, emails and, would you believe it, faxes from the big bosses. Hollywood Records had contacted us a heap of times to make sure we were preparing. Apparently, this hosting gig was "great publicity" for us. Whereas, Kevin, Joe and I just thought it was going to be fun.

I had to admit I was nervous. We were performing the opener and closer of the awards as well as hosting. We also had these dare things to do; that's what I was nervous about. Sam was going as Joe's unofficial date. I just wonder what she's going to do while we're constantly back stage.

Given that the awards were in California, it meant packing. I hated packing. It always took so much effort. The constant giggling next door wasn't making the job easier either.

"Joe! Stop it! I'm trying to pack!"

I heard Sam's half giggle, half squeal. I rolled my eyes. Joe was supposed to be 'helping' her. Seeing as it was Joe's birthday a few days after the awards, Mum and Dad decided we were best off celebrating it in California before coming home. I thought it was a good idea; not that I knew what we were actually doing.

"If you're not going to help, can you get?"

I heard Sam again. She wasn't laughing as much this time. I heard muffled talking, then her bedroom door opening. Joe's head popped around my door frame.

"Kicked you out, did she?" I smirked at Joe; tossing a couple of t-shirts into my suitcase.

"Yep," Joe nodded; he walked in and plopped down beside my open case. "Do you need any help?"

I looked at my brother with a cocked eye brow.

"What?!" Joe tilted his head at me. "I don't think I'll be tempted to tickle you, Nick."

"You can grab me some jeans," I rubbed the back of my neck. "Black ones."

Joe got up and wandered over to my drawers. He pulled out 3 pairs of jeans and chucked them onto the top of the pile in the case. He then moved and sat back down on my bed.

"Anything else?" Joe asked me.

"Nope, that's everything," I zipped up my suitcase and lifted it onto the floor at the end of my bed. I sat down next to my brother.

"You alright bro?" Joe leaned forward, resting his forearms on his thighs; looking at me.

"Yep," I lied. "Just a little nervous I guess. This is a new experience for us."

"Yeah," Joe nervously laughed. "I'm pretty scared too."

"Question though," I said; Joe angled towards me more.

"Shoot," he tilted his head.

"What happens with Sam?" I asked quickly.

"How do you mean?" Joe sat up.

"Like, when we're backstage and stuff. She can't be with us, I mean, you all night," I mimicked Joe's position; tilting my head the same way he did.

"I don't know," Joe's expression grew confused. "I didn't think about it."

"Why not?" I was taken aback by his confession. "I mean, she's you're girlfriend. You say you really like her."

"I do," Joe edged away from me slightly. "You know I do."

"I thought I did," I crossed my arms across me chest, standing up. "But, you didn't even consider what was going to happen to her when we weren't there."

"I've had other things on my mind." Joe stood up as well.

"More important than the well being of your girlfriend?" I mused.

"What's gotten into you, Nick?" he crossed his arms like I did.

"Nothing," I looked at him. "Its just strange that you're not being very considerate."

"And you have been?"

"Actually, yes I have. I was the one that was thinking about where she will be and what she'll be doing," I shook my head at my brother.

Joe's POV

What was Nick saying? That I didn't care about Sam?

"Just because I hadn't thought about it, doesn't mean I don't care about her," I told my brother.

"I didn't say you don't care about her, Joe."

"It's what you're implying."

"I'm not implying anything."

"Yes you are. You're saying that you care more about Sam than I do."

"Maybe its true then. I am the smart one."

"Why are you being so arrogant? Jesus Christ, Nick. If you care so freaking much, maybe you should be Sam's boyfriend then."

Nick's eyes snapped up at me, at what I said. It was a look of shock. He also thought I was serious.

"You're kidding right?" Nick took a step back from me.

"Yes, you fool!"

Nick face drooped. He liked Sam? He actually likes her.

"Nick. I've never asked you before now because I never thought that it was serious but," I took a breath to calm down; looking at the floor.

"But what?" I looked up to see Nick watching me.

"Do you like Sam?" I asked him straight out.

"Of course I like Sam," Nick answered a little too quickly. "She's an awesome girl."

"I mean, do you like like her?" I bit my lip nervously at my question.

The expression on Nick's face and the blush that crept over his cheeks gave me my answer. Now it was his turn to look down.

"You do!" I looked at my brother; even though he wasn't looking at me.

"It doesn't matter," Nick told me; breathing quickly and in a quiet tone.

"Damn straight it doesn't matter," I told him.

Nick looked up at me; hurt written all over his face. I took more steps right up close to Nick.

"Because you don't have an inkling of a chance with her," I smirked at him, smug.

Nick didn't look up. I turned on my heel and left my brothers room; walking back to Sam's.
♠ ♠ ♠
Writing with a New Years Hangover.
I hope its alright.