Australia

Chapter Five

Joe’s POV
It was 1.15am. It had been just over 2 hours since the concert finished. Yet, the girl with the red dress and high heels was still unconscious. I hadn’t ever made someone pass out before. Well, maybe I had, but I wasn’t aware of it.
In a way, I felt sorry for her. I didn’t know why she had passed out. Her friend had told us her name was Samantha, or Sam. Apparently, she didn’t like being called Samantha. I sighed and check the time on my iphone again.
1.18am.
I looked around the green room; we were stuck there because the first aid people had left. Nick was dozing in the chair on the other side of the lounge Sam was lying on. Kevin was curled up on another one of the couches. I had insisted on waiting to see if she was okay. We had a day off between each Sydney show before we moved onto Melbourne. Sam was lucky, very lucky. I pushed Sam’s hair back from her face again. She was really pretty. Her skin was slightly tanned; a brush of freckles across her nose. Her mouth was curled into the slightest smile. I wish I could see her eyes. I sighed.

Kevin shifted, and a thud brought me out of my trance. I pulled away quickly from Sam.

“What?” Nick’s voice sounded from his chair. “What’s happening? I’m up.”

Kevin got up, rubbing his hip. I’m guessing that’s what he landed on. Sam stirred and her eyes started to open. The three of us crowded around her; eyes wide with anticipation. Her eyes opened fully. It must have taken her a little while to register her surroundings. Her eyes suddenly bugged out and she sat up, her forehead colliding with mine hard. I clutched my forehead; backing away.

“Oh!” Sam’s voice came. “I’m so sorry! Oh my gosh. I should go. My mum will be having a fit.”

“Hey! Wait!” I told her, my voice betraying me. “Stay?” I rubbed my forehead one more time before sitting down in my chair from before. I gestured for my brothers to do the same and they complied. She edged her way slowly to the lounge and sat down next to Kevin.

“Um,” her small voice said. “What time is it?”

Nick glanced at his watch before answering, “About half one.” He half smiled at her.

“Oh,” her reply was even smaller than her question.

We sat in an awkward silence. I glanced up. Kevin had somehow gone back to sleep and Nick was leaning back in his chair, elbow resting on the arm, head resting in his palm. He was just about out of it too. I stood up, shaking Kevin and Nick gently.

“Come on guys. We’ll go back to the hotel,” I suggested. Sam looked up at me.

“You too,” I nodded at her.

We walked down the stairwell outside the arena.

“Oh,” I remembered. “Your friend told me to pass this on to you.” I pulled her phone from my back pocket and handed it to her.”

Sam took it from me sheepishly. She hit a button and the light lit up, revealing that she had 27 missed calls and 3 texts. I watched her as she scanned the missed calls list. She deleted the notifications and shivered. I took off my jacket and offered it to her. She half smiled, and I helped her into it. She pulled it closed around her. She smiled at me again; a real smile which I returned.

The limo was parked on the road. Kevin clambered in, Nick followed. I climbed in and offered Sam my hand. She took it; I noticed how cold her hands were. Kevin told the driver we were heading to the hotel; telling him to turn up the heat as well.

I sat back with my head resting against the chair. I looked over at Sam. She sat in the other corner on the back seat. She had her hand tucked into my jacket sleeves in an attempt to keep them warm, her forehead was resting against the limo window. She looked tired. I scooted over closer to her and wrapped my arm around her shoulders. She looked at me, with her eyes; big, blue and sparkling. I wiggled my shoulder, indicating for her to rest her head on it. She did so, but I could feel how tense she was. I could also feel my brothers watching me. I shrugged it off. It was going to be an interesting night.