Australia

Chapter Forty Eight

Nicks POV

I watched as Joe stalked his way out of my bedroom; turning back in the direction of Sam's room. My face was blank, my head was pounding, my heart was like a humming bird in my chest, my palms were sweaty and I felt hot tears filling my eyes. My breathing was irregular, shock clouded my thoughts. I was hurting. He had hurt me. Joe had hurt me so much with what he said. But what hurt the most was that what Joe had said was true. I didn't have a chance with Sam; not an inkling like he said. The realisation had hit me like a tonne of bricks. Up until now, I had been living in a fantasy land I had created for myself. I believed I had a chance with Sam; I could be her knight in shining armour and I could be her happily ever after. Its all a fairy tale; a fairy tale that Joe had brought crashing down around me. I sat back down on my bed; sliding my way up to rest against the headboard. I pulled one knee up and rested my elbow against it; cradling my forehead in my palm. I crossed the other leg underneath it. I closed my eyes and let a tear slide down my cheek.

Why had I let myself get so caught up in something that wasn't real? Why was I the one to fall so hard and fast? I dropped my arm down to the bed and rested my head on the wall behind me.

"Hey Nick. Do you have my Police t-shirt?"

Kevins voice filled the silence and pulled me out od my thoughts. I shook my head slowly, hoping he would leave.

"What's wrong?" Kevin said from the doorway.

"Nothing," I answered, monotone.

With my eyes closed, I wasn't sure what Kevin was doing. But when I heard the door close, I knew which side he was on. I opened my eyes to find Kevin making his way over to me. He sat down at the end of my bed, tilting his head in the same way that both Joe and I do.

"Liar," Kevin said to me. "You're a sucky liar, Nick. Especially since, you were born."

I knew this. I was good at hiding my feelings, but I sucked at lying to my brothers. I looked up at Kevin and found such a thoughtful expression on his face that my eyes filled with tears again. I pulled my other knee up to meet the other one and rested my forehead against my knees.

"Hey hey hey," Kevins voice soothed.

I felt the bed dip slightly. I lifted my head; resting my chin on my knees. I watched Kevin move, shove me over slightly and sit beside me. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I angled myself towards him; resting my head on his chest.

"What's going on Nick?" Kevin rubbed my shoulder slowly. As if that was going to help.

I shook my head; tears escaped and nothing short of cascaded down my cheeks. I felt Kevins other arm grab my legs and pull them over his legs. I was still sitting on the bed but it was like I was half on his lap. He then wrapped his other arm around my torso. He used to hold me like this when I was upset when I was younger. It was his big brother hug. I buried my face in Kevins shirt. I couldn't believe it when I started to sob. He pulled me closer: wrapping his arms completely around me. I grabbed fistfuls of his t-shirt and sobbed into his chest. I felt Kevin rubbing my back. He kissed the top of my head and rocked slightly. He used this technique to calm me after bad dreams and still, to this day, after thunder storms.

"Its alright, Nicky," Kevin whispered. "You don't have to tell me. Just know, I'm here for you. I'll always be your big brother; whatever happens."

"Thank you Kev," my voice was muffled.

"Is it something Joe said?" Kevin asked. I pulled away from him and swung my legsback out straight. I looked at him with wide eyes.

"Why? Has he said something?" I asked Kevin. I really didn't want people knowing about whatever it was I felt for Sam.

"No, no. You guys have just been and a little, distant since Sam joined the family," Kevin shrugged, not looking at me.

"I guess we have," I sniffed back my threatening tears.

Kevin grabbed my tissue box and passed me it. I took a few accompanied with a half smile and blew my nose.

"I mean, when it comes to this family, it was like you were born to give Joe a best friend. He was so excited when he was told he was going to be a big brother. It was such a big deal to him. I was like, five, but I remember you being brought home. You were so small and all dressed in blue. Joe was three; toddling around. We had sat on the couch at the old house and mum sat between us holding you. I will always remember the gappy grin on Joe's face when he saw you. Joe had got up on his knees and poked your cheek. It made you cry but you stopped when Joe smiled at you. Did you know Joe was the first person you smiled at?" Kevin was getting sentimental and not wanting to throw him off by speaking, I simply shook my head. I didn't know.

"He was your first word as well." Kevin smiled at the memory. "For weeks, 'Joe' was the only thing you would say. At the park, you would get picked on and Joe would be the one to push the other kid over for, and I quote, 'hurting his little bro.' I always felt like Joe was my responsibility and you were his. He watched your back through everything. I guess, seeing you two fight and not be the best friends you're meant to be, kind of turns my stomach. Its not right that you're not best friends anymore."

"We're still friends, Kevin." I told my brother, lying my head on his shoulder. "I don't know what's going on."

"This wouldn't have anything to do with Sam, would it?" Kevin asked me; his voice casual.

I bit my head and nodded my head very slowly.

"I knew it," Kevin sounded amused. "I guess that crush, isn't just a crush anymore."

"Nope," I nodded sadly. "Joe told me a few minutes ago that I don't have a chance with her. Kev, he's right. I don't have a chance. She loves Joe. Its written all over their faces."

"I think Joe feels threatened by you," Kevin rested his head on top of mine.

"Why me?"

"Because, you're the best friend. You're Sam's fall back boy; the guy who she can rely on no matter what. Don't do anything to jepoardise that; it means more than you know."

"Thanks Kevin," I sighed. Kevin was right. "I'm sorry I lost it before. I haven't cried like that in ages."

"Yeah, since Joe decided you were able to fly and pushed you down the stairs on your tenth birthday," Kevin laughed and I joined him.

"I remembe that," I nodded, smiling.

"If you're going to take any of my advice, ever, take this," Kevin turned to look at me. "Take advantage of the oppurtunities you have. Joe loves you. Sam loves you. They're both your best mates. Keep 'em at your side. You never know when you're going to need someone."

I smiled at my brother who pulled me into a hug.

"Now, off to talk to Joe," Kevin got up. I watched him go; shocked.

"What? Why?"

"He needs a stern talking to," Kevin grinned at me and closed my door. He really was the best brother ever.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kevin <33
I want a brother like Kevin.
Comment?