Australia

Chapter Fifty

Joe’s POV

I sniffed back my tears that were threatening to fall. I hadn’t cried in years. But it was something about what Kevin was saying and how he said that made me really emotion. Damn him and his sentimentality. I slowed my pace as I approached Nick’s room. I was unaware what I was going to find. Kevin had said Nick was really upset with himself. I really didn’t want to go storming in there; I’m not really the brother who takes care of the crying emotional side of anybody. Except if it was Sam. I didn’t want Nick fearing me or feeling threatened by me in anyway. Gosh; I was nervous about talking to my brother. I mentally slapped myself and knocked on Nick’s slightly opened door. He was sitting on his bed, leaning against the headboard. He had one knee pulled up and his head was resting on the wall behind him. He looked broken.

“Nick?” I half whispered. Nick lifted his head off the wall and opened his eyes. They weren’t filled with shock or fear; his eyes screamed sadness. My little Nick was sad.

“Hey,” he said in a quiet voice. He closed his eyes again; turning his head away from me.

“Can I come in?” I didn’t want to push my luck. I watched Nick nod. I made my way slowly over to his bed and sat on the edge. We sat in complete silence; besides our breathing the room was silent.

“So um,” Nick’s voice broke our awkward silence. “What do you want?”

“To talk,” I bit my lip. “And to apologise.”

I looked over at Nick and he was watching me.

“Apologise for what?” He sat up; crossing his legs underneath him.

"For what I said earlier," I turned to face Nick completely. "It was out of line and I'm sorry."

"But its true," he shrugged. "I don't have a chance with Sam. Its you she's in love with."

I flicked my fringe out of my eyes and looked at Nick; eyes wide and mouth slightly agape. Sam's in love with me? What?

"Sam's in love with me?" I asked Nick; my voice kind of croaky.

"Yeah," he answered. "Isn't it obvious?"

I sat staring at Nick.

"I'll talk that as a no," Nick sighed. "Why do you think I feel so crappy right now? She's in love with you, and I'm not completely sure, but I'm pretty sure you're in love with her too. I've seen the way you looks at each other. Gazing into each others eyes and all that. I don't want to get in the way of all that."

"You're Sam's best friend Nick," I told him. Truth be told I was taken aback by is honesty. "She really cares about you."

"And I care about her," he shrugged. "Nothing has to change. Im her friend, you're the boyfriend. Its the way things should be."

"I don't want you feeling bad for liking her Nick," I told him. "Its understandable. Like, she's an awesome girl. She treats everyone like they're the most important person in the world. You feel nothing but love in her hugs. It's like she has a special smile for each and every individual; you can't help but smile back at her."

I looked up to find Nick smiling at me.

"What?" I asked him; I looked around nervously.

"You are, Joe," he shook his head; still smiling at me. "You're in love with her, you big lug."

I smiled back at my brother. Its true. I'm in love. How strange.

"Maybe I am," I grinned. "But, are we cool?"

"Of course," Nick stood up. I followed suit. "Just take care of her, yeah?"

"Sure thing, man," I told him. We shook hands and I pulled him into a brief hug.

"Um, guys?" Kevins voice came from the doorway. "We gotta go. Oh. And are you sure neither of you have my Police t-shirt?"

"Yeah, I'm sure Kevin," Nick told him and I nodded in agreement.

Kevin walked away and I looked back at Nick.

"Bros before hoes, remember?" I grinned at him.

"Bros before hoes," he bumped his fist against mine before grabbing his suitcase and walking out. I followed, closing the door behind me.

I'm in love. I sighed and shook my head at the thought; smiling. I felt someone lace their fingers through mine. I turned to see Sam standing beside me; both of our suitcases were beside her.

"You ready?" she smiled sweetly at me.

"As I'll ever be," I answered; returning her smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm just making everything cool between Nick and Joe between the TCA's.