Australia

Chapter Seventy Five

Joe’s POV

True to Sam’s word, karaoke started right after Switchfoot’s song. But it wasn’t your usually karaoke. It was Disney style. Not just recent tracks from Demi and my brothers and I, but ones from the Disney cartoon movies as well as a few well known favourites from Taylor Swift as well as television theme tunes. You had to draw a duet partner out of a hat. Not everyone had put their names in but the majority of us had.

I can’t even begin to tell you how funny it was to watch Greg Garbowsky and David Henrie singing “Can You Feel the Love Tonight? from the Lion King. They did a pretty good rendition of it; they couldn’t look each other in the eye afterwards however. Frankie and my mum had to sing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" from Mary Poppins which was hysterical because neither of them could pronounce the word. Demi and I pulled out a terrific “Hakuna Matata” from the Lion King. Zac Efron and Sam sang “A Whole New World” from Aladdin and she blushed the whole way through. I laughed at her and earned myself a slap.

Other duets were "Beauty and the Beast," "Under the Sea" and our version of "Poor Unfortunate Souls.” After everyone had clapped Sterling Knight and my dad off the stage, my mum took the stage. I once again looked at Nick’s watch. 11pm. I wasn’t even tired.

“Okay,” my mum smiled into the audience. “Now, we’re changing things up a little. What I’ll do is read out a title of a song, and the room will nominate someone to sing it. Ill push the random button on the playlist. Does everyone understand?”

I glanced around to see everyone nodding.

“Good,” Mum walked over and pushed a button on the machine. “First song is, Catch Me by Demi Lovato. Who do we vote for that one?”

The room started chanting. “Demi! Demi! Demi!”

She stood up smiling and stepped up on to stage. She was handed the microphone and started singing softly.

Before I fall too fast,
Kiss me quick
But make it last.
So I can see how badly this will hurt me
When you say good bye.

Keep it sweet
Keep it slow
Let the future pass
And don't let go
But tonight I could fall to soon under this beautiful moonlight

But you're so hypnotizing
You got me laughing while i sing
You got me smiling in my sleep
And I can see this unravelling
And your love is where I’m falling
But please don't catch me


Demi bowed as she finished her song and we applauded.

As the songs went on, we were all called up more than once. Some of the songs were upbeat and some were slower. Nick got called up to sing A Little bit Longer, Sam sang one or two of Demi’s songs and I had been up more than once myself. Others in the room also got selected. Particularly, Garbo and David Henrie.

“Alright alright,” mum laughed from the stage. “Yes, Greg’s performance was spectacular.”

He had just performed La La Land by Demi. We practically laughed him of the stage.

“Calm down you lot,” mum composed herself and cleared her throat. “Next song.”

She watched the rotor turn and her face lit up when it stopped.

“I think we’ll have a bit of a competition for this one,” she addressed the audience. “Give Love A Try from the Jonas soundtrack. Who do we nominate?”

“I nominate Joe!” Nick said quickly. He had sung the most out of all of us.

“Does anyone have any objections?” I watched mum scan the audience. “Okay, Joe. You’re up.”

I stood up with a smile for Sam and took the stage. The song started and I nodded my head slowly to the acoustic beat.

You, you like driving on a Sunday.
You, you like taking off on Monday.
You, you're like a dream; a dream come true.

I, I'm just a face you never notice.
Now I'm just trying to be honest.
With myself, with you, with the world.

You might think that I'm a fool
for falling over you
but tell me what can I do to prove to you
that it's not so hard to do
give love a try, one more time
‘cause you know that I'm on your side
give love a try, one more time


I looked up and found Sam’s eyes. I sang to her and only her; like we were the only two people in the room.

In your eyes, when I saw them for the first time,
and that I was gonna love you for a long time
with a love so real, so right

How did it play out like a movie,
now every time its beat can move me,
and I can't get your smile off my mind.


I bit my lip and flicked my fringe out of my eyes.

‘cause you might think that I'm a fool
for falling over you
and tell me what can I do to prove to you
that it's not so hard to do
give love a try, one more time
‘cause you know that I'm on your side
give love a try, one more time
one more time


The room filled with applause and I smiled out into it; finally breaking eye contact with Sam. I was going to do it tonight. I had to. I walked down and sat beside Sam at the table, which had been dragged out during the course of the karaoke demonstration. She leaned into me and rested my head on my shoulder.

“I love your voice,” she told me; smiling.

“Well, I love you and your voice,” I smiled.

“I never did give you your birthday present,” she pulled away and leant down to her bag. She pulled out a black box and lsid it onto the table for me. I kissed her on the cheek.

“Thank you,” i smiled at her and lifted the lid. Inside was a silver dogtag on a chain. I pulled it out and inspected it.

“Read the inscription,” Sam instructed.

“5/15/09 - ∞ always,” i read allowed. I looked at Sam.

“15th of May; the day we met till infinity,” she smiled.

“And the always?” i asked.

She lifted her locket from where it sat with the asthma dog tag Nick had given her and turned it over.

“Fly With Me; Always,” she smiled.

“Thank you,” i gave her a chaste kiss on the lips. “This is the sweetest thing in the world.”

“You’re welcome,” she smiled back at me. I looked her in the eyes and i saw something there. Admiration? Adoration? NO; it was love. I was going to do it tonight. I had to.

“Given that it’s nearly 1.30am, I think we have time for just one more,” Mum told us and pressed the button on the machine. I glanced around people had drizzled out over the course of the evening and a few had dozed off.

“Taylor Swift’s Love Story,” mum announced.

“Do it Sam,” i nudged her gently. “I know you love this song.”

“But..” she started.

“Mum, I nominate Sam,” I said loudly.

“Any objections?” mum asked the crowd and as usual, the crowd was silent. “Alright Sammy, sweetie; Up you come.”

Sam stood up and approached the stage. She stepped up and mum handed her the microphone before stepping down. I saw Sam take a deep breath as the songs music began to play.
♠ ♠ ♠
Karaoke is always fun.
This was edited.
Comments please? :)