Australia

Chapter Seventy

August 15

Joe's POV

Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday to me. Happy birthday, dear Danger. Happy birthday to me.

The tune ran through my head time and time again. I opened my eyes and the lack of sunlight peering through the long curtains that shielded the windows told me it was still early. I reached for my phone and checked the time. Sure enough, it was only 5am. I sat up slowly and rubbed my eyes; removing the crustiness from the tears last night. I shook my head and rubbed my neck; stretched my arms above my head. I glanced over at Sam's bed. She was still sleeping; lying on her back with her face facing in my direction. The blankets were pushed down her torso and rested on her hip. I watched as her chest rose and fell with every breath. Her face was soft and a small smile rested on her lips. She must be dreaming; of Nick no doubt. I kicked back the blankets and stood up quietly. I padded over to Sam's bed and looked down at her sleeping form. She's beautiful. She'd perfect; prefect for me and in general. I love her. But I guess today was doomsday. Today marked the end of our three month run. I leaned down and placed a small kiss on her forehead. She stirred. I look a small step back, not wanting to scar her. Her eyes fluttered open and her sleepy face looked up at me.

"Joe?" her voice was small and soft; obviously still tired.

"Yeah honey," I whispered, stepping back up close to her and running my fingers through her hair. "It's me."

"What's going on?" she stretched a little and settled back into the pillow.

"Nothing," I smiled down at her. "Its still early. Go back to sleep."

She closed her eyes and lay her head back in its original position. I pulled the blankets up a little higher; resting it over her chest. She shifted again and smiled. I ran my fingers through her hair again.

"I love you, Sammy," I whispered and placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

"Mhm," Sam murmured in her sleep and smiled again.

"Even if you don't love me too," I told her softly.

I walked to the bathroom and took a quick shower; soaking my body in the hot spray. I felt it untense my back and neck muscles. It made me feel better; sort of. I stepped out of the shower and dried my body quickly and pulled on a pair of boxers and baggy shorts and chuck a tank top over my head. I dried my hair with the towel and ran my fingers through it in an attempt to make it look decent. I walked out of the bathroom and glanced at Sam. She was curled up now. I smiled and sat down on my bed and pulled my runners on. I grabbed my iphone and plugged in the headphone. I shoved them in my ears and with one last glance at Sam I walked out of the room, made my way down the stairs and walked out side. It was only dusk; a faint blue light lay about the city but the street lights were still on. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through my music; settling on Switchfoot, I placed it back in my pocket and started off on a jog. I let my thoughts wonder to the possibly outcomes of this evening.

I sped up into a run.

I could come up with three possibilities. One; Sam will break up with me. We will sit down in the restaurant, order a nice meal and an ice tea, we'll get half way through the meal and she'll tell me straight out that she doesn't want to see me anymore. It'll be heartbreaking but at least it's straight out and honest.

I turned round the first corner of the block I was running around.

Two; she'll tell me that she's leaving me for Nick. We'll go out for dinner and she'll break up with me and tomorrow I'll see her with Nick as she has been the last three days. That would be more heart breaking than option one but I'll just have to adapt.

I turned the second corner; flashing a friendly smile at the people setting up fruit vendors on the street.

Three; she'll break up with me and go back to Australia. I'll never see her again. That's the most devastating option. I shook that thought out of my head. There's no way she'll leave. We all mean too much to her; well I though I did. But, at least Nick would be enough to keep her here.

I rounded the third corner of the block I was running around.

Maybe she wasn't breaking up with me. Maybe she just had something to talk to me about. Maybe she didn't want to be with me as a couple but wanted to stay friends. Maybe she just wanted to talk to me about the events on the night of the Teen Choice Awards. Maybe she... Who am I kidding? She's breaking up with me for sure. She had said "we need to talk." It's the most used pre-break up line in the world. It was over and I'm just going to have to get used to it. I sighed as I rounded the final corner and I sprinted to the hotel. I slowed to a jog as I approached the doors. I walked through; breathing deeply bringing my breathing back to normal. I decided to take the elevator back upstairs.

I entered the room and found Sam awake. She was sitting on her bed running a comb through her hair. She was wearing a white denim skirt that sat at the middle of her thigh and a light blue singlet. She ran her fingers through her hair and loostened the curls. I hadn't noticed that her hair had grown. On her feet, she wore a pair of white flip flops. It was such a pretty but casual outfit.

"Hey Sam," I greeted her with a smile.

"Hey Joe," she smiled back at me and stood up.

"How are you today?" I asked casually. My mind was still racing from the talk I had with my brain throughout my jog.

"I'm pretty good," she replied, pulling her long strapped hand bag over her shoulder. "Did you go for a run?"

"Yeah, just to clear my head," I nodded at her; rubbing my head. I wish that just rubbing it cleared it completely.
"Oh, cool," she smiled softly at me.

"So, where are you going?" I asked; she was clearly ready to go out somewhere.

"Out with Nick," she lifted her hair from where it was stuck under the strap. "I've got some things to do today and he offered."

"Oh," I said to her. She was even going to hang out with Nick on my birthday. But then again, if she was breaking up with me, she wouldn't want to hang with me all day.
She got up and walked towards the door. She stepped out; leaving me standing watching her. I looked at the open door. Was she serious? She appeared in the door way and my heart did a back flip.

"Oh, and Joe?" she said.

"Yeah?" I looked up hopefully.

She walked up to me and wrapped her arms around my neck; hugging me tightly.

"Happy birthday," she whispered in my ear. She let go of me quickly and walked away.

I sighed as I walked back to the bathroom to take a longer shower. At least she didn't forget my birthday.
♠ ♠ ♠
Part one of Joe's birthday.
Comments?